Luxeon 5W headlight

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened
Does anybody know anything about the new Nova 5W headlamp? Are there other similar headlamps out there? I'm a ranger and need lots of lights for search and rescue.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes.. here's their website..
http://www.speleo.co.uk

here's a sorta review.. (their long-term test is in the works)
http://www.hnh.dircon.co.uk/tested_nova.htm

i saw a game warden with one of these.. it's very bright.. i didn't see it against a wall or any similar surface so i can't comment on it's beam quality..
but i sure would've liked to have that light instead of my pt40..

-Ryan

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened
What state was the game warden in? I'm trying to figure out what we should purchase for search and rescue in New Hampshire. Thanks for the review!

Yukon_72

Newly Enlightened
I have 2 of these Nova's. Are Pricey. I would sell one of them. They do offer great light for working outdoors. Lights everything up. I was hoping for more throw from them to have a better spot further ahead. The switch takes some getting used to and I think the 5 levels are too much. 3 would be better. Headband is a bit small and their plug is big and bulky. Not sure of run time yet as I have been using different batteries, but can run off one 3 volt lithium cell. Not sure if their boost circuit drives the lamp to the upper range of its specs or not, or how effecient it is.

I really like the light ouput, the lightness and is wellbuilt. Waiting to see how it works in the cold.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yukon 72, how is its whiteness? greenish or blue?

Based on its spec, whenever you switch on the light, it will go to next brightness sequence of last brightness before the light is switched off. It means you have to switch 4 times everytime you switch on the light in order to get last brightness.

It's not quite efficient to use 3.6v (li-ion) to boost for the 5 watter. I guess they want to make the light to be compatible with their current batteries setup.

Alan