ArmyTek        
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: FS: 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 Maglite Mod With Voltage Monitor - Parts, or Complete Light!

Default Re: FS: 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 Maglite Mod With Voltage Monitor - Parts, or Complete Ligh

Quote Originally Posted by nlmedic View Post
    Hi Jayrob,

can you sent me a pm?

regards Stan
    Sure thing...

But you must have Private messaging disabled in your settings or something...

Because there is no option for me to send you a PM??

Default Re: FS: 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 Maglite Mod With Voltage Monitor - Parts, or Complete Ligh

Inkidu, I sent your heatsink and parts today...

ray241961, same goes for your complete build with voltage monitor!

Hope you like it!

hey, definitely want this for my 3d maglite. Don't necessarily want to have the full build including an additional maglite, ya really only need one mag lite ^_^ Just wondering what all I need for it and recommended batteries. Will i still be able/ have to use D's? guess I just want to know my options. Oh and can you ship to APO addresses?

Also, have you had any more experiments with reflectors?

Thanks in advance
    Current lights: 3d Mag, Petzl Tikka XP, couple other Petzl headlamps, Green Inova clip light, 2011 Olight M20S warrior S2, Quark MiNi Ti AA---Soon: also a MiNi 123 Ti model. Something Throwy 1000+ lumens (on order) & Med Size Tact. Light

Quote Originally Posted by DivineStrike View Post
    hey, definitely want this for my 3d maglite. Don't necessarily want to have the full build including an additional maglite, ya really only need one mag lite ^_^ Just wondering what all I need for it and recommended batteries. Will i still be able/ have to use D's? guess I just want to know my options. Oh and can you ship to APO addresses?

Also, have you had any more experiments with reflectors?

Thanks in advance
    Yes I ship to APO address all of the time!

About reflectors, I have tried #1 and #14 in this list:
    http://www.kaidomain.com/CategoryPag...?CategoryId=44

Both are about the same to my eye. Just a little improvement over the stock reflector. But not a huge improvement in my opinion... But they are nicer in that they are metal, and perfectly shaped. Once in a while your stock reflector may be a little off centered or slightly warped at the emitter area.

I happen to have an extra #1 reflector on hand if you want it for $15 bucks...

For a 3D build, it is great with 3 X NiMH batteries, and the 5 mode driver shown for my 'Stubby' build. (no voltage monitor needed)

In fact one of my personal builds it that very configuration. I keep that one in the car...

Hi Jayrob, I followed a link of yours over to a laser forum and I think you might have helped me find my next hobby...!!! I do have a green AimShot "10mW" that I use on my AR, but never knew about the DIY crowd for lasers. The green AimShot wows everyone who sees it, so I can't imagine how your custom builds look!

Anyways, onto the thread topic. I did look at your P7 build thread on the laser forum that showed a little more in-depth on the Maglite switch customization needed for the drop-in and I'm just making sure I understand the steps I will need to perform when I order your "Drop-In" option for $89.

So the drop-in you send will have two short wires coming off the back and I will need to solder those two from that back of the drop-in onto the two "lead" wires that I install myself onto my modified Maglite switch right? Here is the pic I'm referring to from the other forum: http://www.sonic.net/%7Ejayrob/Mag%20P7%203.jpg

Is there anything more difficult that just soldering those wires together and I'm good to go after I get my batteries and charger to fit my 2D mag? Not interested in a tailcap mod if I can fit two big ol rechargeables in there with no problems.

On an unrelated note:
    Thanks for the help and great work on your write-ups on lights and lasers. You are the breed of giving and selfless posters/DIY thread starters that are very few and far between that make forums the gold mines of information they are, whether it be flashlights, lasers, or any other hobby. Thanks for that and thanks for sharing your knowledge with the less-knowledgeable. Godspeed brother.

Quote Originally Posted by simplec6 View Post
    Hi Jayrob, I followed a link of yours over to a laser forum and I think you might have helped me find my next hobby...!!! I do have a green AimShot "10mW" that I use on my AR, but never knew about the DIY crowd for lasers. The green AimShot wows everyone who sees it, so I can't imagine how your custom builds look!

Anyways, onto the thread topic. I did look at your P7 build thread on the laser forum that showed a little more in-depth on the Maglite switch customization needed for the drop-in and I'm just making sure I understand the steps I will need to perform when I order your "Drop-In" option for $89.

So the drop-in you send will have two short wires coming off the back and I will need to solder those two from that back of the drop-in onto the two "lead" wires that I install myself onto my modified Maglite switch right? Here is the pic I'm referring to from the other forum: http://www.sonic.net/%7Ejayrob/Mag%20P7%203.jpg

Is there anything more difficult that just soldering those wires together and I'm good to go after I get my batteries and charger to fit my 2D mag? Not interested in a tailcap mod if I can fit two big ol rechargeables in there with no problems.

On an unrelated note:
    Thanks for the help and great work on your write-ups on lights and lasers. You are the breed of giving and selfless posters/DIY thread starters that are very few and far between that make forums the gold mines of information they are, whether it be flashlights, lasers, or any other hobby. Thanks for that and thanks for sharing your knowledge with the less-knowledgeable. Godspeed brother.
    Your welcome!

That picture is from a different build than what is shown in this thread, but the switch mod is the same.

You will be removing the switch, and cutting the stock bulb stem off, and then soldering on lead wires. Then my drop in module, (heatsink/emitter/driver) will connect to your lead wires...

You will have to also modify your stock reflector as shown in the pictures. (first post of this thread)

Other than that, just get the correct batteries. The most readily available, are the 32600's from KD. (linked in the first post)

Send me a private message for ordering!

Edit: Just found out about a U.S. source for protected 32650's! (but they are a little longer than unprotected 32650's, so a custom tail cap mod will be needed)
    http://www.novaeproducts.com/apps/we...s/show/1846436

Thanks for the parts Jayrob
    Everything arrived in good order.

Jayrob
    I would like to buy one of your complete Maglite's. Please send me a PM with all the details for ordering and what up-grades I can get with the light. Thanks

Enlightened

Hey Jay this is my new account, I just placed an order thru you under Elfmaze name. I guess my old account was wipped in the crash? But i'll post my follow up here now.

Can't wait to get all my parts in!

Quote Originally Posted by Inkidu View Post
    Thanks for the parts Jayrob
    Everything arrived in good order.
    Good deal...

Let me know how your build turns out!

I received my 2D Rebel build yesterday and 2x 32600s already charged! It took about ten days to ship to the UK and got through Customs no problem.

I took it out last night and was super-impressed, a hell of a lot of light, huge throw, huge spill. You can still focus the light by twisting the head, but you just set the spot as tight as possible and leave it, even with a tight spot it illuminates a whole building at 200 meters in a ton of light.

Everything a Maglite should have been, luckily we have guys like Jay beavering away in home workshops doing what Maglite should be doing.

Jay is a pleasure to deal with, no impatience or being annoyed by questions (I changed my specs after ordering and his attitude was great).

I don't have a similar large flashlight to compare it with but I compared it to my P60 NB XRE-R2 (my favourite flashlight) and the Maglite just blew it away.

Great switch with half-clicks to scroll through the three options.

And of course it has the very valuable added bonus - three hours run time on high! So that's 3 hours at 1000+ lumens, very impressive. Of course you don't have to leave it on high all the time...so even longer runtimes.

I am now considering a red stubby for the wife, but need to replenish the flashlight fund first.

Thanks Jay, great guy, great service.

Quote Originally Posted by Waspy View Post
    I received my 2D Rebel build yesterday and 2x 32600s already charged! It took about ten days to ship to the UK and got through Customs no problem.

I took it out last night and was super-impressed, a hell of a lot of light, huge throw, huge spill. You can still focus the light by twisting the head, but you just set the spot as tight as possible and leave it, even with a tight spot it illuminates a whole building at 200 meters in a ton of light.

Everything a Maglite should have been, luckily we have guys like Jay beavering away in home workshops doing what Maglite should be doing.

Jay is a pleasure to deal with, no impatience or being annoyed by questions (I changed my specs after ordering and his attitude was great).

I don't have a similar large flashlight to compare it with but I compared it to my P60 NB XRE-R2 (my favourite flashlight) and the Maglite just blew it away.

Great switch with half-clicks to scroll through the three options.

And of course it has the very valuable added bonus - three hours run time!

I am now considering a red stubby for the wife, but need to replenish the flashlight fund first.

Thanks Jay, great guy, great service.
    Thank you for taking the time to post some comments back!

I love to see good feedback...

Very glad you like the build. I always leave mine on high too. But it's nice to have the other modes. If your ever in a situation where you need it all night long, medium is still very bright (over 350 lumens), and will last about 9 hours between charges!

I purchased parts from jayrob to build a mag mod. It was my first mod which was quite easy with the help from jayrob. I am really pleased with this awesome light, nothing compares to this light. I have mostly single lights and this light just blows them away.

just wanna say, i'm really looking forward to getting this light. One of my primary decisions on this light, is that you get this great package in a Maglite. No one would expect this from a maglite and is why I chose it over other high output/throw lights. BTW, say I for some reason didn't want the current tint of the 1d emitter anymore and wanted something warmer or something happened to it. How hard would it be to swap out emitters?
    Current lights: 3d Mag, Petzl Tikka XP, couple other Petzl headlamps, Green Inova clip light, 2011 Olight M20S warrior S2, Quark MiNi Ti AA---Soon: also a MiNi 123 Ti model. Something Throwy 1000+ lumens (on order) & Med Size Tact. Light

Quote Originally Posted by hockne View Post
    I purchased parts from jayrob to build a mag mod. It was my first mod which was quite easy with the help from jayrob. I am really pleased with this awesome light, nothing compares to this light. I have mostly single lights and this light just blows them away.
    Sounds like your build went well!

Thanks for the feedback!

DivineStrike, changing the emitter is not too difficult if you are used to doing something like this...

The post is fit for a 14mm size. So if your emitter is on a 14mm round base, it will fit perfectly. The existing emitter will be thermal glued with Arctic silver. So after you de-solder the wires from the emitter, you will have to use a sharp knife and get an edge in there to carefully scrape it off without damaging the wires...

Thanks, definitely good to know it's an easy fix if something were to happen or if in the future I want a warmer beam.

Any chance, when ya have time, ya can get some LUX and OTF readings on your 2D build?

Thanks, definitely good to know it's an easy fix if something were to happen or if in the future I want a warmer beam.

Any chance, when ya have time, ya can get some LUX and OTF readings on your 2D build?
    I would but I just don't have a Lux meter...

There are quite a few people who mentioned comparisons with other flashlights though. I have all the feedback listed together here:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post3589203

Got my partial build, and finished it.

I love it!

The voltage monitor is definitely worth it and quite unique to the Mag build!

Quote Originally Posted by swrdply400mrelay View Post
    Got my partial build, and finished it.

I love it!

The voltage monitor is definitely worth it and quite unique to the Mag build!
    Glad it went well with your build...

Thanks for posting back!

Jayrob, I shot you a PM.
    -Candlepower is a rating of light output at the source
    -Lumens are a measurement of light at an illuminated object
    *Lumens are brightness, candlepower is beam shape

Hey jayrob looks like you should be honored by this guy lol....3 posts in two years and he decides your build is important enough...bravo. Sorry I know off topic but I'm bored.

Hey jayrob looks like you should be honored by this guy lol....3 posts in two years and he decides your build is important enough...bravo. Sorry I know off topic but I'm bored.
    Ha ha! Well maybe he read some of the feedback comments listed in the second post!

Just kidding... (kind of)

This build is a really great 'happy medium' for a really useful light that's plenty bright, but also has good run time. I was going to go for an SST-90 build, but then it would not have much run time in a 2 cell build. Plus it would get really hot at 8 or 9 Amps.

I'm very happy with this combination...

And you really get spoiled on the voltage monitor! (pats self on the back)

sry I've been away...generally on LPF haha...but haven't even been on there as well.
    -Candlepower is a rating of light output at the source
    -Lumens are a measurement of light at an illuminated object
    *Lumens are brightness, candlepower is beam shape

No need to apologize!

Quote Originally Posted by noch View Post
    Jayrob, I shot you a PM.
    PM returned...

Quote Originally Posted by jayrob View Post
    This build is a really great 'happy medium' for a really useful light that's plenty bright, but also has good run time. I was going to go for an SST-90 build, but then it would not have much run time in a 2 cell build. Plus it would get really hot at 8 or 9 Amps.

I'm very happy with this combination...

And you really get spoiled on the voltage monitor! (pats self on the back)
    well, after using this light for about a month now. i can truly say that this is the best light hands down "IF" you use it for work. the run time for a high power light is second to none. i would say do in part to the 3 mode settings.

#1 (low) is good for looking at and doing paper work.
    #2 (med) is good for general use and
    #3 (high) is for when you have to see something with a little distance.

i was used to having a ROP at work. i had to carry 3 battery packs cuz, it lasted anywhere for 30-40mins each and the thing i hated most was there was no warning as to when it would run dry. once it would start to dim it would go away real quick and sometimes i was in a bad spot (not near a spare battery). with Jayrob's light i now have a battery monitor and know exactly where i am with battery power. but not that i really need it since it runs 3.5+ hours on High!!!! and the best part is on "High" it out powers my ROP (Hi)

Thanks again Jayrob .... you build on hell of a light!

ps ... i'm putting something in the mail tomorrow for you ... hehe

what I think is kickass about builds, is if a emitter that's better, brighter and more efficient comes out all you gotta do is swap out emitters guess you could do that will all lights but for some reason I feel I would ruin the integrity of a purposely manufactured light vs one you build yourself.

I'm starting to look forward to getting mine. Looks like maybe another 2 weeks - since I asked Jayrob to get 4 batteries (not that I am lazy - but I didn't want to get the light in 2 weeks and have NO BATTERIES!).

But I can wait - I bought a light Nov 14, 2009 and had it shipped directly to someone doing an exotic coating run, had it stripped and coated in a blue gray HAIII, then it was shipped to me - I had it for 3 days - and then as planned shipped it to the original person who put the electronics in it to get LED / Driver / Heatsink updated. It is now back in the mail to me. SWEET. I'm not complaining - custom work takes time.

Jayrob - just don't try and make it longer than that.

I should be getting to your build later this week!

I'll be contacting you with the tracking number. Hopefully by Friday... (or early next week at the latest)

Quote Originally Posted by maddog View Post
    well, after using this light for about a month now. i can truly say that this is the best light hands down "IF" you use it for work. the run time for a high power light is second to none. i would say do in part to the 3 mode settings.

#1 (low) is good for looking at and doing paper work.
    #2 (med) is good for general use and
    #3 (high) is for when you have to see something with a little distance.

i was used to having a ROP at work. i had to carry 3 battery packs cuz, it lasted anywhere for 30-40mins each and the thing i hated most was there was no warning as to when it would run dry. once it would start to dim it would go away real quick and sometimes i was in a bad spot (not near a spare battery). with Jayrob's light i now have a battery monitor and know exactly where i am with battery power. but not that i really need it since it runs 3.5+ hours on High!!!! and the best part is on "High" it out powers my ROP (Hi)

Thanks again Jayrob .... you build on hell of a light!

ps ... i'm putting something in the mail tomorrow for you ... hehe
    Hey thanks for posting back with the update after using it at work and stuff...

Good to have your feedback.

Glad you like the build!

So after his build is finished, just wondering where do I sit in the queue?

So after his build is finished, just wondering where do I sit in the queue?
    Thanks in advance for your patience... Your order from 5/20, is still about 8 or 10 days out. (estimated)

I hope to get caught up a little better. So that I don't have to ask people to wait so long.

It's just that I have several different laser kits as well. (laser diode not included)

I try to be as fair as I can. I assemble the builds in the order of 'date paid' to be fair to everybody...

Talk to you soon!

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast