Wuben        
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171821 ... LastLast

Thread: FS: 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 Maglite Mod With Voltage Monitor - Parts, or Complete Light!

Default Re: FS: 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 Maglite Mod With Voltage Monitor - Parts, or Complete Ligh

Hiya,
    Doesn't look like I have pm permission yet (first post) so I guess we can communicate here.

I'm interested in a complete build, but looking for 3d or ideally larger to fit in my car beside the driver seat. Longer life is important because I use my current 3-d maglite (with an ancient nite eyez or something led) for working on the car hours at a time, and like that I only have to change the batteries once a year.

I am willing to sacrifice run time since I can just charge the batteries (I'll need batteries + charger too). I'll take pretty much what ever you recommend, 3d to 5d size.

Any chance you're in sacramento or the bay area? I'm going to the San Jose auto show today if you're free and in San Jose. I'll subscribe to this thread so I get notice of your reply.

Thanks
    -Rusty

Default Re: FS: 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 Maglite Mod With Voltage Monitor - Parts, or Complete Ligh

Quote Originally Posted by GuySmily View Post
    Hiya,
    Doesn't look like I have pm permission yet (first post) so I guess we can communicate here.

I'm interested in a complete build, but looking for 3d or ideally larger to fit in my car beside the driver seat. Longer life is important because I use my current 3-d maglite (with an ancient nite eyez or something led) for working on the car hours at a time, and like that I only have to change the batteries once a year.

I am willing to sacrifice run time since I can just charge the batteries (I'll need batteries + charger too). I'll take pretty much what ever you recommend, 3d to 5d size.

Any chance you're in sacramento or the bay area? I'm going to the San Jose auto show today if you're free and in San Jose. I'll subscribe to this thread so I get notice of your reply.

Thanks
    -Rusty
    I'm in Oakley, which is between Sac and SJ, but the only way you can get one today, is to get one of my personal builds. Because I have about a 10 day back log of orders...

3D is great for NiMH's, but not Li-Ion's. With a 3D NiMH build, I have two choices for drivers as shown near the bottom of the first post. It's the same driver choice I have for the single Li-Ion 'Stubby' build. A 5 mode driver, or a 3 mode driver.

NiMH's are a larger capacity. About 10,000mAh's. Based on current draw for that setup, your estimated run times will be like so:

High - 3.8 hours
    Medium - 7.5 hours
    Low - 42 hours

If you want to let me know your e-mail, I'll message you there...

I enjoy hearing great feedback about how this light impressed others when used and so forth...

Just wanted to post the latest feedback from a buyer over at LPF:

Quote Originally Posted by tee View Post
    Just received my light yesterday and was chomping at the bit for it to get dark so I could go and check it out. Got a call just before supper to go and load a water truck that was freezing in muskeg roads when the transmission went out. Grabbed the light and packed a lunch, and headed off to work for an all-nighter. I'm not sure if anyone that has purchased one of these rigs has used it in an all white snow covered environment, but I'm here to tell you it is incredible! It lights up everything with the reflection on the snow, the driver of the water truck was amazed how bright it was (as was I). It was -24c last night and it laid in the snow on my lowbed to light up the underside of the disabled water truck so I could secure it to the deck once loaded and never missed a beat. The durability test will be to see how long it survives in my work environment of -40 temperatures and being exposed to road salt and snow until our winter season is over.

Thanks Jayrob, amazing cratsmanship in a totally functional light that has so far exceeded my expectations.

Troy.

jayrob, your pm's are full, so I posted here. Money sent through credit card. PM me a confirmation you got my light and/or the money and possible ETA, given I have changed the build so I understand it wont be as soon as before. Also I have included a different mailing address. I prefer this address to keep me out of the dog house at home. My parents won't rat me out to my wife for buying a light.
    Thanks again,
    Bobby

Unenlightened

Your PM box is full... Trying to get on that build list.

Quote Originally Posted by jayrob View Post

I enjoy hearing great feedback about how this light impressed others when used and so forth...

Just wanted to post the latest feedback from a buyer over at LPF:
    hey! that's me...

Satisfied customer.

Ah good deal!

Thanks for posting, and really glad you like the Mag mod...

Quote Originally Posted by onvol View Post
    jayrob, your pm's are full, so I posted here. Money sent through credit card. PM me a confirmation you got my light and/or the money and possible ETA, given I have changed the build so I understand it wont be as soon as before. Also I have included a different mailing address. I prefer this address to keep me out of the dog house at home. My parents won't rat me out to my wife for buying a light.
    Thanks again,
    Bobby
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtolly View Post
    Your PM box is full... Trying to get on that build list.
    Sorry about that...

I have cleared some room in my Inbox, and will also send you guys PM's.

awesome....is this mod available in any other form factors such as the 6D mag?

Quote Originally Posted by MoFoQ View Post
    awesome....is this mod available in any other form factors such as the 6D mag?
    Absolutely! In a 6D build, you will use D sized NiMH's, and have probably about 5 or 6 hours run time on high!

There is the same voltage monitor specifically for NiMH's, but is only for a 5 cell set up. So we would use a 5D Mag build if you wanted the voltage monitor with it. (for NiMH's)

Just let me know when your ready!

.. There is the same voltage monitor specifically for NiMH's, but is only for a 5 cell set up. So we would use a 5D Mag build if you wanted the voltage monitor with it. (for NiMH's)
    Correct me if I'm wrong Jay, but isn't the Spectrum NiMh Voltage-Monitor switch-selectable for either 4 or 5 cells?

Personally, I'm thinking about a four NiMh cell build so I don't have to buy a super-size charger.

Five hours of max-lumen runtime is awesome!

I'm in Oakley, which is between Sac and SJ, but the only way you can get one today, is to get one of my personal builds. Because I have about a 10 day back log of orders...

3D is great for NiMH's, but not Li-Ion's. With a 3D NiMH build, I have two choices for drivers as shown near the bottom of the first post. It's the same driver choice I have for the single Li-Ion 'Stubby' build. A 5 mode driver, or a 3 mode driver.

NiMH's are a larger capacity. About 10,000mAh's. Based on current draw for that setup, your estimated run times will be like so:

High - 3.8 hours
    Medium - 7.5 hours
    Low - 42 hours

If you want to let me know your e-mail, I'll message you there...
    That sounds great, since battery life is a key thing for me. If you email me at (rusty at guysmily.com) we can work out the details.

Email sent!

Quote Originally Posted by WmArnold1 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong Jay, but isn't the Spectrum NiMh Voltage-Monitor switch-selectable for either 4 or 5 cells?

Personally, I'm thinking about a four NiMh cell build so I don't have to buy a super-size charger.

Five hours of max-lumen runtime is awesome!
    Yes the NiMH voltage monitor can be configured to work with either 4, or 5 cells...

However, the driver that I am using for the build, needs a minimum of 5.5 volts. So a 4 cell configuration will not be satisfactory. Because the voltage will get below 5 volts before you need to charge the cells.

So that is why, if you want a voltage monitor in a NiMH build, I recommend a 5D build. Or also you can use a 3D Mag with a Streamlight NiMH pack, but the capacity will be about 1/3 of your 5D NiMH build... (still about 2 hours on high with the Streamlight NiMH pack though)

Yes the NiMH voltage monitor can be configured to work with either 4, or 5 cells...

However, the driver that I am using for the build, needs a minimum of 5.5 volts. So a 4 cell configuration will not be satisfactory. Because the voltage will get below 5 volts before you need to charge the cells.

So that is why, if you want a voltage monitor in a NiMH build, I recommend a 5D build. Or also you can use a 3D Mag with a Streamlight NiMH pack, but the capacity will be about 1/3 of your 5D NiMH build... (still about 2 hours on high with the Streamlight NiMH pack though)
    That makes perfect sense Jay, for your 5-mode driver and the first 3-mode driver you referenced in the article; but I personally liked this 3-mode driver that you referenced for the 'Stubby' mod. It operates between 2.8 and 6.0 volts and pumps a conservative 2.8 Amps thru the XM-L emitter.

Imho, lots of flashlights can burst 750 or more lumens for a few brief minutes. But your builds stand out by sustaining 750+ guilt-free lumens for two solid hours (2D Maglite w/Li-ion) and up to six solid hours. (5D Maglite w/NiMh)

But the thing I like most of all is your Voltage monitor because, without that; it's like driving my car around without a working gas gauge; always wondering..

Someday; I'll pony-up for my personal compromise; a 3-mode 4D Maglite w/NiMh & Voltage monitor..

Respectfully Yours, William

Quote Originally Posted by WmArnold1 View Post
    That makes perfect sense Jay, for your 5-mode driver and the first 3-mode driver you referenced in the article; but I personally liked this 3-mode driver that you referenced for the 'Stubby' mod. It operates between 2.8 and 6.0 volts and pumps a conservative 2.8 Amps thru the XM-L emitter.

Imho, lots of flashlights can burst 750 or more lumens for a few brief minutes. But your builds stand out by sustaining 750+ guilt-free lumens for two solid hours (2D Maglite w/Li-ion) and up to six solid hours. (5D Maglite w/NiMh)

But the thing I like most of all is your Voltage monitor because, without that; it's like driving my car around without a working gas gauge; always wondering..

Someday; I'll pony-up for my personal compromise; a 3-mode 4D Maglite w/NiMh & Voltage monitor..

Respectfully Yours, William

Hmmm... I do believe you are correct.

I recently just added that driver option for the Stubby, and did not notice that it can take 6 volts input. Nice!

I have not built a 4 cell NiMH configuration with that driver yet, but I do believe it will be just fine.

Let me know when your ready!

Based on these last few posts, I'm questioning what size maglite to go with. I have a 3D right now, and the cheapy LED broke, which is why I'm wanting to upgrade.

Capacity is a big deal for me, but I do worry about 5D being a bit unwieldy. I guess, as long as it'll fit, I'll probably do 5D for the increased runtime. Do you think 5D would fit in here?

Another question - I often find myself completely pulling off the reflector when I want a 180-degree flood (like when working under the hood). How does the XM-L look without any reflector?

Quote Originally Posted by GuySmily View Post
    Based on these last few posts, I'm questioning what size maglite to go with. I have a 3D right now, and the cheapy LED broke, which is why I'm wanting to upgrade.

Capacity is a big deal for me, but I do worry about 5D being a bit unwieldy. I guess, as long as it'll fit, I'll probably do 5D for the increased runtime. Do you think 5D would fit in here?

Another question - I often find myself completely pulling off the reflector when I want a 180-degree flood (like when working under the hood). How does the XM-L look without any reflector?

You can just measure the length of two D cells, and that will pretty much be the difference in length of a 5D vs your 3D...

But a 3D with NiMH's will have plenty of capacity!

Approximately 3 1/2 hours on high, 8 hrous on medium, and like 40 hours on low...

About taking off the reflector. It will be just a wide flood of light. But you will find that with this build, even at best spot focus, it will have a good amount of light in the wide 'spill' area. And it is so bright, that you will just leave it focused to 'best spot', and I'm sure you will not be needing to remove the reflector anymore...

Absolutely! In a 6D build, you will use D sized NiMH's, and have probably about 5 or 6 hours run time on high!

There is the same voltage monitor specifically for NiMH's, but is only for a 5 cell set up. So we would use a 5D Mag build if you wanted the voltage monitor with it. (for NiMH's)

Just let me know when your ready!
    What if a dummy cell was used in a 6D?

Quote Originally Posted by MoFoQ View Post
    What if a dummy cell was used in a 6D?
    Sure that's easy...

You would only need to do this if you want the NiMH voltage monitor. (for a 5D NiMH configuration) If you don't need the voltage monitor, then you can just use 6 X D sized NiMH's.

JayRob Rocks!! I just got my "Stubby" today, modified 2D MagLite cut down to a single cell for a 32650 Li-ion and his own heatsink with Cree XM-L T6 emitter. This little bad boy is amazing!! Excellent work on the cutting down, the light has 3 modes...low that is like a "regular" light...med that reminds me very much of a Malkoff P60...high that blows away my trucks high beams and the P7 mod that I did myself to another MagLite. Great work Jay, thank you very much! Folks, this guy is not only an excellent machinist, he put up with me!! And was courteous and quick to answer my endless questions.

Comparison pics to follow, with a stock MagLite LED using their new Cree emitter, my own mod with the P7 and Jay's recommended voltage monitor, and the new Stubby. Remember when looking at these that although the Stubby is quite a bit more powerful than the P7 mod, it's running on only 1 32650 instead of the 2 the P7 has!! Excellent efficiency! The driver works equally well and is very easy to switch between the modes. I now have the Perfect flashlight!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The tree that's lit up is 194 yards away, don't know if you'll notice, but the trees in the background are illumated with SPILL at 536 yards from the light!! Fantastic job Jay, Thank You!

By the way, the pictures were taken with a 5DMkII, in RAW manual mode, same settings. The lights were in a cradle on a tripod, each placed exactly the same as the other shining in the same direction. I tried to keep everything a constant for the comparison. No white balance adjustments, simply a straight RAW to JPEG conversion with minimal sharpening to account for the anti-aliasing filter in the camera.
    Dale

Quote Originally Posted by DBCstm View Post
    JayRob Rocks!! I just got my "Stubby" today, modified 2D MagLite cut down to a single cell for a 32650 Li-ion and his own heatsink with Cree XM-L T6 emitter. This little bad boy is amazing!! Excellent work on the cutting down, the light has 3 modes...low that is like a "regular" light...med that reminds me very much of a Malkoff P60...high that blows away my trucks high beams and the P7 mod that I did myself to another MagLite. Great work Jay, thank you very much! Folks, this guy is not only an excellent machinist, he put up with me!! And was courteous and quick to answer my endless questions.

Comparison pics to follow, with a stock MagLite LED using their new Cree emitter, my own mod with the P7 and Jay's recommended voltage monitor, and the new Stubby. Remember when looking at these that although the Stubby is quite a bit more powerful than the P7 mod, it's running on only 1 32650 instead of the 2 the P7 has!! Excellent efficiency! The driver works equally well and is very easy to switch between the modes. I now have the Perfect flashlight!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The tree that's lit up is 194 yards away, don't know if you'll notice, but the trees in the background are illumated with SPILL at 536 yards from the light!! Fantastic job Jay, Thank You!

Really glad you like the build!

That's some really nice work with the beam and distance comparison pictures!

Thanks for the good words, and for posting back!

Here's a couple more beam comparisons, with yardage indications for a better idea of how JayRob's Stubby Mag Conversion throws using a LED style reflector. Also shows mode output differences. All pictures were using a cradle mounted to a tripod so where 3 different lights were used they were all in the same position. Where the modes were shown the light stayed in the same position as well. Enjoying this incredible light, it even outshines the high beams on a 2003 Cadillac Seville!!

The shots with the Police Car I had to step ISO down to 100 at f/5.6 and 1.6 second exposure as the high on the Stubby was way bright reflected off the Car's graphics!

This time the images at ImageShack are about 8MP, much larger to show a better detail comparison.

Thanks again Jay, Really Good Work!

And I've been remiss in showing the light itself, sorry! For the record, JayRob's mod "Stubby" is the red one. A single cell Li-ion 32650 that kicks serious butt!

So many pictures.. I can't wait to pick mine up!

Hi! Thanks for great instructions! I bought this driver, like in first post. They writes "Gives 90%~95% efficient output" on the site. So I measured it:
    2 x 18650(freshly charged - 8,28V) + this driver + SSC-P7 (XM-L T6 still not arrived) and i got this table:

BATTERY BATTERY BATTERY EMITTER EMITTER EMITTER Efficiency
    Volt Ampere Watt Volt Ampere Watt %
    Low 8,22 0,065 0,53 2,15 0,05 0,11 20,7
    Medium 8,8 0,53 4,28 2,55 0,80 2,04 47,7
    High 7,68 1,70 13,0 3,57 2,80 10,0 76,9

Is this low efficiency normal or I got faulty item?
    Would not be better if I will use 2x18650 in prallel with 8x7135 driver?
    Thanks for ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by Naj View Post
    ...Is this low efficiency normal or I got faulty item?
    Nice table, @Naj! I hope you're using a true-RMS meter..

Personally; I trust your emitter readings the most, because that end-load is nearly resistive with minimal capacitance/inductance.

Imho tho, your battery/driver readings are highly suspect due to the PWM crest-factor and inductance power-factor. And, I'm curious why the driver picture appears to have an inductor soldered on it anyway..

Can you bring an oscilloscope to the table and measure voltage & current from the battery at the same time?

Hopefully Yours, William

Quote Originally Posted by Naj View Post
    Hi! Thanks for great instructions! I bought this driver, like in first post. They writes "Gives 90%~95% efficient output" on the site. So I measured it:
    2 x 18650(freshly charged - 8,28V) + this driver + SSC-P7 (XM-L T6 still not arrived) and i got this table:

BATTERY BATTERY BATTERY EMITTER EMITTER EMITTER Efficiency
    Volt Ampere Watt Volt Ampere Watt %
    Low 8,22 0,065 0,53 2,15 0,05 0,11 20,7
    Medium 8,8 0,53 4,28 2,55 0,80 2,04 47,7
    High 7,68 1,70 13,0 3,57 2,80 10,0 76,9

Is this low efficiency normal or I got faulty item?
    Would not be better if I will use 2x18650 in prallel with 8x7135 driver?
    Thanks for ideas!
    Hi,

I have an 8 X 7135 driver available for use with a single Li-Ion 'stubby' build. Or if you want a 3D or 4D NiMH build. The recent pictures shown by DBCstm, is a 'Stubby' build using an 8 X 7135 driver...

About your testing, please post back with results from the XM-L emitter. Because I am not using a P7 emitter for this build. So your results are not really relevant. The XM-L emitter is much more efficient vs a P7. I have a lot of buyer feedback linked at the bottom of this post. (collected in the second post of this thread) Please take a minute to read some!

And I've been remiss in showing the light itself, sorry! For the record, JayRob's mod "Stubby" is the red one. A single cell Li-ion 32650 that kicks serious butt!

Thanks again for the great photo comparisons...

Another happy customer! Love to hear it!

I added your feedback to my list of buyer feedback here:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post3899217

Naj, please take a few minutes to read some of the buyer feedback listed in the post linked above...

I believe that you will see there is much 'user evidence' that this combination of driver/XM-L emitter is a great set up with 2 X Li-Ion's. (the most popular configuration ordered)
    Last edited by jayrob; 11-22-2012 at 11:09 AM.

Flashaholic*

That's a great looking 1D stubby. Great pics too! Quick question: Is your stubby shorter than the black stubby shown on page 1 by jayrob? Is it shorter because you asked for the deep tailcap mod? thanks
    life's big questions/answers here:
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/qa.asp
    "So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God." Romans 14:12

Good eye, Carl! It may very well be, I asked Jay to make it as short as possible and that included him boring the tail cap so the 32650 would protrude into it slightly, with the spring seated at the very base of the tailcap. Jay also made sure good ground contact would be made by removing the anodized layer where the spring makes contact. This is as short as it can be with this Li-ion cell.

Oh darn, it's trash night, looks like I have to go out in the dark in the forboding countryside, whatever will I take with me?

Received my 2D mag mod from jayrob today and I have to say wow. What else can I say? It blows all my other lights out of the water. I can't be any happier or have received any better service from jayrob. He Is very professional all the way around, from the build to the sale/messages. Definitely a pleasure doing business with him!

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171821 ... LastLast