Titanium Innovations CA1?

coltchris

Newly Enlightened
Anybody tried one of these little single AAA's? Per the specs., about quarter inch shorter & higher lumens and run time than the Fenix LD01. How does the overall quality compare?

mrlysle

Enlightened
I have one and love it. Very nice in every way. Try one. I don't think you'll be disappointed. BTW, :welcome:

coltchris

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Jeff; this old guy doesn't know much about the newer compact LED flashlights. All I've ever owned are Streamlights (Stinger, Ultra Stinger, TLR-1) & Surefires (P60, C2, 8AX Commander). Been browsing the internet for compact (3-3.5" Lg., 0.5-0.8" D) LED's and am amazed at volume of compact lights available! Got so confused, I had to make up a spread sheet for comparison before buying (got 18 lights on it already!). Still haven't made up my mind, but getting closer. Probably end up buying 2-3. Joined here to get opinions, but maybe more confusing as everyone has their favorites!!! Only kidding, have got lots of valuable info here.

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
Anybody tried one of these little single AAA's? Per the specs., about quarter inch shorter & higher lumens and run time than the Fenix LD01. How does the overall quality compare?
I bought one last fall for my wife's keychain and wound up with a second one (thank you, Battery Junction!) when the first order vanished and I re-ordered. Both of them are aluminum - I wanted to keep weight down.

I haven't seen the LD01 so can't directly compare it; I do have a Quark AA and I think the finish and quality is comparable, although not with the Quark's 10 year warranty. I've had mine in my pocket for a few months and there's the usual dings in the anodizing, but it hasn't worn objectionably. It operates smoothly with the twisty cap; it's quite feasible to operate this single-handed.

I really like that this tiny finger-sized light, that fits through a wedding ring, can put out 100 lumens for most of an hour (on a fresh battery); and even the 30 lumens for 3 hours is fantastic compared to the 2-D-cell incandescent flashlights of unlamented memory. More than enough time and light to change a tire, which is my "go to" scenario for flashlight use. I also like that unlike the "fauxton" style keychain light, that there's some real power behind this - those little 5 mm LEDs fan out very quickly and are less useful if you're trying to, oh, say, find a breaker box across the basement.

I've even seen my wife use hers, when I dropped something at the theatre and couldn't quickly find it, she immediately pulled out her key chain and lit up the dark floor for the hunt; this made me quite happy.

I quite like the two I've purchased.

Bill

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
coltchris,
:welcome:
Another great option for AAA light is the Klarus MiX6.

It's similar in size to the CA1 and comes in stainless steel or titanium.

It does not have PWM like the CA1 so the runtimes are much better at the lower levels.

coltchris

Newly Enlightened
Still haven't pulled the trigger; about got myself talked out of a chain light! Now leaning towards a Lumapower Incendio V3U; not much bigger & liking the power! Trying to decide which model now.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy coltchris, and welcome to CPF,
You know, it happens all the time. A new member finds CPF while looking for a particular light, only to end up realizing that a completely different light might be more useful.

I'd recommend that you hold off purchasing anything for a week or two. Spend some time becoming acquainted with the various types of lights that are available. Sometimes it's the small differences between lights that can make a huge difference in how easy they are to use.

For instance, the UI (user interface) is something I always think about before a purchase. How many light levels does it have? How are they spaced? After the initial WOW factor of a really bright light wears off, most CPF members begin to realize how really useful the lower light levels can be, and many of us won't even consider a light without a "moonlight" mode.

Does it have a "memory" mode (comes on in the last level used) or does it come on in the same level each time? There are good and bad points to each, but it's important to realize you have a choice. Some folks want their light to come on in low every time, some want it to come on in high, and some prefer to either have a memory mode or have a light that gives a choice of either high OR low from off (Zebralight).

Tint and CRI, the color and quality of the light, have become hot topics hear on CPF. Many manufacturers now offer "neutral" or "warm" tinted versions in addition to the "cool white" LEDs that typically come standard in most LED lights. Spend some time learning about the differences.

Many of us here on CPF prefer to use rechargeable batteries, but there are many types to pick from, so I'd also recommend that you learn about the various types and why one might be better than another for a particular application.

The idea is to spend your money wisely. I think many CPF member carry at least 2 lights. A good keyring light and another EDC light. Think about how you will use your light and let that guide your research.

Ok, enough of that. Here are a few links that you might find helpful:

Battery University:
http://batteryuniversity.com/

Flashlight review sites:
http://www.light-reviews.com/reviews.html
http://www.flashlightreviews.ca
http://www.lygte-info.dk/review/Reviews UK.html

coltchris

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Derek; great info. I've been researching for about (2) weeks now & have already learned alot since joining CPF. I have (19) lights on a spreadsheet already to compare for my needs. At my age, cannot trust memory!!! Before I'm done, will probably buy at least two plus charger & batteries. I've learned more about LED's, warm/cool/neutral, batteries, and the like in the past week than in my prior 73 yrs.!!!!!

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had I think an older model of the illuminati and I wasn't thrilled with it. It's nothing to do with the light really, it's just titanium isn't great for a twisty light, it tends to be tough to turn. I eventually sold mine. It's definitely not a bad light though.

coltchris

Newly Enlightened
Keith: The TI or the Incendio V3U? I'm seriously considering the Incendio V3U XM-L T5 Neutral from Illumination Gear. Appears this is only place you can get the XM-L. Do they give any discount to CPF members? If so, how do you get discount?

coltchris

Newly Enlightened
Thanks; but it won't let me enter! Probably because I'm a new member w/o enough posts or something like that!!!

mrlysle

Enlightened
Thanks; but it won't let me enter! Probably because I'm a new member w/o enough posts or something like that!!!
Don't forget you'll need to register on the Marketplace, and log in, also. Probably just use your same user name and password there as well. Easier to remember that way! lol

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
coltchris,
Did you see what I wrote to your same question in the other thread?

Quote Originally Posted by coltchris
Anyone ever try a Titanium Innovations CA1? About a quarter inch shorter than LD01 with higher lumen/run time & $5 cheaper. Just wonder about overall quality & longevity.

Don't trust the manufactures specs, Fenix is using FL1 specs (timed after 3 min) while Titanium Innovations is using either emitter lumens or possibly their imagination. Actual max brightness of the CA1 is probably closer to 84lm and drops quickly from there.

I have both the LD01 R4 Alu and the IlluminaTi R5 Titanium. I think the LD01 is the better light. My LD01 is brighter on High and Med. According to the reviews the LD01 is also much more efficient on Med and Low. I can't find a good review right this sec of the latest version current regulated LD01. But here is the review of the CA1: Check out the runtimes on Med
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ead.php?321589
and
http://www.flashlightreviews.ca/IlluminaTi.htm

Codecracker

Newly Enlightened
Hey ColtChris:

I'm a relative newbie here and to hi-end flashlights. I have a good friend who got me involved and now I am hooked.

I have a Ti-CA1-AL in Black and I love it. The low mode is very nice, and for an AAA light it blazes on High. The fit and finish is excellent and it's packaging is wonderful. Nice clip, which I use all the time, it will tailstand and it's keychain connection is also nice.

Personally, I have learned very early on to not get to carried away with slight differences in specs on paper. If you bought a CA1 you would be pleased that you now own a precision tool. Keep it in mint condition and you could always give it away if you found another tool you liked better.

Latest posts