Maxtorch        
Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast

Thread: FS: 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 Maglite Mod With Voltage Monitor - Parts, or Complete Light!

Default Re: FS: 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 Maglite Mod With Voltage Monitor - Parts, or Complete Ligh

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkss View Post
    Just an FYI to all out there: The 2 cell XM-L mag mod w/ battery monitor that I got from Jay is now fitted with a Fivemega throwmaster head (I went with the FM2.5 so that was not too much of a difference in appearance). the only modification necessary was drilling one step down with an Irwin Unibit #4 (got from home depot) on the FM itself. less than a minute after receiving the FM in the mail I had it drilled and mounted on the XM-L maglite from Jay . And f you don't mind not being able to focus, you could get away without drilling at all. But you would need to be careful about over-tightening the head in the future. Something that is not a problem once it is drilled out one size larger. the FM head where it needs to be drilled is aluminum, so it is much easier to drill w/o fear (IE: if it were plastic or any other material like the stock one is at that drill point, then there would be a greater chance of cracking/damaging during drilling, not really an issue with the aluminum).

So for all of those wondering about putting an FM on one of these awesome lights from Jay, the answer is an easy Yes!

EDIT : just to point out, that since I never touched the light itself, I could swap back to the stock head/reflector in seconds, if I ever wanted to.

EDIT 2 : Jay, I think I am going to ring you up about one of those tail cap mods too . I can bring the FM Light over to let you see how the FM head fits.
    For the protected 32650 cells from Novae?

Sure, just let me know!

I'd like to meet you in the evening when it's dark, so that I can see that throwmaster compared side to side with a normal stock Maglite reflector...

Default Re: FS: 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 Maglite Mod With Voltage Monitor - Parts, or Complete Ligh

Hi Jay
    parts for mag 2d conversion, shipped to denmark what is the price ?.

Quote Originally Posted by khas View Post
    Hi Jay
    parts for mag 2d conversion, shipped to denmark what is the price ?.
    I sell the drop in module (heatsink/emitter/driver), assembled and tested for $89 plus shipping...

I don't sell all the other parts except for in a complete build. But I do show all of the information, with links to these parts in the first post.

Just send me a private message for a total with shipping...

Quote Originally Posted by jayrob View Post

Hi, yes I have built them using 3 X NiMH's with the 5 mode driver, as well as 5 X NiMH's, with the 3 mode driver shown for the 2D build. And I have taken measurements and readings from them. I have the information...

Are you talking about 3 X NiMH's with the 5 mode 'Stubby' driver?

If so, the price will be cheaper than the Stubby pricing. Because I won't have as much work in the host modification...

The complete XM-L T6 Maglite 3 X NiMH / 5 mode build will include: (batteries not included)

* 3D Maglite host (your choice of color)
    * Switch prep
    * Reflector mod
    * Heatsink/driver/XM-L T6 emitter installed and tested
    * Assembled and ready for your batteries
    $126

* Shipping will be based on PayPal fees plus postage.

Send me a PM for total with shipping!
    Jayrob,
    What is the illumination for that particular flashlight on hi-med-lo settings. And to make sure I understand correctly . . . 3 x NiMH would mean using something like Tenergy 8000 or 10000 mah batteries?
    I am referring to these or these...
    http://www.batteriesinaflash.com/rec...le-battery-2pk
    http://www.batteriesinaflash.com/ass...button-top-2pk

I am interested in the complete XM-L T6 Maglite mod with the voltage monitor and the tail cap mod. (I will PM you once I get my 2 posts approved and can PM)

Quote Originally Posted by Heath_m View Post
    Jayrob,
    What is the illumination for that particular flashlight on hi-med-lo settings. And to make sure I understand correctly . . . 3 x NiMH would mean using something like Tenergy 8000 or 10000 mah batteries?
    I am referring to these or these...
    http://www.batteriesinaflash.com/rec...le-battery-2pk
    http://www.batteriesinaflash.com/ass...button-top-2pk
    Yes those are the batteries for building a 3 X NiMH mod in a 3D Maglite/5 mode 'Stubbby' driver...

In that same 3D Maglite host, you could also choose a 5 X NiMH battery pack. (same as Mag Charger pack) You can get stand alone chargers for that pack. In that case, you will use the 3 mode driver.

With the Mag Charger pack, you could also even have a voltage monitor. Because you can get a Spectrum voltage monitor like I show in the first post, that is specifically for NiMH's. (but it need to be a 4 or 5 NiMH pack - configurable)

In fact, I'm building a 3D Mag, with the Mag Charger battery pack, and voltage monitor installed at the moment...

The current to the emitter, will be very much the same as with a 2 cell Li-Ion build. And the brightness will be pretty much identical.

With a 3 NiMH build, we have to use the 5 mode driver that I show for the 'Stubby' mod. The brightness is very close to the same. The current to the emitter will be pretty much the same as shown in my first post under the current readings for the 'Stubby'...

Ok, I only have 2 or 3 more questions . . . Then I think I know what I want to order! Which battery setup will give me more juice from your XM-L T6 Maglite setup:
    3D's like the Tenergys, or your 5 x NiMH battery pack setup that you refer to?
    Am I correct to understand that whether I go 3 D's or the 5 x NiMH pack, the bellow figures are the estimated outputs? (can you tell me what lumens are on the hi/low also?)
    * High - 1575mA's... Estimated run time - Over 3 hours!
    * Medium - 525mA's... Estimated run time - 9 1/2 hours at about 350 lumens!
    * Low - 114mA's - Estimated run time - 43 hours!
    Are there different size 5 x NiMH packs?
    What will the price be for a 5 x NiMH build with and with out the juice monitor installed?
    Im concerned about keeping it waterproof so I'm wondering if with the juice monitor if it is no longer waterproof?

Quote Originally Posted by Heath_m View Post
    Ok, I only have 2 or 3 more questions . . . Then I think I know what I want to order! Which battery setup will give me more juice from your XM-L T6 Maglite setup:
    3D's like the Tenergys, or your 5 x NiMH battery pack setup that you refer to?
    Am I correct to understand that whether I go 3 D's or the 5 x NiMH pack, the bellow figures are the estimated outputs? (can you tell me what lumens are on the hi/low also?)

Edit: This is battery current draw from 2 X Li-Ion's. (I showed battery current draw, as well as current measurements to the emitter - see first post)
    * High - 1575mA's... Estimated run time - Over 3 hours!
    * Medium - 525mA's... Estimated run time - 9 1/2 hours at about 350 lumens!
    * Low - 114mA's - Estimated run time - 43 hours!
    Are there different size 5 x NiMH packs?
    What will the price be for a 5 x NiMH build with and with out the juice monitor installed?
    Im concerned about keeping it waterproof so I'm wondering if with the juice monitor if it is no longer waterproof?
    Those current measurements are battery current draw from 2 X Li-Ion's. Battery current draw, is different from current to the emitter. (I showed battery current draw, as well as current measurements to the emitter - see first post)

I am quoting the lumen output based on the CREE data sheet for the XM-L T6 emitter. Which is 1000 lumens at 3 Amps. The battery current draw is different from the current to the emitter. Depending on voltage supply, and driver used. I can tell you that 2600mA's to the emitter vs 3 Amps to the emitter, will not be much difference. I can't notice any. These emitters are very bright!

Check the first post for current delivered to the emitter for high, medium, low. This will give you an idea what kind of lumens you can expect/estimate. I read that the XM-L T6 will be about 380 lumens at 1 Amp, and the 5 mode driver delivers about 1100mA's on medium. The 3 mode driver is about 950mA's on medium...

About your waterproof question. Water resistant is more accurate... It's not meant to be under water at all. The side button switch would be the first place to leak when you press the button...

So with that said, my voltage monitor fiber optic plug that is pressed and glued in place, is just as water resistant.

About the 5 X 1/2D NiMH packs, I believe the highest capacity that I have seen, is 3500mAh's capacity. And if you go with 3 X D sized NiMH's, you can have about 10,000mAh's capacity.

We're talking about two different drivers for the builds, and two different voltage supplies as well...

Here are some estimates for the two different scenarios: (estimates - current draw will obviously change as the batteries drain, and voltage drops)

For example, with the 5 NiMH voltage, fully charged, the current draw from the battery pack with the 3 mode driver, will be about 1845mA's. So with a 3500mAh's pack, you should have about 2 hours on high.

On the other hand, 3 X D sized NiMN's with the 5 mode driver, will have a battery current draw of about 2600mA's on high. (different voltage supply, different driver)

So if your using the 10,000mAh Tenergy cells, then you will have about 3 1/2 hours of run time between charges...

Anyway, just PM me for ordering, and I will get you a total with shipping, depending on what you decide to go with...

If i was to purchase one of these to go in a maglite with a FiveMega throwmaster head would i need to send the head to you when you build the light or could you build it without the head?

Quote Originally Posted by yarney05 View Post
    If i was to purchase one of these to go in a maglite with a FiveMega throwmaster head would i need to send the head to you when you build the light or could you build it without the head?
    Sparkss, just showed me his Throwmaster installed on one of his lights that he got from me the other night...

He said that he had to size the bottom of the reflector to fit over the 14mm emitter. But if I know ahead of time that you want to put that head on the light, then I can size the emitter and post down to a 12mm size as mentioned in the first post. (talking about the 'Rebel' build)

See this post:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?310685-FS-1000-Lumen-XM-L-T6-Maglite-Mod-With-Voltage-Monitor-Parts-or-Complete-Light!&p=3735644&viewfull=1#post3735644

You can't go wrong with a mag-lite setup from Jay + an FM throwmaster head (unless you don't like alot of light ).

Here is the skinny.

Jays setup sits on a 14mm post that fits into the stock mag-lite reflector.
    FMs TM head uses a 12.5mm reflector opening.

If you know ahead of time that you are going to use an FM head, then Jay can shave down the post to 12.5mm before he mounts the LED onto it. Problem solved, the FM head will just screw right on.

If your already own a JayRob mag-lite (like I did) and then decide later that you want to put on an FM throwmaster head, then you need to use a uni-bit (I used an Irwin #4 from Home Depot) and make the FM reflector opening bigger (from 12.5mm to 14mm). Then just install the FM head and you are all set to go.

So two ways to go to get a JayRob light + FM head combo. Just a matter of timing, really, of when you decide you want such a combo

Flashaholic

Hello, i want to order 1 BLUE complete modified XML T6 Maglite WITH rebel reflector.(2 D-size batteries)
    Price 129 + 25 (rebel) = 154 dollars
    Thanks Marc
    CPFname: bonhomme
    (is it possible to get a T5 xml?)

Quote Originally Posted by bonhomme View Post
    Hello, i want to order 1 BLUE complete modified XML T6 Maglite WITH rebel reflector.(2 D-size batteries)
    Price 129 + 25 (rebel) = 154 dollars
    Thanks Marc
    CPFname: bonhomme
    (is it possible to get a T5 xml?)
    Hi, that total is correct, plus shipping...

Yes I can use that emitter if you know where to get one, if you can have it shipped to me, then just subtract $10 bucks from the total of my quote.

I'll reply on your e-mail that I just got from you...

I have 1A and 1D tints for the T6, both are about the same:

Flashaholic

Talking Re: FS: 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 Maglite Mod With Voltage Monitor - Parts, or Complete Ligh

I recieved my 3D with voltage monitor and 1D stubby lights three days ago. I haven't had much time to play with them yet, but I did get to check them out outside in the dark for several minutes. I really like the way Jay performs the work on these mods. Everything is very neat and tidy with a factory appearance. Anyone who has read the entire thread may notice I already had a 2D with Voltage monitor built by Jay. I really liked it, and it is our primary light for use around the house. Since it stays there, I decided to get the 3D made to use for work, and get the stubby to carry in a pocket, or use outdoors whenever I need something easy to carry around (not quite small enough for edc!!! LOL). It easily and securely fits in the back pocket of my jeans for when I think I may need something bigger than the AAA light on my keychain. The 3D uses the standard Mag Charger 6V battery pack, and I have an external charger for the battery. I like this light because the NiMH battery pack is safer than Li-Ion batteries and I've always thought the 3D Mag is the perfect size for a "real" light. (it was the first light I ever bought with my "own money" back when I was 11 or 12, and getting ready for summer camp. This mod takes it to a whole new level of usefulness, and the voltage monitor is just cool to have IMO. Comparing the stubby to the 3D, I can tell you that in practical use, there is virtually no difference in brightness or intensity. All three of my Jayrob lights are winners! If you're even thinking about having Jay build a light for you, just do it. He stands behind his work, but they're pretty much bomb proof anyways. You can't beat the feel and ruggedness of the Maglites, but their incan and led stock bulbs leave alot to be desired. The XM-L mod gives you the best of both worlds. One more thing, to add. In two of the three Jayrob mods I have, I'm using an aluminum orange-peel reflector fro Kai Domain. These give you a really nice beam, with a smooth transition from the hot spot to the spill, and what you lose in throw is very minimal. I am difinitely a satisfied customer, and I'm sure I'll still have these lights the day I die. Finally, I also want to point out that Jay is really good about keeping communication with his customers throughout the entire process of planning and building the light. He answered all my questions with-in a few hours usually, and none went unanswered for longer than a day. You just don't get customer service like that too many places these days!

I received my 2D Maglite with 32650's, UCL lens, and battery monitor from jayrob earlier this week. It is now my primary light at work. As a police officer, this light is pretty much perfect for my needs. Bright as hell, just big and heavy enough to work as an emergency impact weapon, and not an overly complicated user interface. Most of my partners carry stock Streamlight Ultrastingers and they all chuckled when they saw the ol' Maglite at briefing....until they saw it in action! This thing is a hand cannon, plain and simple. I'll be happy to report on the long-term reliability as I use it more.

Thanks for great feedback from you both!

I love to read that you guys like the build...

Thanks for everything!

Do you not offer a 3D Li-ion configuration because of the voltage limits of the drivers?
    Sorry if this was addressed I only skimmed through all 8 pages of questions and answers.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrysimons View Post
    Do you not offer a 3D Li-ion configuration because of the voltage limits of the drivers?
    Sorry if this was addressed I only skimmed through all 8 pages of questions and answers.
    Per the driver specs, it can handle 3 X Li-Ion's, and possibly that will work with a P7 emitter... (I don't know)

But I do know that it is not good for this XM-L emitter/driver combination. I tried it twice, and both times the emitter fried. I'm guessing too much voltage got through to the emitter.

This emitter is much more efficient than a P7 emitter. (which is what the driver is supposed to be for)

This build, using the 3 mode driver / 2 cell Li-Ion, is perfect with the XM-L emitter!

Hope you got a chance to read some of the buyer feedback in the second post of this thread!

It also works excellent with a Mag Charger battery pack in a 3D host, or 5 X normal sized NiMH's in a 5 D host.

For the 'Stubby' version, I'm using a 5 mode driver that works excellent with a single Li-Ion, or 3 X NiMH's in a 3D host...
    Last edited by jayrob; 11-22-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jayrob View Post
    Per the driver specs, it can handle 3 X Li-Ion's, and possibly that will work with a P7 emitter... (I don't know)

But I do know that it is not good for this XM-L T6 emitter/driver combination. I tried it twice, and both times the emitter fried. I'm guessing too much voltage got through to the emitter.

This emitter is much more efficient than a P7 emitter. (which is what the driver is supposed to be for)

This build, using the 3 mode driver / 2 cell Li-Ion, is perfect with the XM-L T6 emitter!

Hope you got a chance to read some of the buyer feedback in the second post of this thread!

It also works excellent with a Mag Charger battery pack in a 3D host, or 5 X normal sized NiMH's in a 5 D host.

For the 'Stubby' version, I'm using a 5 mode driver that works excellent with a single Li-Ion, or 3 X NiMH's in a 3D host...
    Thanks. I understand.
    I did read every single one it is not a matter of if but when.
    So what cell combination would give me the most capacity? I assume the 2xLi-ion 3 mode 2D with 6000mAh cells?

Thanks. I understand.
    I did read every single one it is not a matter of if but when.
    So what cell combination would give me the most capacity? I assume the 2xLi-ion 3 mode 2D with 6000mAh cells?
    Yes that's the best for a 2D size host...

It's the most popular build as well, with the voltage monitor option.

The Feilong 6000mAh 32650 cells are the best. I stock them...

Tested here and holding capacity even at 13 Amps!
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...28#post3936828

I can also send the complete light with batteries and charger if you want. Just send me a private message for a total when your ready!
    Last edited by jayrob; 11-22-2012 at 11:03 AM.

What kind of 5D and 6D Mag configurations do you offer? Would the over all capacity and runtime using D-size NiMH (5D, 5x1.2v 2500mAh NiMH = 6v 12,500mAh; or 6D, 6x1.2v 2500mAh NiMH =7.2v 15,000mAh) exceed the 2xLi-ion (2x32650 3.6v 5500mAh = 7.2v 11,000mAh ) setup given the voltage and discharge rate differences between them?
    Thanks for being so willing to answer questions

What kind of 5D and 6D Mag configurations do you offer? Would the over all capacity and runtime using D-size NiMH (5D, 5x1.2v 2500mAh NiMH = 6v 12,500mAh; or 6D, 6x1.2v 2500mAh NiMH =7.2v 15,000mAh) exceed the 2xLi-ion (2x32650 3.6v 5500mAh = 7.2v 11,000mAh ) setup given the voltage and discharge rate differences between them?
    Thanks for being so willing to answer questions
    If you go with a larger host using NiMH's, I recommend a 5D size, with 5 X 10,000mAh NiMH's... (6D would also be fine, but obviously a larger host)

When batteries are in series, you multiply the voltage, not the capacity. So you will have around 10,000mAh's capacity with that set up, vs about 5500mAh's using the 2 X Li-Ions.

If you went with 6 X NiMH's in a 6D Mag, then the voltage will be very much the same as with 2 X Li-Ion's. But 5 is all you need for the 3 mode driver to work well...

Overall voltage supply, will also affect the amount of current that will be drawn from the supply. For instance, with 5 X NiMH's, the current draw from the batteries at full charge on high, will be around 1845mA's. So some quick math, will give you an estimate of your expected run time with 10,000mAh capacity... (about 5 1/2 hours)

[/QUOTE]When batteries are in series, you multiply the voltage, not the capacity. So you will have around 10,000mAh's capacity with that set up, vs about 5500mAh's using the 2 X Li-Ions.

If you went with 6 X NiMH's in a 6D Mag, then the voltage will be very much the same as with 2 X Li-Ion's. But 5 is all you need for the 3 mode driver to work well...

Overall voltage supply, will also affect the amount of current that will be drawn from the supply. For instance, with 5 X NiMH's, the current draw from the batteries at full charge on high, will be around 1845mA's. So some quick math, will give you an estimate of your expected run time with 10,000mAh capacity... (about 5 1/2 hours)[/QUOTE]

Wow thanks. So does higher overall voltage result in less current draw?
    I know the post says you can do a NiMH voltage monitor for a 3D Mag-charger set-up, but I didn't see if you could do the NiMH volt monitor for either 5D or 6D setup?

Yes, the current draw will be a little less with a little more voltage...

And as the batteries drain, and voltage drops, there will be more current demand.

For a 5D NiMH build, there is a Spectrum voltage monitor made specifically for the NiMH's, and it works great with either the normal sized NiMH's in a 5D mag, or the Mag Charger (5 X 1/2D) battery pack in a 3D Mag host.

It is made for either a 4, or a 5 X NiMH cell configuration. There is a dip switch to select either set up. I have used it in both style builds.

There is going to be a huge difference in over all capacity for those two different scenario's though. Because the most I have seen in a Mag Charger battery pack, is 3500mAh's capacity... (maybe a couple of hours on high - which is still pretty good!)

Hi, I don't happen to have that particular light to compare, but there is a lot of buyer feedback in the second post of this thread...

Many of the buyers have done comparisons with other lights, and mention that in the feedback.

Take a look!
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post3899217

Just send me a private message for ordering!
    Last edited by jayrob; 11-22-2012 at 11:04 AM.

Hey Jayrob,

I just sent you (3) more M@gs to mod for me. You did such a GREAT job on the M@gcharger a couple of months ago that I decided to let you show some "new" light to these hosts. I'll be in touch, so keep up the good work!

iflyjts

Paypal Sent !

Quote Originally Posted by iflyjts View Post
    Hey Jayrob,

I just sent you (3) more M@gs to mod for me. You did such a GREAT job on the M@gcharger a couple of months ago that I decided to let you show some "new" light to these hosts. I'll be in touch, so keep up the good work!

iflyjts

Paypal Sent !
    Got your PayPal, thanks!

Glad you like the build, I'll make sure your new ones are perfect as well!

Talk to you soon!

Great looking product! I really like that voltage monitor you came up with.

Are able to build one of these with a 3x version of the Cree XM-L T6?

Quote Originally Posted by jedavet View Post
    Great looking product! I really like that voltage monitor you came up with.

Are able to build one of these with a 3x version of the Cree XM-L T6?
    I have not experimented yet with multiple emitters for this build...

Honestly, I was going for size vs run time, and so far, this set up is pretty much perfect!

Please read some of the buyer feedback listed here...
    Last edited by jayrob; 11-22-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Flashaholic*

Just got a package from Download, it includes magrings and mag bezels. The Magring fills the gap left by the Novae Cells perfectly and gives the light a finishing touch.

When my wife lets me, I will definitely be buying a stubby, or at least another 2xD setup... they are fantastic!
    mossyoak --> Dear God man, its your honeymoon, screw the flashlights, bring one or two and some backup batteries, and fill up all that extra room you have with condoms and alcohol.

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast