FourSevens        
Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161720 ... LastLast

Thread: FS: 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 Maglite Mod With Voltage Monitor - Parts, or Complete Light!

Crazy Re: FS: 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 Maglite Mod With Voltage Monitor - Parts, or Complete Ligh

Hi,
    I was just wondering if/how the driver circuit is connected to the heatsink. the website you've linked to suggests the driver should be heatsinked, so i was wondering if it is thermally connected or if it's not needed. does it make contact with thermal grease or something similar on the inside?
    i read through the thread and couldn't see this mentioned anywhere
    sorry if this is a bit of a dumb question,
    George

Default Re: FS: 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 Maglite Mod With Voltage Monitor - Parts, or Complete Ligh

Hi,
    I was just wondering if/how the driver circuit is connected to the heatsink. the website you've linked to suggests the driver should be heatsinked, so i was wondering if it is thermally connected or if it's not needed. does it make contact with thermal grease or something similar on the inside of the sink?
    i read through the thread and couldn't see this mentioned anywhere
    sorry if this is a bit of a dumb question,
    George

Default Re: FS: 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 Maglite Mod With Voltage Monitor - Parts, or Complete Ligh

I have found that with the high efficiency emitter that I am using for this build, heatsinking the driver is not needed. (at least not with a single emitter build)

But I do not see where the link I posted talks about heatsinking the driver??

Anyway, there may be a couple of (negative input) solder points touching the heatsink, but that's all...

Please read through some of the buyer feedback that I have listed here to see that this combination is a great set up!
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post3899217
    Last edited by jayrob; 11-22-2012 at 11:07 AM.

I am sorry, it must have been another driver i saw that was calling for heatsinking, good to know that the circuitry is so efficient it doesnt need help shifting heat though

sorry for the double post too, i was having some trouble with the browser crashing when i was trying to post

Thanks for looking!

Jayrob,

I purchased the XML mod running two 32650 from you and have been very happy with it. I'm using it with FM's throwmaster head/reflector (you created a smaller post for me) and this combination has very good throw (estimating about 90 K lux) and run times. The throw is similar to my Dereelight DBS Aspherical XR-E at 1.4 amps. Only my TK70 can out throw it.

I also have FM's 3" head and reflector - FM3H-3 (lots of cooling fins). This head also fits the mod you sent me. But now I'm considering using that head with even a stronger led (SST-90). Also thinking about picking up FM's Elephant II body - which runs 4 18650's (serial) while using a mag-D switch and tube/tread dimensions. Seems like the 9 amp bulk driver you used in your PT-54 Phatlight Maglite Mod would work nicely in this driver and could handle the voltage of 4 serial 18650s.

Is this a mod that you could create for me? I could supply the reflector/head (the hole would need to be enlarged for the SST-90), batteries, a maglight-D switch and the Elephant II body. I could also purchase the driver directly from Der Wichtel if desired. I have not looked around for a good supplier for SST-90s, but would like a high bin version, though willing to sacrifice some lumens for a slightly warmer color (about 5000K?). Also I noticed that the driver has an option for a variable output potentiometer - this would be desirable if it somehow can be placed in the Elephant II body (I think some other people have placed it slightly in front of the switch). A three way driver like you use with the XML would be more desirable, but I don't think this type of driver is available.

What do you think? We can take this conversation offline via PM if desired.

Thanks,

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by nc_hooper View Post
    Jayrob,

I purchased the XML mod running two 32650 from you and have been very happy with it. I'm using it with FM's throwmaster head/reflector (you created a smaller post for me) and this combination has very good throw (estimating about 90 K lux) and run times. The throw is similar to my Dereelight DBS Aspherical XR-E at 1.4 amps. Only my TK70 can out throw it.

I also have FM's 3" head and reflector - FM3H-3 (lots of cooling fins). This head also fits the mod you sent me. But now I'm considering using that head with even a stronger led (SST-90). Also thinking about picking up FM's Elephant II body - which runs 4 18650's (serial) while using a mag-D switch and tube/tread dimensions. Seems like the 9 amp bulk driver you used in your PT-54 Phatlight Maglite Mod would work nicely in this driver and could handle the voltage of 4 serial 18650s.

Is this a mod that you could create for me? I could supply the reflector/head (the hole would need to be enlarged for the SST-90), batteries, a maglight-D switch and the Elephant II body. I could also purchase the driver directly from Der Wichtel if desired. I have not looked around for a good supplier for SST-90s, but would like a high bin version, though willing to sacrifice some lumens for a slightly warmer color (about 5000K?). Also I noticed that the driver has an option for a variable output potentiometer - this would be desirable if it somehow can be placed in the Elephant II body (I think some other people have placed it slightly in front of the switch). A three way driver like you use with the XML would be more desirable, but I don't think this type of driver is available.

What do you think? We can take this conversation offline via PM if desired.

Thanks,

Andy
    Sounds like quite a build your after there! I didn't go for a SST-90 build because of the extra heat and lower run time I would get with a 2 cell build. Which is the size I was going for.

I did spy some emitters here though: (warm and cool)
    http://www.mouser.com/_/?Keyword=SSt-90&FS=True

With my 9 Amp PT-54 builds, the 9 Amp buck driver is very efficient, but it really eats up the battery supply. I ended up switching out the protected 32650's in those builds for some non-protected 32650's. Because the current demand would somehow cause the protection circuit on the batteries to lessen the output. (the problem went away with the non-protected cells)

Not worried about over discharge, because the driver needs a minimum of 6 volts supply.

I'll PM you my email...

Thanks jayrob

I would like to get some information on complete lights from you, if possible. I realize this is late, but I just got a xmas request for a large maglite and would love to be able to fulfill it if possible. Please pm me or email me at howard holton at gmail dot com. I registered here because I saw your post and I can provide both heatware and itrader feedback from another forum.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhh View Post
    I would like to get some information on complete lights from you, if possible. I realize this is late, but I just got a xmas request for a large maglite and would love to be able to fulfill it if possible. Please pm me or email me at howard holton at gmail dot com. I registered here because I saw your post and I can provide both heatware and itrader feedback from another forum.
    Got you covered!

Can't send PM for some reason, but I'll try your email...

I am wondering if you could machine a heatsink and driver set up to drop into a 2 C-Cell Maglite (and what would be the price if you could). I have been looking into some battery options to try and power it. Only thing is I will lose the long run time but I am fine with the trade off. Also, the latest Maglite D-Cell's use the Cree XP-E LED's and I have a feeling the reflector has been updated to utilize these new LED's. Would you suggest the 12mm LED like the Rebel reflector or would it need another size. I don't know if I can receive or reply to your PM's as I am new to this forum still. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by SimulatedZero View Post
    I am wondering if you could machine a heatsink and driver set up to drop into a 2 C-Cell Maglite (and what would be the price if you could). I have been looking into some battery options to try and power it. Only thing is I will lose the long run time but I am fine with the trade off. Also, the latest Maglite D-Cell's use the Cree XP-E LED's and I have a feeling the reflector has been updated to utilize these new LED's. Would you suggest the 12mm LED like the Rebel reflector or would it need another size. I don't know if I can receive or reply to your PM's as I am new to this forum still. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
    Yes the LED Maglites have the Rebel reflector and need a 12mm sized emitter. I normally just size the emitter after it is thermal glued to the 12mm post when I build one like that...

No problem with a C Mag with fitting 25500's (DX) with a tail cap mod, but I don't like the switch in a C Mag. (for a driver with modes) Because it will cause the driver to switch modes when you don't want it to switch. (sometimes)

Jay, THANK YOU for my awesome build! It is so solid.. i was concerned about the shape of the beam, knowing how ugly the stock beam is with the stock bulb/reflector. But With the XML in there is actually works! I can focus the rebel reflector right down to a nice tight spot or widen it up a bit for a broader beam, without getting all those hideous & strange swirlies the stock incan/reflector generate when you try to widen the beam! And thansk again for going out of your way to get just the CCT I was hoping for even though you didn't have it on hand. Top notch service bro... If anybody is looking for a practical, yet powerful Maglite monster, this is it! I'm running mine off 3 NiMH D cells, and it outthrows my TK35! Cheers.

I don't like the switch in a C Mag. (for a driver with modes) Because it will cause the driver to switch modes when you don't want it to switch.

Hi, jayrob can a C mag be made with single mode (high) ?
    I recall you mentioned 25500, my old 2xC I run one 26650 will the new C mags fit a 26650 ?
    Anyway if so I would be into a C mag build

Not sure whether the new C Mags will fit 26mm batteries without being bored a little. But either way, it can work even if it needs to be bored out a little...

About a single mode driver. If using a single battery as you mentioned, then yes, there is a single mode AMC 7135 driver for a single Li-Ion supply.

If you know of a 3 Amp / single mode driver that can take 2 X Li-Ion's, let me know and I'll test it out...

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisdm View Post
    Jay, THANK YOU for my awesome build! It is so solid.. i was concerned about the shape of the beam, knowing how ugly the stock beam is with the stock bulb/reflector. But With the XML in there is actually works! I can focus the rebel reflector right down to a nice tight spot or widen it up a bit for a broader beam, without getting all those hideous & strange swirlies the stock incan/reflector generate when you try to widen the beam! And thansk again for going out of your way to get just the CCT I was hoping for even though you didn't have it on hand. Top notch service bro... If anybody is looking for a practical, yet powerful Maglite monster, this is it! I'm running mine off 3 NiMH D cells, and it outthrows my TK35! Cheers.
    Love to hear it!

For others to know, if your looking for a 3 mode driver in the 3 X NiMH configuration (or the 'Stubby' build), I have both 3 mode, as well as 5 mode drivers for that supply voltage...

Thanks for posting back!

Hi Jayrob,

Great thread. I actually have a 4 D cell Maglite, with a Terralux led drop in (advertised as 140 lumens), and I am using 4 Tenergy 10000 mah D cells in it. I'm looking for something with brighter output than the Terralux drop in, and your mods seem like just the ticket. Reading through the thread, it seems that I have a few possible options: (i) buy a new Maglite from you (probably would go with a two cell version and use it with two Li ion batteries); (ii) send my 4 cell maglite to you so you can cut it down to a 3 cell length and use your 3 nimh config with 3 of my Tenergy batteries; or (iii) buy a one or two D cell extender for my Maglite and use e.g. your 5 Nimh configuration or a 6 nimh config. If you don't mind, I want to be sure I understand the performance tradeoffs betwen the foregoing three options.

Comparing the two Li ion cell config vs. the 5 Nimh cell config, if my understanding is correct, I will get longer run time on the 5 nimh config (obviously at the cost of having a significantly larger host package). I don't think I mind the larger host package. Are there other down sides to the 5 nimh configuration relative to your 2 li ion config? E.g. does the 7.4 volt li ion config give brighter output than the 6 volt nimh config? Also, assuming li ion batteries with 5000 mah as compared to my 10000 mah tenergy batteries, given the lower voltage of the nimh config (6 volts vs 7.4 volts), do I really get twice the run time? I.e. I don't understand the batteries or the drivers well enough (e.g. battery voltage drop relative to battery charge level and relative to the minimum voltage required by the drivers) to know whether or not the higher voltage of the Li ion config might actually extend the run time a bit because the voltage has further to fall before the voltage falls below the minimum needed by the driver. In other words, does the higher voltage li ion battery config somehow mean that I won't actually get double the run time from the lower voltage, albeit double mah, Nimh config?

As between a 5 and 6 nimh D cell configuration, would there be any advantage for me to get a two D cell extender for my 4 cell Maglite so that I can use 6 Nimh D cells instead of 5 D cells? Mah's obviously don't increase. That will still be 10000, whether I have 5 or 6 D cells. I'll have 7.2 volts instead of 6 volts. Does that give brighter output? Possibly give longer run time even though mah is the same because, again, voltage has further to fall before it falls below the minimum required by the driver? Seems like there must be some advantage to 6 vs 5 nimh d cells.

I'm actually thinking I'd like to go with a voltage monitor, and it appears that the monitor you flagged for the nimh batteries only works with up to 5 cells. Is that correct? If so, then perhaps a 6 D cell maglite couldn't use a voltage monitor?

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of the 3 nimh config relative to the 2 li ion and the 5 nimh configs?

By the way, is the thermal "adhesive" that you use basically the same thing as is used to attach a CPU to its heat sink? I do think I have some artic silver sitting around somewhere.

Hope my questions are clear. If not, happy to try to explain more clearly. Thanks in advance for the help!

Regards,
    Mike

Flashaholic

Hey. Just happened to be reading this, and thought I 'd give you another option if you want to keep your 4D. 5C cells will fit perfectly inside the 4D tube if you make a sleeve out of 1 1/2 PVC. You don't have to modify the spring or anything. Just insert spacer, drop batteries in and screw the tailcap back on. Hope this helps!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mike0999 View Post
    Hi Jayrob,

Great thread. I actually have a 4 D cell Maglite, with a Terralux led drop in (advertised as 140 lumens), and I am using 4 Tenergy 10000 mah D cells in it. I'm looking for something with brighter output than the Terralux drop in, and your mods seem like just the ticket. Reading through the thread, it seems that I have a few possible options: (i) buy a new Maglite from you (probably would go with a two cell version and use it with two Li ion batteries); (ii) send my 4 cell maglite to you so you can cut it down to a 3 cell length and use your 3 nimh config with 3 of my Tenergy batteries; or (iii) buy a one or two D cell extender for my Maglite and use e.g. your 5 Nimh configuration or a 6 nimh config. If you don't mind, I want to be sure I understand the performance tradeoffs betwen the foregoing three options.

Comparing the two Li ion cell config vs. the 5 Nimh cell config, if my understanding is correct, I will get longer run time on the 5 nimh config (obviously at the cost of having a significantly larger host package). I don't think I mind the larger host package. Are there other down sides to the 5 nimh configuration relative to your 2 li ion config? E.g. does the 7.4 volt li ion config give brighter output than the 6 volt nimh config? Also, assuming li ion batteries with 5000 mah as compared to my 10000 mah tenergy batteries, given the lower voltage of the nimh config (6 volts vs 7.4 volts), do I really get twice the run time? I.e. I don't understand the batteries or the drivers well enough (e.g. battery voltage drop relative to battery charge level and relative to the minimum voltage required by the drivers) to know whether or not the higher voltage of the Li ion config might actually extend the run time a bit because the voltage has further to fall before the voltage falls below the minimum needed by the driver. In other words, does the higher voltage li ion battery config somehow mean that I won't actually get double the run time from the lower voltage, albeit double mah, Nimh config?

As between a 5 and 6 nimh D cell configuration, would there be any advantage for me to get a two D cell extender for my 4 cell Maglite so that I can use 6 Nimh D cells instead of 5 D cells? Mah's obviously don't increase. That will still be 10000, whether I have 5 or 6 D cells. I'll have 7.2 volts instead of 6 volts. Does that give brighter output? Possibly give longer run time even though mah is the same because, again, voltage has further to fall before it falls below the minimum required by the driver? Seems like there must be some advantage to 6 vs 5 nimh d cells.

I'm actually thinking I'd like to go with a voltage monitor, and it appears that the monitor you flagged for the nimh batteries only works with up to 5 cells. Is that correct? If so, then perhaps a 6 D cell maglite couldn't use a voltage monitor?

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of the 3 nimh config relative to the 2 li ion and the 5 nimh configs?

By the way, is the thermal "adhesive" that you use basically the same thing as is used to attach a CPU to its heat sink? I do think I have some artic silver sitting around somewhere.

Hope my questions are clear. If not, happy to try to explain more clearly. Thanks in advance for the help!

Regards,
    Mike
    Good option for using the C cells as tjhabak pointed out, but if your going for run time, then you will want the larger cells...

About run time vs the 2 X Li-Ion set up. I have only estimated the run time with the various configurations. Because yes, current draw from the batteries does change as batteries drain and voltage drops. I would say that 6 X NiMH's is basically the same voltage as 2 X Li-Ion's, and you could compare the battery capacity of 10,000mAh's vs 5500mAh's. (protected 32650's)

But yes you are correct, for using the NiMH voltage monitor, you need 5 cells, not 6.

The most popular (and best IMO) configuration, is the 2 cell Li-Ion build with voltage monitor. Your still getting over 3 hours run time on high, and over 9 hours run time on medium. (medium is about 350 lumens) It's a really nice size for that much output vs run time.

3 NiMH's is also very nice. It's a different driver though. Also, I have two different driver choices for that voltage now. A 5 mode driver, or a 3 mode driver for the 'Stubby' or 3 X NiMH build... (see the links and details near the bottom of the first post in the 'Stubby' section)

About the thermal adhesive, yes I use Arctic Silver. The 2 part adhesive. Not the compound. I believe often with CPU's, it may be only the compound.

Just hit me with a PM, and let me know what you decide...

Hi Guys,

Thank you both for the very prompt replies, especially over the holidays! 5 c cells - interesting option. Similar to 5 D cell, except keep same size light in exchange for not getting the longer run time. I do have a couple 5000 or 6000 mah c cells already. So, could still get decent performance. Wow, lot of options to choose from.

Jayrob, is there a way to get a hold of you other than PM? I don't have PM privileges yet on this site. By the way, you aren't by any chance located in Santa Clara county area of Northern CA are you? I am also in Northern CA.

A couple other factors that I suppose could sway people in their decision about which "config" to use, although I am probably over analyzing and perhaps the differences aren't material here.

Standard Nimh batteries have a significantly higher self discharge rate than li ion batteries. So, if you are looking to keep charged batteries on the shelf in the flashlight, and you are not using Eneloop type nimh's, li ion may have that advantage (at least during the li ion battery's useful life).

On the other hand, I have read that li ion batteries can have a shorter total useful life than nimh batteries and/or that the charge holding capacity of li ion's might degrade more quickly. So, perhaps Nimh has a total life advantage if you are more likely to keep the batteries in a charger that is designed to maintain and not overcharge the nimh's. E.g. you will put the nimh batteries in a flashlight from the charger only if the power goes out.

Lastly, from what I have read, the voltage on Li ion batteries decreases pretty linearly with charge. I've read that nimh batteries, on the other hand, maintain a relatively constant voltage while they have a useful charge, but that the voltage can fall off a cliff when the charge gets low. So, with regard to my earlier question about whether or not there was a run time advantage to 5 vs 6 cell nimh because of the higher voltage, it may be that there actually isn't a significant advantage. Also, it may be that the battery monitor is less useful on nimh's because of this "fall of the cliff" discharge characteristic. I.e. it won't provide a linear measure of charge usage. Don't know if anyone who has used the battery monitor with nimh's has thoughts or observations in this regard?

Quite honestly, I really don't know all the minute differences than may be found in comparing the different battery options, but I'm sure that battery quality will be the biggest factor.

My personal NiMH build, is a 3 cell build with the 5 mode 'Stubby' driver, but I have built a few with the 5 cell/NiMH/3 mode/voltage monitor ones, and have had good feedback on them.

I think you will be happy with either set up, and it's just a matter of your battery preference.

I'm in Oakley. About 1 1/2 hours north of you. If you want to let me know your e-mail, I'll message you there...

Jay,
    These lights are awesome. I am still trying to figure this forum out. I have not been able to PM you to purchase several of your lights. Once I reach my two post minimum, I will try and buy a light from you.

Thanks.

Congratulations, JayRob - it sounds like you have cultivated a nice flock of happy customers! Hopefully, I'll join them shortly..

Fyi, I've got both 3D (serial starts with D) and a 6D (serial without D-prefix) Mag-Lites and carry them on the floor of my cars, nested between the drivers' seat and the transmission tunnel - and, they can go un-touched for several months..

Subsequently, I've always thought that I need to use primaries. Right now, I'm using alkalines and I haven't read a single post in this thread (so far) where anybody else is still using vintage D-cell primaries ==> Do you think my mod'ed 3D or 6D could work okay with vintage D-cell primaries?

Btw, will the XM-L (C2) be an option anytime soon?

Looking forward to your reply(s), William

Quote Originally Posted by WmArnold1 View Post
    Congratulations, JayRob - it sounds like you have cultivated a nice flock of happy customers! Hopefully, I'll join them shortly..

Fyi, I've got both 3D (serial starts with D) and a 6D (serial without D-prefix) Mag-Lites and carry them on the floor of my cars, nested between the drivers' seat and the transmission tunnel - and, they can go un-touched for several months..

Subsequently, I've always thought that I need to use primaries. Right now, I'm using alkalines and I haven't read a single post in this thread (so far) where anybody else is still using vintage D-cell primaries ==> Do you think my mod'ed 3D or 6D could work okay with vintage D-cell primaries?

Btw, will the XM-L (C2) be an option anytime soon?

Looking forward to your reply(s), William
    The problem with Alkaline batteries (besides the potential leakage), is that they do not have the ability to put out high current demand. At least not when I have tested. If my memory serves, I only got a little over an Amp current out of them...

But your 3D and 6D Mags will work very well for this mod with NiMH's. Or, we could use a 1 Amp driver and you would have over 350 lumens using Alkaline batteries.

About the emitter you are asking about. I have not tried it yet, but would be more than happy to build you a light using it. Do you have a source for the emitter you want, mounted on a 14mm round board?

I have some XM-L U2 emitters that I am trying, and they are basically the same as the T6. (IMO)

Just send me a PM when your ready!

Jayrob throw me an email at speedingmusic at hotmail dot com

most buggy forum ever...

Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Jayrob throw me an email at speedingmusic at hotmail dot com
    Email sent...

Flashaholic

Hey Jay,

Just received a 2 x 32650 build this afternoon and I have to say that the workmanship and quality are truly exceptional. The output and beam pattern are awe inspiring to say the least. I'm not going to say what a difference it makes from the stock maglite because it's an absurd comparison.

I am very happy and this will be a vehicle EDC type light. I have a roll bar holder for it on my jeep. Only thing I need to find now are replacement primaries that would be suitable should the Li ions die on me.

I've got some double C lithium primaries in my GHB for my Lumapower Mentor light but some D sized primaries would be great, even if they could only provide 1 amp of continuous current. Anyways, I digress. This is going to be one of my favorite lights, especially during camping season!

Thanks again and I think there will be more builds of this type with a little variation on battery configuration.

Cheers,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by H-nu View Post
    Hey Jay,

Just received a 2 x 32650 build this afternoon and I have to say that the workmanship and quality are truly exceptional. The output and beam pattern are awe inspiring to say the least. I'm not going to say what a difference it makes from the stock maglite because it's an absurd comparison.

I am very happy and this will be a vehicle EDC type light. I have a roll bar holder for it on my jeep. Only thing I need to find now are replacement primaries that would be suitable should the Li ions die on me.

I've got some double C lithium primaries in my GHB for my Lumapower Mentor light but some D sized primaries would be great, even if they could only provide 1 amp of continuous current. Anyways, I digress. This is going to be one of my favorite lights, especially during camping season!

Thanks again and I think there will be more builds of this type with a little variation on battery configuration.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Glad you like it!

That driver requires a minimum of 5.5 volts input, so you won't be able to use primaries with that 2 cell build. It's just for the Li-Ion's.

If you want to use primaries, I can set you up with a 2D size build, using a 1 Amp driver. Alkalines are probably only good for about an Amp if I recall.

Or if you want to use NiMH's, we can go with a 3D build at full power. I have 2 choices for drivers in that configuration. (5 mode or 3 mode - see near bottom of first post)

Thanks for posting back!

Flashaholic

I have some C size 3.6V lithium primaries kicking around but I need to find the specs on current. They were made by Xeno, not sure if they can handle 2 or 3 amps but I'm hoping they can handle 1 amp for emergency situations.

Thanks again bud!

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161720 ... LastLast