Weird Question: Best Handheld Light for Foreign Travel?

uber1911

Newly Enlightened
Here you go CPFers: I have a weird question for you.

This summer I am going to Chile for three weeks as part of an exchange. I have never been there before (or even to South America for that matter) and I sure know that I would feel better if I had a dependable and bright torch by my side the whole way.

I am completely open to suggestions and your creativity but there are a couple of restrictions.

1) Since I will be travelling by plane, obviously no strike bezels or other sharp features
2) Budget of under $100
3) I don't need any fancy features such as strobe or SOS but as long as they are hidden well, no problem
4) Relatively compact for travel with commonly available batteries
5) Decent output on high: think tactical level (approx 100 lumens)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4Sevens Quark AA tactical. I carry it all the time when I travel also at home. AA batteries (also runs on 14500) so easily available batteries, compact, reliable.

strinq

Enlightened
I think almost any AA light would be the best choice.
Compact, easy to find batteries, and with newer lights, 100 lumens and long runtimes are not an issue.
Fenix LD10, Quark AA, Sunwayman V10A etc etc.

uber1911

Newly Enlightened
With the Preon II, I'm sure he meant AAA.

So the general consensus lies with AA batteries, and I have 4sevens and Zebralight suggestions. Would a Surefire 6px or g2x pro be out of the question then due to their 123 power cells which are not the best for this application? I am a fan of the 4sevens quark AA tactical. I just don't want the light to die out on me while I am over there due to possible rough airline/travel treatment.

Tolip

Newly Enlightened
I'll be going to South America for a month in a couple of weeks. I plan on taking a Preon 2 with a lot of lithium AAAs, and my TK-35.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both the Preon 2 and the Zebralight have very soft switches - can trip accidentally and drain the batteries.

There ate unscrupulous customs and airport security people out there who will try to impound things that takes their fancy.
KISS.

1AA
Fenix E11 Cree XP-E LED 1xAA Flashlight $26.95.
Quark MiNi AA, $39.00

2AA
Mini Maglite Pro+ $28.99. Don't go swimming with this one.
Fenix E21 Cree XP-E LED 2xAA Model $34.95
Quark MiNi AA², $43.00 This is the shortest 2AA I know, no lumpy head, fits in back pocket.

uber1911

Newly Enlightened
and my TK-35.

Yeah I am wondering if I would want something with a lot more power in addition to a smaller light. 800 lumens sounds pretty good to me. But...the price tag. What could I get for under 100 that breaks into the 300-400 lumen realm and remains pocket-portable?

Would a 4sevens Maelstrom G5 for $75 be worth it?

But the Quark Mini AA2 or AA Tactical sounds very good practicality-wise for much less.

Last edited:

5Sport

Enlightened
I say it depends on where you are going (city or outdoors).  <BR><BR>I am leaving the country this summer for a bit and will be mostly in the city.  For that I say a Fenix LD10 (AA) with a Microstream or Pelican 1910 (AAA) as a backup.  If I was going outdoors, I would add a Surefire with a Malkoff drop in and a spare led.  + extra batteries.<BR><BR>Of course the more rural the area, the more lighting and backups.<BR><BR>For foreign travel, the AA and AAA format would allow you to get extra batteries pretty easily.<BR><BR>just my .02

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
But the Quark Mini AA2 or AA Tactical sounds very good practicality-wise for much less.
I bought an Quark neutral X AA2 Tactical and a AA body.
I can run it in:
2AA configuration.
14500 in 1AA configuration.
1AA configuration. I lost max (260 lumens) with only 1AA.
(max on the Quark neutral X AA2 Tactical cool white is 280 lumens) The X versions are very floody less throw.