Maglight 3D LED - upgrade possibilities?

schmart

Newly Enlightened
So this weekend, I was looking for a 2AA mini mag for my son's birthday. He mainly likes the look of it but does appreciate my brighter lights. I was looking for the new Pro + but couldn't find anything locally, but i did find some of the 4 mode versions. So I decided to settle on that for him, but for only $7 more than the individual 2AA light, I could get a "combo" pack that also included a 3D LED light. So now, I have a new body that I can sacrifice to experimentation.
In stock configuration, this light is a relatively impressive thrower, much better than anything else I have had, but I'd still like to ramp it up. I'm sure it has been discussed before, but none of my searches have been successful. I find lots of information on modding an incandescent host to LED, but haven't found anything on the LED model itself. I'd really like to have some idea what I am getting into before I start tearing things up so hoping I can be pointed to some pertinent threads.

My basic questions are, what emitter does it use and is there a good option for a high output replacement. What sort of driver is used? Can I simply replace the driver and "overdrive" the existing bulb. What would happen if I simply added 2 LiIon (eg 18650) cells and bumped the voltage up near 8V?

I would appreciate any help.
--Rick