ArmyTek        
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast

Thread: FS: 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 Maglite Mod With Voltage Monitor - Parts, or Complete Light!

Default Re: FS: 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 Maglite Mod With Voltage Monitor - Parts, or Complete Ligh

Quote Originally Posted by killforfood View Post
    Jayrob,

Thanks for your thorough response.
    Happy customers don’t lie. After reading all of the feedback comments; I have to build a couple of these lights!!!

I have a few questions concerning the build:

1. You didn’t mention where to get the fiber optic. What did you use? Did it come with the voltage monitor?

2. Have you compared the dimensions of your heat sink with H22A’s? I’m using his heat sinks and am a bit concerned about having adequate space for the electronics.
    How deep into the tube is the bottom of your sink with the stock reflector?

Thank goodness you live in the state of Jefferson. This light would be known to cause cancer in the state of Kalifornia.
    I used 1/8" fiber optic cord. I had some from a long time ago, and I don't remember where I bought it, but I'm sure you can just Google it and find it easily...

About my heatsink, I have not compared it with the other one you mentioned. So I cannot answer your question about that, but I do show in my thread (first post), many pictures. Including the position of the heatsink/emitter. (for using the normal Maglite reflector) Note: The reflector is modified - also shown in the pics...

The Spectrum voltage monitor is linked with the other parts as well. (first post)

Send me a private message for ordering a light!

Default Re: FS: 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 Maglite Mod With Voltage Monitor - Parts, or Complete Ligh

Now that I am on my second build, I am thinking about gifting/donating to either a friend or the Army my first build.
    My ?
    While I spent enough time on this mod to not leave the flashlight on(hopefully), what would happen if the light was forgotten about and left on?
    There does seem to be some inherent safeguards in place i.e. the draw off the relatively large capacity cells is small, the driver was not designed
    to work at low voltages.
    I don't want to get anyone in the situation where something goes wrong and I might be the guy that knows just enough to be dangerous. (Just a novice)
    So has anyone left one of these flashlights on to they 'failed/went out' ? (Not a protected cell)
    How about desert temperatures?
    Or any other possible considerations???
    I understand this is a sale thread (sorry Jayrob) but these questions might easily be answered here.

Thanks for any help.

Well all I can really say, is that the owner/user must have some basic understanding on the precautions known for using Li-Ion batteries. Especially if they are using non-protected Li-Ion's...

People need to know basic stuff. Like only using a charger that is specifically for their Li-Ion cells, not to over discharge the batteries, etc...

Which is why I have a voltage monitor option for this build. So that you will know when the batteries need charging. But leaving the light on unattended, is obviously not recommended.

As far as temperatures, etc... I would say that there is most likely some information out there from manufactures of the Li-Ion cells...

Flashaholic

Hi,

i'm very interested in your "Stubby" Maglite Mod.

I'm in the german army and the Flashlights we get are very crapy.
    I was deployed to AFG several times and a good reliable Light is something you really need downrange.
    So i bought several Lights from different Manufacturers like Surefire and Fenix.

But none of them really satisfied me.
    Until i bought a tripple-led upgrade from Terralux for my Maglite 2D for the use with six Mignons in two D-Adapters.
    I really like the size of the Mag, that is like it fits in my Hand even with gloves on.

But i always thought: A little shorter would be great.
    Thats way i love your Stubby-Idea.

But there is one question left: If i don't have a fully charged LiIon Akku left is it possible to use it with three NiCd Mignons in a D-Adapter? These Mignons are the ones we can get in large Quantities and i think they are 1,5 V and 750 mAh (but i'm not 100% sure) The light dont need to run at highest Level with those Bats, but at a medium Level would be great.
    Is this possible?

Best Regards,

Panzergrennie
    Gb es nur eine Krone, wohlan ich schenkte sie, der Tapferkeit zum Lohne, der deutschen Infantrie!

Jayrob

I've been looking over your build and comments from those who have your custom maglite. I am impressed. I just registered with cpf and do not yet have PM priveliges. I am interested in getting one of your Maglites but I prefer the C-cell size to the D. What are the possibilities of something using the Cree xm-L t6 in a 2 or 3 C cell Maglite?

thanks,
    Wordwalker3

I can do the same build in a 2 cell C Maglite, but without the room for the voltage monitor. Just use these protected 25500 cells from DX:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/protect...-battery-26799

Of course the heatsink mass will be a little less, but it will be a good set up.

Or, you can use 3 X NiMH's in a 3C Maglite with the 5 mode driver shown for the 'Stubby' build.

Just let me know what you decide. PM me for ordering!

Quote Originally Posted by Panzergrennie View Post
    Hi,

i'm very interested in your "Stubby" Maglite Mod.

I'm in the german army and the Flashlights we get are very crapy.
    I was deployed to AFG several times and a good reliable Light is something you really need downrange.
    So i bought several Lights from different Manufacturers like Surefire and Fenix.

But none of them really satisfied me.
    Until i bought a tripple-led upgrade from Terralux for my Maglite 2D for the use with six Mignons in two D-Adapters.
    I really like the size of the Mag, that is like it fits in my Hand even with gloves on.

But i always thought: A little shorter would be great.
    Thats way i love your Stubby-Idea.

But there is one question left: If i don't have a fully charged LiIon Akku left is it possible to use it with three NiCd Mignons in a D-Adapter? These Mignons are the ones we can get in large Quantities and i think they are 1,5 V and 750 mAh (but i'm not 100% sure) The light dont need to run at highest Level with those Bats, but at a medium Level would be great.
    Is this possible?

Best Regards,

Panzergrennie
    Yes, if the 3 NiMH's are in series, then the voltage will be good for the 5 mode driver that I am using for the 'Stubby' build. But with 3 X AA sized NiMH's in series, your capacity will not be anywhere near as good as it would be with the large format Li-Ion. I can get these readily: (or just order direct)
    http://www.novaeproducts.com/apps/we...s/show/1846436

Flashaholic

I'm fully aware of the Capacity-Problem with the AA's.
    I would only use them in case of emergency if no charged LiIon are available.

So what would you charge for the Stubby with four LiIons (the ones with 6000 mAh?)
    plus shipping to Germany?
    It would also be great if you could sell me four of the leads with the attached magnets that you use to solder them to the charger. I already have a Ultrafire Charger with two Bays for 14500 or 10440 Akkus. Can i use this charger when i solder the magnet-leads to this charger?

Please tell me the total cost and where to send the money.

P.S. Is it possoble for you to fin the Head? Or could you send it over to another fellow CPF'ler to do it?
    Gb es nur eine Krone, wohlan ich schenkte sie, der Tapferkeit zum Lohne, der deutschen Infantrie!

Quote Originally Posted by Panzergrennie View Post
    I'm fully aware of the Capacity-Problem with the AA's.
    I would only use them in case of emergency if no charged LiIon are available.

So what would you charge for the Stubby with four LiIons (the ones with 6000 mAh?)
    plus shipping to Germany?
    It would also be great if you could sell me four of the leads with the attached magnets that you use to solder them to the charger. I already have a Ultrafire Charger with two Bays for 14500 or 10440 Akkus. Can i use this charger when i solder the magnet-leads to this charger?

Please tell me the total cost and where to send the money.

P.S. Is it possoble for you to fin the Head? Or could you send it over to another fellow CPF'ler to do it?
    Sending private message...

pm sent

Quote Originally Posted by lamuddog View Post
    pm sent
    Got your covered!

By the way...

mvasquez, I'm sending your XM-L T6 builds today. Hope you like them!

lamuddog, just to let you know that I am shipping your XM-L T6 build today...

Hope you like it!

Flashaholic

Jayrob, I'm still loving my 2D with voltage monitor. As I stated before, it's pretty much my go-to light. I'm starting to get the itch to take on some more modding projects of my own now, so I have a couple of questions for you. First, how much would you charge for a C size heat sink? (with and without emitter mounted) Second, since you don't deal in the emitters, how long does shipping from Cutter usually take? Finally, what method do you use to attach the driver board to the heatsink? Do you pot it with thermal adhesive? I learned the hard way on another mod in which I fried the driver board when it shorted out against the inside of the heatsink cavity, and could've burnt the house down as well. After ordering another driver and potting it with Arctic Alumina, I haven't had any problems. Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by tjhabak View Post
    Jayrob, I'm still loving my 2D with voltage monitor. As I stated before, it's pretty much my go-to light. I'm starting to get the itch to take on some more modding projects of my own now, so I have a couple of questions for you. First, how much would you charge for a C size heat sink? (with and without emitter mounted) Second, since you don't deal in the emitters, how long does shipping from Cutter usually take? Finally, what method do you use to attach the driver board to the heatsink? Do you pot it with thermal adhesive? I learned the hard way on another mod in which I fried the driver board when it shorted out against the inside of the heatsink cavity, and could've burnt the house down as well. After ordering another driver and potting it with Arctic Alumina, I haven't had any problems. Thanks in advance!
    It may be a smaller size heatsink for a C Mag, but it's basically the same work. So the price would be the same...

It takes a couple of weeks from Cutter.

For fitting the driver. I leave only a very small lip for the board to sit on. So none of the components near the edge can touch the heatsink. The only thing you have to watch out for, is your solder connections.

So no, I have not been using any thermal adhesive with this build. I just use a knife, and put divots (by hand) into the edge. This keeps the board from coming out:

Flashaholic*

I'll take a complete light in Black with all the trimmings as per PM

Payment Sent (Unique Transaction ID #0GR79766N18846305)

Cheers
    mossyoak --> Dear God man, its your honeymoon, screw the flashlights, bring one or two and some backup batteries, and fill up all that extra room you have with condoms and alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by tolkaze View Post
    I'll take a complete light in Black with all the trimmings as per PM

Payment Sent (Unique Transaction ID #0GR79766N18846305)

Cheers
    Got you covered!

Talk to you soon...

Hoping to hear back and see some comments from some of you recent buyers!

anyone in the western burbs of chicago have one of these? And would like to get together with me so I can compare to my 3cXML...?
    Theres a beer in it for ya
    Tony

Hey All,

i'm posting this because this is one of my pet peeves and something very few people understand.

just ask someone how good a company is ... any company. most will say it's a Great Company because they have had no problems with them. but that's far from the truth. the way to judge a company is ... how do they handle problems!

well, i'd like to say for those that may have reservations about Jayrob, that he is one awsome person to deal with.

my story ...

i use my light everyday at work. well, after about a month or so it started to act up. after about 4-5mins of use on high the light would start to flicker. i had no idea what was going on so i contacted Jay and he told me to send him the light back. after getting my light, he told me he found the problem and fixed it ... No Charge!

i was happy to hear this. but wait there's more! with my light back in hand, i open the box and behold there is another flashlight in the box! i don't know what the make is but i can say it runs off of 2x123's and puts out a good amount of light ... this is no $20 light by far ... and this was A Gift! for any inconveniences that the lost of my light might have cost me ... all i can say is WOW!

now if there is any better customer service out there i would sure like to know about it.

Jayrob you ROCK! Thanks Again!

Hi Jayrob,
    Just found this forum today and I must say, even though I know absolutely NOTHING about how to modify a flashlight of any kind, I DO know I have a light fetish (at least my wife says so). I've fallen in love with your XM-L T6 and realize I will have to save up some money to buy a complete one from you. I have a couple of questions about it though... How durable are they for being knocked around, like camping, hunting, rescue missions in the pouring rain and wind? This light will be used more for emergencies than anything else.
    I have an old 6 cell "D" battery mag light with a focusable beam. Can you do anything with that? I love the run time of your XM-6, that is very important to me.
    Phill

Quote Originally Posted by phillger51 View Post
    Hi Jayrob,
    Just found this forum today and I must say, even though I know absolutely NOTHING about how to modify a flashlight of any kind, I DO know I have a light fetish (at least my wife says so). I've fallen in love with your XM-L T6 and realize I will have to save up some money to buy a complete one from you. I have a couple of questions about it though... How durable are they for being knocked around, like camping, hunting, rescue missions in the pouring rain and wind? This light will be used more for emergencies than anything else.
    I have an old 6 cell "D" battery mag light with a focusable beam. Can you do anything with that? I love the run time of your XM-6, that is very important to me.
    Phill
    Hi,

This modification should be just as durable as the stock Maglite I would say... Hopefully more actually. Since an LED emitter will last, and the stock bulb will not.

About your 6D Maglite. If you wanted to send it to me, I could cut it down to the 2D size, and do this same modification shown in the first post.

But it's not going to be a huge savings, because I charge $18 dollars to cut down a host. Plus you would have to ship it to me. So actually, it will probably cost more than ordering a brand new 2D host for you... (with a new one,you get your choice of color)

Send me a private message!

Quote Originally Posted by maddog View Post
    Hey All,

i'm posting this because this is one of my pet peeves and something very few people understand.

just ask someone how good a company is ... any company. most will say it's a Great Company because they have had no problems with them. but that's far from the truth. the way to judge a company is ... how do they handle problems!

well, i'd like to say for those that may have reservations about Jayrob, that he is one awsome person to deal with.

my story ...

i use my light everyday at work. well, after about a month or so it started to act up. after about 4-5mins of use on high the light would start to flicker. i had no idea what was going on so i contacted Jay and he told me to send him the light back. after getting my light, he told me he found the problem and fixed it ... No Charge!

i was happy to hear this. but wait there's more! with my light back in hand, i open the box and behold there is another flashlight in the box! i don't know what the make is but i can say it runs off of 2x123's and puts out a good amount of light ... this is no $20 light by far ... and this was A Gift! for any inconveniences that the lost of my light might have cost me ... all i can say is WOW!

now if there is any better customer service out there i would sure like to know about it.

Jayrob you ROCK! Thanks Again!
    Thanks for the kind words!

Glad I could help... It was just a 'fluke' connection issue that was easy to find, and it was not something that was due to any abuse, or dropping of the light, or anything like that.

I know you use your light a lot for work and stuff, so I was thinking that maybe it got dropped or something, but upon inspection, I did not find that to be the case.

Hope it keeps on giving you those long duty uses!

Flashaholic*

Really getting itchy to try mine when it gets built, every good review you get, the more I yearn for mine because I know it is just what I want. Keep up the good work
    mossyoak --> Dear God man, its your honeymoon, screw the flashlights, bring one or two and some backup batteries, and fill up all that extra room you have with condoms and alcohol.

Great build! I may have missed it, but what driver are you using in these builds?
    Cheers from the McGizmo state.

Really getting itchy to try mine when it gets built, every good review you get, the more I yearn for mine because I know it is just what I want. Keep up the good work

I'm working on your build now!

Talk to you soon!

Quote Originally Posted by maxspeeds View Post
    Great build! I may have missed it, but what driver are you using in these builds?
    Linked in the first post with all parts used:
    http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDeta...ProductId=1866

This driver works very well with the XM-L emitter. Not sure how it will work with other emitters (such an a P7), but excellent with the very efficient XM-L...

See some buyer feedback for this build listed together here:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post3589203
    Last edited by jayrob; 11-22-2012 at 10:54 AM.

My stubby is definitely my go-to around the house. The full sized one is for anything away from home where I want the even more extended run time. I had some friends over a couple of weeks ago helping pack/move some heavy stuff and they were blown away by this light. The quality of the build and the throw is ever impressive !!!. And Jay is a great guy all around, speaking as someone who has met the man, the myth, the legend, in person !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkss View Post
    My stubby is definitely my go-to around the house. The full sized one is for anything away from home where I want the even more extended run time. I had some friends over a couple of weeks ago helping pack/move some heavy stuff and they were blown away by this light. The quality of the build and the throw is ever impressive !!!. And Jay is a great guy all around, speaking as someone who has met the man, the myth, the legend, in person !!!
    Thanks for those good words of yours!

Really glad you like the your lights!

[QUOTE=jayrob;3699177]I can do the same build in a 2 cell C Maglite, but without the room for the voltage monitor. Just use these protected 25500 cells from DX:

Of course the heatsink mass will be a little less, but it will be a good set up.

Or, you can use 3 X NiMH's in a 3C Maglite with the 5 mode driver shown for the 'Stubby' build.

Jayrob,

If I use a 3 c maglite and 2 Li-ion c cells from DX, can the voltage monitor be housed on the battery side of the switch in a "dummy c cell" either permanently attached to the switch or in an independant dummy c cell?

Wordwalker3

Wordwalker3

[QUOTE=wordwalker3;3734709]
    Quote Originally Posted by jayrob View Post
    I can do the same build in a 2 cell C Maglite, but without the room for the voltage monitor. Just use these protected 25500 cells from DX:

Jayrob,

If I use a 3 c maglite and 2 Li-ion c cells from DX, can the voltage monitor be housed on the battery side of the switch in a "dummy c cell" either permanently attached to the switch or in an independant dummy c cell?

Wordwalker3

Wordwalker3
    I guess it could be possibly yes, but it sounds kind of tricky...

The head size of the 2D Mag, is the same as the 2C, so I highly recommend the 2D build. And it will have much better capacity, and better heat management as well!

Also, I should mention about that quote talking about those cells from DX, they do fit in a 2C host, but only with a tail cap and spring mod...

Flashaholic*

Just received mine a little while ago. So happy to finally have it. The build quality is excellent, the spectrum battery meter sits perfectly flush and does exactly as advertised, the beam is beautiful and damn is it bright! I love the balance of the light, and the heat sink seems to be doing its job very well. The only other big lights I have to put it up against are a TK30 and a Maelstrom S18. It is brighter and throws further than the TK30 and has a tighter beam than the S18 (although, the S18 beats out the 1000 Lumen Mag build, you can understand that though, since it is a heavily driven SST-90 in a HUUUGE body) Overall, the Mag is definately better in the hand, and since it looks stock (even if you look in the business end, it the untrained eye couldn't tell it apart from a stock MagLED) it is a real sleeper too!

I did get some 32650 cells from Novae, and they arrived pretty quick too, however since they are 5mm longer than 32600's and 25600's the tailcap is very tight. But having said that, I have some 25600's on order, and asked to get the battery sleeve as well so it should be an excellent all rounder.

I can't wait to get this outside, since its only 5pm, I can't really enjoy this light just yet.

Thanks again for a great build

Edit: Just read up on the Novae Cells, and was thinking that with the Battery monitor and the switch already modded to within an inch of its life, I can't really squeeze these big cells in any further, so will switch out for the smaller cells when they arrive.

Just received mine a little while ago. So happy to finally have it. The build quality is excellent, the spectrum battery meter sits perfectly flush and does exactly as advertised, the beam is beautiful and damn is it bright! I love the balance of the light, and the heat sink seems to be doing its job very well. The only other big lights I have to put it up against are a TK30 and a Maelstrom S18. It is brighter and throws further than the TK30 and has a tighter beam than the S18 (although, the S18 beats out the 1000 Lumen Mag build, you can understand that though, since it is a heavily driven SST-90 in a HUUUGE body) Overall, the Mag is definately better in the hand, and since it looks stock (even if you look in the business end, it the untrained eye couldn't tell it apart from a stock MagLED) it is a real sleeper too!

I did get some 32650 cells from Novae, and they arrived pretty quick too, however since they are 5mm longer than 32600's and 25600's the tailcap is very tight. But having said that, I have some 25600's on order, and asked to get the battery sleeve as well so it should be an excellent all rounder.

I can't wait to get this outside, since its only 5pm, I can't really enjoy this light just yet.

Thanks again for a great build

Edit: Just read up on the Novae Cells, and was thinking that with the Battery monitor and the switch already modded to within an inch of its life, I can't really squeeze these big cells in any further, so will switch out for the smaller cells when they arrive.
    Glad you like the build!

Thanks for posting back!

About the protected cells from Novae. They will barely fit with my custom tail cap mod shown in this thread:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ht-Maglite-Mod!

I charge $15 bucks for the tail cap mod shown there. And chances are, your light has the correct switch needed for the fit. In fact I'm sure it does.

Send me a PM if you would like to send me the tail cap... (or a new one if that one is damaged)

Just an FYI to all out there: The 2 cell XM-L mag mod w/ battery monitor that I got from Jay is now fitted with a Fivemega throwmaster head (I went with the FM2.5 so that was not too much of a difference in appearance). the only modification necessary was drilling one step down with an Irwin Unibit #4 (got from home depot) on the FM itself. less than a minute after receiving the FM in the mail I had it drilled and mounted on the XM-L maglite from Jay . And f you don't mind not being able to focus, you could get away without drilling at all. But you would need to be careful about over-tightening the head in the future. Something that is not a problem once it is drilled out one size larger. the FM head where it needs to be drilled is aluminum, so it is much easier to drill w/o fear (IE: if it were plastic or any other material like the stock one is at that drill point, then there would be a greater chance of cracking/damaging during drilling, not really an issue with the aluminum).

So for all of those wondering about putting an FM on one of these awesome lights from Jay, the answer is an easy Yes!

EDIT : just to point out, that since I never touched the light itself, I could swap back to the stock head/reflector in seconds, if I ever wanted to.

EDIT 2 : Jay, I think I am going to ring you up about one of those tail cap mods too . I can bring the FM Light over to let you see how the FM head fits.

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast