Jetbeam PA40 Fault

Hellz

Newly Enlightened
I got my Jetbeam PA40 back in November and initially was very impressed with its performance. However, after replacing the batteries for the first time I noticed that the Blinking LED warning light came on after only a few minutes use, and in use did not last very long at all. I assumed this might be a problem with the Eneloop batteries so ordered a new set of the Eneloop XX 2600mah. These however performed in exactly the same way, with the battery indicator coming on after a few minutes. In addition to this, I noticed the battery indicator flickered when you moved the torch about. Giving the torch a little shake whilst pointing down causes the indicator light to light up solid red (a state that is not mentioned in the literature).

There is a rattle and you can feel the battery housing moving around inside.

I then tried it with 2 sets of Panasonic Pro Power batteries, with the same results. The light was returned to Heinnies Haynes where I bought it from who in turn sent it to Jetbeam UK. The light arrived back a few days later stating they could not find a fault and blamed poor battery condition. I popped some new batteries in and started a stopwatch; Four minutes later the indicator comes on. Little shake, LED changes to solid red.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I don't know what to do with it as I've pretty much lost faith in this piece of equipment.

Very disappointed as this was my 40th Birthday present.

Would appreciate any advice,

Thanks,
Patrick

tam17

Enlightened
I am not an expert but I do own PA40 and this looks like a poor contact issue. Have you cleaned all the contact points (batt. holder to head and all the contact springs inside the batt. holder)? Are all the visible connections firm? If there's an excessive rattle inside the flashlight and problem arises when you move the flashlight, it could mean that contact is only intermittent or not sufficient for enough current to reach the driver, thus tripping the battery indicator. I'd also try inserting a small foam rubber pad on the back of battery holder, in order to gently push the holder towards the head. If this doesn't help, problem is probably in the circuitry.

Cheers,

Tam

luvbelly

Newly Enlightened
I have had the PA40 for a few months now and there is absolutely no rattle with mine. Did yours do that from the get go or did this develop after the battery change? I carried mine on my duty belt for a couple of months and haven't had to change the batteries yet. A guess at actual run time is around 3-4 hours although most of that was not on high. I have dropped my light (never on purpose) with absolutely no ill effects. It seems like a tough dependable design which has left me completely satisfied although I freely admit I could just be lucky or you unlucky. No complaints here on run time or issues with the battery indicator. Good luck with yours and I am currious what you find the culprit is.

aimxplode

Enlightened
I have had the PA40 for a few months now and there is absolutely no rattle with mine. Did yours do that from the get go or did this develop after the battery change? I carried mine on my duty belt for a couple of months and haven't had to change the batteries yet. A guess at actual run time is around 3-4 hours although most of that was not on high. I have dropped my light (never on purpose) with absolutely no ill effects. It seems like a tough dependable design which has left me completely satisfied although I freely admit I could just be lucky or you unlucky. No complaints here on run time or issues with the battery indicator. Good luck with yours and I am currious what you find the culprit is.

My PA40 indicator trips pretty early too (blinking after 5-10 min on high). I just change the batteries when it starts blinking on low.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I had the battery problem of it blinking early when i used older eneloops. With a bit newer ones it was fine. Also i had 0 rattle. Tough light, i really miss it.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Hmmm weird
I have no rattle at all. My indicator blinks early but stated battery life is as advertised.
I love mine, sorry yours is a bum. Maybe it needs replaced by the beam

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
There should be a 14 day (or something like that) replacement warranty. If you still could be bothered, get them to exchange for a new light, these "light engineers" can be a bit of a hit or miss at times.

I wouldn't be too disappoint if I was you. My Jetbeam Ti M had some issues, and the modes will not switch properly. I emailed Jetbeam China for help as the closest Jebeam dealer in Australia (apparently) IS CHINA. They got me to mail the light to a Hong Kong dealer, I did that and it came back a few weeks later and they told me that I "Just didn't know the modes of the light well enough. It works fine". (They can go fk themselves.)

I even had to pay for BOTH of the shipping, to and fro. Then I later, purely out of luck, figured the reason to the malfunction. The lens I used was too thin and the electrical connection was apparently affected as a result. Why did I use the wrong lens? Because the original one was damaged and Jetbeam simply said they don't have any in stock, I can't even buy one from them.

BOTTOM LINE, I hear your headaches. Beat the iron while it is still hot, if you want a new light that actually work properly, go talk to your dealer NOW!

kkeyser

Newly Enlightened
My Jetbeam Ti M had some issues, and the modes will not switch properly. I emailed Jetbeam China for help as the closest Jebeam dealer in Australia (apparently) IS CHINA. They got me to mail the light to a Hong Kong dealer, I did that and it came back a few weeks later and they told me that I "Just didn't know the modes of the light well enough. It works fine". (They can go fk themselves.)

I even had to pay for BOTH of the shipping, to and fro. Then I later, purely out of luck, figured the reason to the malfunction. The lens I used was too thin and the electrical connection was apparently affected as a result. Why did I use the wrong lens? Because the original one was damaged and Jetbeam simply said they don't have any in stock, I can't even buy one from them.

Damn. I will have to remember that when jetbeam gets around to updating their ti flashlight with an xm-l.

That's a shame...jetbeams are some of the best looking lights, that's for sure.

Hellz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the input and advice guys, it is much appreciated.

I want to clarify about the rattle in my PA40, when I give it a little shake there is a little rattle in the tail/button area but also a loud clonking noise as the battery carrier bounces around inside the torch body.

Do you think I'm right not to be happy with this? I hate making a fuss, but feel this isn't right and feel really disappointed that the dealer/manufacturer aren't taking it seriously.

I'll let you know what they say...

~Patrick

luvbelly

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the input and advice guys, it is much appreciated.

I want to clarify about the rattle in my PA40, when I give it a little shake there is a little rattle in the tail/button area but also a loud clonking noise as the battery carrier bounces around inside the torch body.

Do you think I'm right not to be happy with this? I hate making a fuss, but feel this isn't right and feel really disappointed that the dealer/manufacturer aren't taking it seriously.

I'll let you know what they say...

~Patrick

Yes, you are right to not be happy with this. Very interested in what you find out and how Jetbeam treats you.