Klarus        
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: FS: 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 Maglite Mod With Voltage Monitor - Parts, or Complete Light!

Default Re: FS: 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 Maglite Mod With Voltage Monitor - Parts, or Complete Ligh

My 2D Mag Review

I am very new to this scene and stumbled across the forum recently and across this thread. I contacted Jayrob and he helped me understand what the terminology meant and what my options were. His replies and updates were very prompt thought the process, from initial contact through shipping.

I bought a smoke 2D mag, 4 32600 batts, 1 charger, batt monitor. All arrived in perfect as well as new condition. The batteries arrived charged. The workmanship is perfect. you would not be able to look at the light and tell it is not factory prepared. Of course you would see its different as far as the LED etc, but as far as scratches or fittings etc it is a 10/10. Everything on it looks well thought out and prepared and you cannot see the marks of the creators hand.

The light functions perfectly. After a couple of weeks working with it and dropping it mistakenly several times it is still functioning. Having two sets of batteries is great for never having any downtime. Ive run the light on high for extended periods of time with no problems. It gets warm but not hot, not too hot to touch. it just seems to stay gently warm but does not heat up to any point of concern. To people on this forum the 1000 lumen rating on the light might be standard but to a layman it is VERY bright.

I live in Alabama, and recently we have had a lot of tornado damage and power outages. The light can be turned on high and completely illuminate a pitch black room as if there were an overhead light on. This is wonderful in a blackout situation. On high it turns night into day, from pitch black to easily visible. There are what looks to be about 4 rings of light that I can see coming off of my light. The hot spot in the very center. I bright circle around the hotspot. A very large circle that seems to span about 150 degrees and then a glow of light about 180 degrees. Outside at night or in the woods it illuminates everything in front of the light making it comfortably visible about the entire 180 degrees.

If shinning it into the crawlspace under a house the entire space becomes visible requiring much less crawling around in these. And if you are searching through debris or walking through a dark and dangerous area its a godsend. It is a good size and weight and the batteries last a significant amount of time between charges. The battery monitor is superb. It is fantastic being able to see how much power is left in the batteries. Its the first light ive had that late at night outside I can shine the light towards noises in the woods and actually see the deer off in the distance. Its bright enough and it throws long enough distance that it will make all the deer' eyes visible in the woods for a fairly lengthy distance. Also the light is bright enough and if you throw the hot spot directly at someone or somethings eyes, they seem to be completely blinded by it. I would not recommend doing this!

I frequently come in contact with a large dog who tends to jump up on me very aggressively. I dont know if some here would say this is cruelty to animals and if so I apologize, but recently when the dog began to run at me I shined the light towards him and as far as I could tell he could no longer see me. I was able to keep the light pointed in his direction and make my way across the yard without him coming toward me. Finish my work and repeat the process to exit the yard and wasnt jumped on or knocked down at all. This has worked for about 2 weeks now. He seems to know im there and will sniff the air and pace left and right but he will not advance into the light, he wont come forward or walk in that direction where he cannot see. So that is an added benefit I had not forseen.

Many other people I work with in construction jobs have said it was the brightest light they had ever seen and asked where to buy one. Since it looks identical to a standard Mag everyone assumes it is. The light is very expensive but since it looks standard I have not had anyone attempt to steal it so far off of any construction sites. Coming from using standard lights for work this 2D from Jayrob is beyond any type of comparison with all off the shelf stuff ive used. On low its as bright as almost every light ive used that are rated 200-300 lumens. Work lights from lowes like task force or Nebo etc are about as bright on high as this is on low.

Now I carry a small 220 lumen nebo and this 2d jayrob mag. Between those 2 I feel prepared for all situations throughout the day in which I need extra illumination. The reason for the smaller light is just for working in situations where I need to keep my light very low as not to disturb others working nearby. but overall I rate the light 5/5. It is bright and long lasting. It has a spot of light as well as illuminated almost everything in front. It is like having a flood and spot light on simultaneously. I hope to find an aspherical lens that will fit it to really see how for and bright a spot it could throw but have had no luck as of yet. My dealings were great and I plan on purchasing a matching 2D laser mod from jayrob also.

So far the only draw back that I have run into in regards to the light is having to search around and find out who is using my lite. It is now the defacto goto light on my work sites. People want to use it now instead of the others in the toolboxes.

PS to jayrob
    I see you found a source for the protected batteries, would there be any benefit to purchasing them as opposed to keeping the unprotected cells I already have?

Default Re: FS: 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 Maglite Mod With Voltage Monitor - Parts, or Complete Ligh

Thanks for posting back with your comments and review of the light!

Sounds like it's getting put through some heavy use and even taking some abuse. (getting dropped and stuff)

About the 32650's, some are non-protected, and others are protected. The protected ones barely will work in the 2 cell build. Not an issue for the Stubby version.

But I have some protected 32650's that I got from e-bay that just barely worked with a tail cap mod:

My batteries from e-bay, have a flat top. But the ones pictured here at this site:
    http://www.novaeproducts.com/apps/we...s/show/1846436

... show a different top in the picture. But I have not seen them yet. So I just need to really make sure of the overall length of those batteries before I can say for sure if they will work the same as my e-bay 32650's. (protected)

It would be best if I had the batteries to make sure, and I have ordered a pair to check them out...

The 32600's from Kaidomain work great for the 2 cell build with no tail cap mod. So since you have the voltage monitor, you don't need protected cells anyway!

as per the website, they say 2.5 inches, so like 63.5mm's. Maybe you could measure the ones you have to maybe compare them to the paper spec...and as for my light no real rush as long as I get it within a couple of months lol. Don't really need it here, just gonna be an "ooh ahh" factor maybe bring it off base on a trip or something here.
    Current lights: 3d Mag, Petzl Tikka XP, couple other Petzl headlamps, Green Inova clip light, 2011 Olight M20S warrior S2, Quark MiNi Ti AA---Soon: also a MiNi 123 Ti model. Something Throwy 1000+ lumens (on order) & Med Size Tact. Light

Quote Originally Posted by DivineStrike View Post
    as per the website, they say 2.5 inches, so like 63.5mm's. Maybe you could measure the ones you have to maybe compare them to the paper spec...and as for my light no real rush as long as I get it within a couple of months lol. Don't really need it here, just gonna be an "ooh ahh" factor maybe bring it off base on a trip or something here.
    The protected 32650's that I got from e-bay are 70mm's long. So hopefully these ones here are shorter:

I'll post the length and the fit when I get them on hand... (hopefully only a few days)

Flashaholic

I just got a pair of the 32650 batteries from Nova Eproducts. They are monsters. I didn't measure them, but I'd say 70mm sounds about right. In comparing them to a regular NiMH D cell it looks like they're almost 1/2 inch longer. I really like the amount of juice these will pack in the light (and the protection circuit), but they won't fit in my 2D the way it is. I think I will try to find someone who can cut me an extension for the battery tube (the rethreading would be the problem for me) that I can use to lengthen it when I use the big 32650's, but can be removed to use shorter cells. Also, Jayrob, I've had my light for around a month, now and I love it! Everyone is impressed by the workmanship, and blinding brightness. I'm saving my pennies to send you a Mag Charger for the mod too. Thanks again for a great product!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tjhabak View Post
    I just got a pair of the 32650 batteries from Nova Eproducts. They are monsters. I didn't measure them, but I'd say 70mm sounds about right. In comparing them to a regular NiMH D cell it looks like they're almost 1/2 inch longer. I really like the amount of juice these will pack in the light (and the protection circuit), but they won't fit in my 2D the way it is. I think I will try to find someone who can cut me an extension for the battery tube (the rethreading would be the problem for me) that I can use to lengthen it when I use the big 32650's, but can be removed to use shorter cells. Also, Jayrob, I've had my light for around a month, now and I love it! Everyone is impressed by the workmanship, and blinding brightness. I'm saving my pennies to send you a Mag Charger for the mod too. Thanks again for a great product!!!
    Does it look like they will work with a tail cap mod as shown in this picture? (I'll know soon enough, because I have ordered some of those batteries from that supplier)

An easy extension, would be to make a 1/8" thick spacer ring if necessary. Along with perhaps a similar tail cap mod as shown...

Glad you like the light!

Just let me know when your ready to mod your Mag Charger!

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by jayrob View Post
    Does it look like they will work with a tail cap mod as shown in this picture? (I'll know soon enough, because I have ordered some of those batteries from that supplier)

An easy extension, would be to make a 1/8" thick spacer ring if necessary. Along with perhaps a similar tail cap mod as shown...

Glad you like the light!

Just let me know when your ready to mod your Mag Charger!
    It looks like those batteries are about the same length. I bet it would work. Do you have an extra tailcap you could mod and sell me? I'd like to keep the original so I have the versatility to go back to the shorter cells if needed.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

The protected 32650's that I got from e-bay are 70mm's long. So hopefully these ones here are shorter:

I'll post the length and the fit when I get them on hand... (hopefully only a few days)

yea they look almost exactly like feilongs or whatever they are, which are 70mm; but I asked the guy and apparently they are custom ordered.
    Current lights: 3d Mag, Petzl Tikka XP, couple other Petzl headlamps, Green Inova clip light, 2011 Olight M20S warrior S2, Quark MiNi Ti AA---Soon: also a MiNi 123 Ti model. Something Throwy 1000+ lumens (on order) & Med Size Tact. Light

I have some of the non-protected 32650 Fielong's from Flydragon and they are only 67mm. But not protected...

tjhabak, I don't remember off the top of my head what color your light is, but I only have a silver tail cap as an extra...

PM me if your interested in it!

just curious, but is there any tests you can do on the batteries to see which is the "better" battery? or is it really just a trial by error kinda thing?

Enlightened

OK got my parts in. Got a few questions.

First and foremost. You have ordered from Kaidomain before? Any idea what there shipping times are? I've been waiting over two weeks for my batteries. The only other batteries i have are alkalies so i'm stuck...

Second, the battery monitor is wired in series with the led?

Third, there is some gap between the fiberglass ring and the body of the mag. should this be wraped to get a nice tight fit? Also the Heat sink appears to have a gap between it and the voltage monitor. What do you put in that gap so it doesn't rattle around?

Quote Originally Posted by Imapilot View Post
    OK got my parts in. Got a few questions.

First and foremost. You have ordered from Kaidomain before? Any idea what there shipping times are? I've been waiting over two weeks for my batteries. The only other batteries i have are alkalies so i'm stuck...

Second, the battery monitor is wired in series with the led?

Third, there is some gap between the fiberglass ring and the body of the mag. should this be wraped to get a nice tight fit? Also the Heat sink appears to have a gap between it and the voltage monitor. What do you put in that gap so it doesn't rattle around?
    Always takes 2 to 3 weeks from KD...

The voltage monitor gets wired in parallel. Just go by the color coded wire. Red - positive, black - negative.

I like to use a couple of dabs of silicone to glue the fiberglass ring in place. You want a gap between the voltage monitor and the heatsink/driver, because you may need to adjust the position of the heatsink. Also, you don't want the driver pressed up against the voltage monitor...

DivineStrike, I really don't have a way of actually testing the differences, but so far, it seem that all of these large format Li-Ion's are great quality batteries. They always arrive at the normal storage voltage of around 3.7 or 3.8 volts. And charge up to 4.2 volts.

They do take a while to charge up though... (because of the large capacity)

Jay,

Could you post the length of the Novae 32650's when you get them in? I'd be interested in them if they would fit my 2D or 1D mags.

Thanks!

mike

Quote Originally Posted by swrdply400mrelay View Post
    Jay,

Could you post the length of the Novae 32650's when you get them in? I'd be interested in them if they would fit my 2D or 1D mags.

Thanks!

mike
    Yep! Will do...

For sure it will be fine with my 'Stubby' mod. And I'll let you know soon if they can work with a tail cap mod in a 2 cell build in just a couple of days...

My Jetbeam BC-40 arrived last week, so I took it over to Jayrobs, just to do some comparisons. Not that I expected any different, but his light killed the BC-40, completely consuming the hot spot in our "wall tests". Not to mention the added run time that his provides. I like my BC-40 for what it is, but am very glad that I ordered the moded lights (full and stubby) from Jay. I can't wait until they are done and I can get them home to play with .

Popcorn Re: FS: 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 Maglite Mod With Voltage Monitor - Parts, or Complete Ligh

Jayrob,
    I can't send you a PM yet. Could you respond to me with one please? I'm looking for total cost on buying one of the XM-L T6 units and the price for the single D mag mod as well. I could do this myself but have zero time.
    This is excellent modding!
    Thanks,

Sure! Sending PM...

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkss View Post
    My Jetbeam BC-40 arrived last week, so I took it over to Jayrobs, just to do some comparisons. Not that I expected any different, but his light killed the BC-40, completely consuming the hot spot in our "wall tests". Not to mention the added run time that his provides. I like my BC-40 for what it is, but am very glad that I ordered the moded lights (full and stubby) from Jay. I can't wait until they are done and I can get them home to play with .
    Hey let me know how you like it after you use it in the dark!

Party Observations/Comparision/Efficiency of overall light output

I received my 2x32650 XM-L light a few weeks ago. Overall I'm very pleased. In this post I'll briefly discuss overall light output. In a subsequent post, I'll have a more detailed observation/comparison of throw (the throw is very good).

I don't currently have any light measurement equipment, so my observations on overall output are via ceiling bounce and casual observation.

The overall output of the Jayrob XM-L is about the same as my Olight-M31 SST-90 (advertised 800 OTF lumens) and my Malkoff Wildcat 3 x XP-G (advertised 750 OTF lumens). It is noticeably less than my 3x17650 M6 Seraph SST-90 (advertised 1600 lumens, my guess: about 1200 lumens). The Jayrob light is noticably brighter than my Deerelight DBS XM-L (estimating 600 lumens).

Regarding efficiency, the Jayrob uses about 12 watts, the Deerelight 11 watts, the Malkoff 10 watts, the Olight 20 watts and the SST-90 28 watts. The efficiency of the Jayrob XM-L is very good. The Olight and SST-90 have thermal/runtime limitations; not the case with the Jayrob solution.

I also like the side switch 3 level interface. Easy to use and nice spacing between levels (5%, 30%, 100%).

Great work Jayrob

Naughty Throw observations with various reflectors and comparison to other lights

I received my Jayrob 2x32650 XM-L light a few weeks ago and I’m very pleased. In this post, I’ll discuss my observations regarding throw with various reflectors/heads and comparisons to other lights I own. With a FM head, my Jayrob light is my best throwing, non-aspheric LED light.

A - Smaller reflectors – I don’t see any significant difference between the standard reflector, rebel reflector or KD smooth reflector. I have two standard diameter reflectors from FM (bi-focal M*g reflector, Ver2 deep M*g reflector) but have not been able to test then yet because I will have to enlarge the hole. The Ver2 deep reflector is of interest since it’s considerably deeper than the stock or rebel reflectors and the price is fairly low (about $40?).

B - Large reflectors/heads – I have tested both the FM Throwmaster 2.5” head and FM3H-3 3” head. Both of these fit the Jayrob solution if you request a smaller post (12mm vs 14mm). The throw of these two heads are very similar and both have small spot sizes (much smaller than the stock reflectors). The overall spill area of the FM3H is larger (the overall spill of the throwmaster is quite tight). Both beams are quite clean, but the FM 3H does have a ring toward the outer edge of the spill area. The FM3H actually has a reflector diameter of about 2.75” while the throwmaster is about 2.5”. The throwmaster is a bit deeper. The FM3H is considerably heavier and more expensive ($200 vs $140). The FM3H has extensive head sinking but this is unnecessary for the XM-L driven at 3 amps (perhaps in the future will try a SST-90 driven at 9 amps ).

Overall ranking of throw (tree line at about 1000 feet).

(1) DBS Aspheric XR-E R2 1.5 amp. Also tried XP-E, XP-G and XM-L pills but the XR-E definitely had the most throw.

(2) Jayrob XM-L with FM3H head. Quite close to the Aspheric in throw with a considerably larger spot size and a lot more overall light. The FM throwmaster is very similar. Like have a hand held spotlight.

(3) Malkoff 4D XP-G with throwmaster head. Slightly smaller spot size than the Jayrob. But the overall lumens of the Jayrob XM-L wins out – the Jayrob has considerably more throw and considerably more overall light.

(4) Deerelight XR-E R2 1.5 amp DBS smooth reflector. Very similar the Malkoff/throwmaster – probably a bit less throw. Both have very small spot sizes.

(5) Olight M31 SST-50 – Despite having about 800 lumens (about the same as the Jayrob), considerably less throw due to a spot size that is at least twice the diameter. Also the M31 is less efficient (20 vs 12 watts) and has thermal run time limitations. I'm somewhat disappointed with this light - I thought the spot size would be considerably smaller and that the light would have considerably more throw.

(6) Deerelight XM-L DBS smooth reflector – about the same spot size as the Olight but not as bright. Probably due to a smaller reflector and less output (estimated 800 lumens vs about 600 lumens). I do like this light as a compact size thrower - especially when using one 18650 (with Nailbender T5, 4500K, 2.8 amp, XM-L pill). Has a lot of fairly bright spill around the hotspot. Overall spill area is quite tight, similar the the FM throwmaster.

In the future, I would like to purchase a light meter and post some beam shots. Also would like to test the FM bi-focal M*g reflector, Ver2 deep M*g reflectors.

Andy

Some good comparisons thanks for posting!

I like the part where you said this:
    I received my Jayrob 2x32650 XM-L light a few weeks ago and I’m very pleased. In this post, I’ll discuss my observations regarding throw with various reflectors/heads and comparisons to other lights I own. With a FM head, my Jayrob light is my best throwing, non-aspheric LED light.

Quote Originally Posted by swrdply400mrelay View Post
    Jay,

Thanks!

mike
    I got the protected 32650 cells from Novae. They are the same length as the ones I showed. (which I got from e-bay) The Novae ones have a different top button. Just like a normal D battery. But the overall length is the same. 70mm...

So they will need the same tail cap mod that I showed in post 122. (they will barely fit)

Edit: But I now offer the Feilong 6000mAh 32650 cells.

These are the best. And will fit a 2D Mag with no modification needed! Just shorten the tail cap spring a little. (easy)

See some testing and review here:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...28#post3936828
    Last edited by jayrob; 05-28-2012 at 10:26 AM.

just a tid bit of information I ran upon. Seems Novae is under the same company as Tactical HID. (the maker of the Xeno line of lights) sent them an im to see if the Novae products are going to be resupplied or if it is just a remaining stock kind of thing. As most of their lights on the sight are s/O it raised my curiosity to the rest of their products such as the batteries.

Seems I answered my own question, by looking into it more. Seems they are still restocking stuff and the batteries as their one light req's the 32650's, Looks like they have a pretty interesting charging set up for them as well, inquiring on if they will sell it seperately ^_^ unless that's just a holder and it charges in the unit

Update:

"Hey there! I can do another $15 for the set up. Just purchase the batteries first, then e-mail immediately to let me know that you want the set up too and I'll bill you through PayPal for it.

Adrian Vo
    Novae Products"

so if you contact novae, if you don't mind the linear charging method, that's an option for ya. and you can get them with your batteries

Went into work today to pick up my Jayrob's Mag with T5, 3C (5000K) tint - I really like neutral to warm tints - have a few XP-G and SST-50 of the 4500K flavor - so I asked Jayrob if he minded if had a more neutral tint sent to him. I saw that Craig (cpf csshih - illumination supply over on dealers corner) had the XM-L on 14mm board and I ordered one delivered to Jayrob. I've only used it in the office today but first impressions other than a very clean build and I'm glad I got the power meter - the tint looks to be very nice on what I consider the neutral to warm side. Also - since most of my lights are P60 based or smaller - this thing has great throw!

Good to know it got to you...

Hey let me know your impression after you try it out in the dark!

DivineStrike, pretty cool...

Looks like just a battery holder from the pics. I'm guessing that you charge them from the light via a plug or something similar to a Mag Charger.

Hey take a look at my red and green 9 Amp Phlatlight Mag mods:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ht-Maglite-Mod!

I am a newb but I knew these Mag-Lite mods existed, great job jayrob!
    I already disassembled my 2D Mag-Lite and am itching to take out the Dremel and start hacking!! Muhahahahaha

I read through your thread and building my own Super Duper jayrob Mag-Lite seems pretty straight forward. I think the genius of your modification comes from that heat sink and the implementation of the Spectrum Battery Monitor.

First, I have some general newb questions on your Mag-Lite mod that I have not seen answers for.

1. What color is the Cree XM-L T6? Nuetral,Cool, or Warm?
    2. Why do you use Fiber glass opposed to PVC? Any special properties in material such as heat tolerance?
    3. Can I substitute PVC for the Battery Monitor adapter?
    4. Where can I find the fiber optic plug?
    5. Do you sell the parts only?
    6. I will most likely buy your heatsink.

Thanks everyone

Since I am new I cant send PM's but I hope to do within the next day or two.

I'm using bin 1D and also I have 1A. (which I can't see a difference between) I would say Neutral. Perfect for my taste...

I used fiber glass because that is the material I have for the 26650 battery sleeve. The PVC will not fit the 26650. But I have been using PVC now for the Spectrum battery monitor mount. And saving the fiber glass for the sleeves.

You can get 1/8" fiber optic cable. I don't remember where I got it. But I'm sure a Google search will turn up some sources.

Just send me a private message for ordering the heatsink and / or complete build. I also sell a 'drop in module'. (heatsink/emitter/driver wired and tested)

I'm using bin 1D and also I have 1A. (which I can't see a difference between) I would say Neutral. Perfect for my taste...

I used fiber glass because that is the material I have for the 26650 battery sleeve. The PVC will not fit the 26650. But I have been using PVC now for the Spectrum battery monitor mount. And saving the fiber glass for the sleeves.

You can get 1/8" fiber optic cable. I don't remember where I got it. But I'm sure a Google search will turn up some sources.

Just send me a private message for ordering the heatsink and / or complete build. I also sell a 'drop in module'. (heatsink/emitter/driver wired and tested)
    Thanks for the info jayrob I will definitely send you a pm soon.

Which gives better light output? Does the cool white look too blue and not give enough light output? Thanks.

Jayrob,

Is there another way I can contact u? I cant send pm's, thanks.

You can let me know your e-mail...

Or if you would rather not do that, then you can register at laserpointerfourms and PM me over there. (same user name - jayrob)

Pm sent on that other forum

Quote Originally Posted by fishnugget View Post
    Pm sent on that other forum
    Got you covered...

Some 32650's available!:

I have only 8 of these 5500mAh non-protected 32650's available...

These are available to buyers when getting a complete XM-L T6 build.

They are perfect for the Stubby, or the 2 cell build with voltage monitor.

They fit the 2 cell build with the tail cap mod shown in the first post. ($8)

I will sell them for $25 dollars each. First come, first serve...

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast