ArmyTek        
Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151619 ... LastLast

Thread: FS: 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 Maglite Mod With Voltage Monitor - Parts, or Complete Light!

Default Re: FS: 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 Maglite Mod With Voltage Monitor - Parts, or Complete Ligh

Quote Originally Posted by tolkaze View Post
    Just got a package from Download, it includes magrings and mag bezels. The Magring fills the gap left by the Novae Cells perfectly and gives the light a finishing touch.

When my wife lets me, I will definitely be buying a stubby, or at least another 2xD setup... they are fantastic!
    Thanks for posting back!

Very glad to know that you like the build, and just let me know when your ready to try the 'Stubby' version...

Default Re: FS: 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 Maglite Mod With Voltage Monitor - Parts, or Complete Ligh

PHENOMENAL!
    Everything was great, from dealing with you when I first was interested all the way to when I got the flashlight! I wanted an awesome/bright flashlight and found this on here, and after asking him SEVERAL questions about battery options, and then the lumens/run times for EVERY option on hi/med/lo I finally made the order. I went with the 3D Digital ACP Camo flashlight using 3 D's (accuEvolution LSD's running at 10,000 mah) so I have the max run times! I'm not the electrical, tech savvy guy so I had it fully done and completed by Jay. It looks raw and pretty tough in the camo print (i would def recommend this one the most), so when you fire it up on the high setting with Jay's customization . . . it just fits so well. Jay had a very QUICK turn around and worked with me a lot on a few things, personally I would have said to just shut up, tell me what you want, and it'll come when it comes! But he didn't lol
    Thought it was also worth mentioning that when I got the flashlight, it was actually back in its orginal wrapping and he had also sent all the extra pieces in a baggie, it was a nice touch b/c it makes it feel like you are unwrapping it for the first time.
    Overall the flashlight is GREAT, the videos don't do this thing justice until you take it out in the back woods to use it like I did. The job is very detailed and clean, you can't even tell that there is after market work done. If your on the fence about getting it, JUST BUY!
    If your trying to decide, TRUST ME it's worth the money. And working with him was a pleasure as well, easy going and quick on answering questions, over and over again lol.
    Thanks again for everything Jay, really appreciate what you did for me, and was SUPER glad I got to bring it hunting! (no deer though this time sadly)

Thanks for the great feedback...

I'm glad it got to you in time for your hunting trip. Outdoors, camping, etc... That's when a light like this really stands out!

Flashaholic*

I have a mag charger I picked up for a good price on the way and wondered what the price of you doing the mod on my light is? Also is it possible for you to put a warm white XML in it?

Best Regard,
    Eric
    My Lights: EDC; Surefire E2T-MV Tactician, ZLSC53, Preon
    Duty; Streamlight Stinger, Nitecore SRT, E2D-LED

Quote Originally Posted by Viper715 View Post
    I have a mag charger I picked up for a good price on the way and wondered what the price of you doing the mod on my light is? Also is it possible for you to put a warm white XML in it?

Best Regard,
    Eric
    Yes I have a Mag Charger mod using the XM-L T6 shown here:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?314512-FS-Mag-Charger-XM-L-T6-Modification-1000-Lumens

I would need you to send me the battery pack and charger as well so I can test everything and so forth...

The price, if you send the light to me, is $126 plus shipping. (send me a PM for my shipping address and payment)

About the emitter. Yes I can use a warm tint. Just have it sent to me, and the cost of the mod will be $10 dollars less. I just need it to be on a 14mm round board...

Talk to you soon!

Hey Jayrob,

Thanks for the speedy turnaround on the (3) M@glites I sent you for modding (1 x 6 "c" cell, 2 x 3 "d" cell), all running NiMh cells. As with the M@gCharger you did for me a few months ago, These lights look and work perfect!
    I especially like the 3 levels and the run times are right on the money as you publish. These were older collectable m@glites (NasCar, Camo, and a Black 6-cell "c") all new in box that I could not decide
    on what I wanted to do with. This modification is the way to go if any of you all have these lights laying around in their original icand state. Jayrob does GREAT work and keeps you informed all through
    the process. He even topped off my shipment with a "free" surprise gift !

Thanks again!!!

iflyjts

Quote Originally Posted by iflyjts View Post
    Hey Jayrob,

Thanks for the speedy turnaround on the (3) M@glites I sent you for modding (1 x 6 "c" cell, 2 x 3 "d" cell), all running NiMh cells. As with the M@gCharger you did for me a few months ago, These lights look and work perfect!
    I especially like the 3 levels and the run times are right on the money as you publish. These were older collectable m@glites (NasCar, Camo, and a Black 6-cell "c") all new in box that I could not decide
    on what I wanted to do with. This modification is the way to go if any of you all have these lights laying around in their original icand state. Jayrob does GREAT work and keeps you informed all through
    the process. He even topped off my shipment with a "free" surprise gift !

Thanks again!!!

iflyjts
    Your very welcome...

Thank you for your order! And the gift was the least I could do for your many light mods!

Very glad you like them, and thanks for posting back!

Just got some more great buyer feedback to share... (from over at LPF)

Quote Originally Posted by ColdStl
    My 3D size, 3 mode version arrived last week and instantly became my favorite patrol duty flashlight. It's almost as bright as the spotlights, which is why the medium and low modes are a must. Run time is excellent! I work the graveyard shift, four days a week, and didn't need to charge it until I got a day off. I've already dropped it a few times and it still works so I know it's plenty durable too. I have a Melles G aspherical lens I'm gonna try on it. If it works out, I'll post some pics.
    Thanks again Jay!
    Love to see good feedback!

P.S. The 3D build that I did for ColdStl, is using a 5 X 1/2 D NiMH pack. Same as is used for a Mag Charger or a Streamlight.

And here's the charger for it...

Bought this flashlight from Jay about a month ago, what can i say it´s just great

Unenlightened

Jayrob, This mod looks so awsome I've been looking for a way to get the most out of my maglite forever.On a scale from one to ten what to you think the difficulty of building this mod is if doing it from scratch ie: getting the emitter the driver from the company and the heat sink from you and putting it together.Your input would be appreciated!

Well, I guess that would depend on your building experience. If you are familiar with modding lights and so forth, then all you really need from me, is the heatsink. I have detailed pictures, as well as links to all of the parts in my thread for DIY...

I would say that the tricky part, is the voltage monitor. Which is optional. But that install is trickier than the rest of the build. I tried to price it reasonably. Considering the cost of parts, and the work involved.

I have lots of great buyer feedback listed in the second post of this thread!
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post3899217

Quote Originally Posted by khas View Post
    Bought this flashlight from Jay about a month ago, what can i say it´s just great
    Very glad to know that you are happy with your purchase...

Thanks for posting!
    Last edited by jayrob; 11-22-2012 at 11:06 AM.

I've ordered one of these bad boys, even with international shipping its still at least $20-100 cheaper than buying a standard magcharger localy.
    Great communication from Jayrob and looks like it'll be the ing of my modded mag collection :-)

Hey Jayrob,
    I have a bored-out 2C without reflector (I have some MagCharger and Mag C UCL lenses in house), but with switch assembly. I also have 26500 cells lying about. What is the appropriate turnkey solution for the parts I have?
    Wilkey

Quote Originally Posted by Ginseng View Post
    Hey Jayrob,
    I have a bored-out 2C without reflector (I have some MagCharger and Mag C UCL lenses in house), but with switch assembly. I also have 26500 cells lying about. What is the appropriate turnkey solution for the parts I have?
    Wilkey
    I believe the reflector size is the same as a D Mag. I have a couple of extra reflectors. So the 3 mode build will be nice with 2 X 26500's...

The only thing I don't like about the C Mag, is the switch. Possibly not in every case, but more than once, I have found that the C Mag switch will give a 'split second' off, as you are clicking it on. As you begin to depress the switch, it comes on, and as it clicks all the way down, it looses contact just for a split second before you release the button.

This will cause the driver to sometimes switch modes on you when you do not want it to switch modes.

The D Mag switch is much more heavy duty, and does not have this issue. The issue I described above (for the C Mag switch), does not matter with a single mode driver. But with this 3 mode driver, it can have an undesirable effect...

Quote Originally Posted by jayrob View Post
    I believe the reflector size is the same as a D Mag. I have a couple of extra reflectors. So the 3 mode build will be nice with 2 X 26500's...

The only thing I don't like about the C Mag, is the switch. Possibly not in every case, but more than once, I have found that the C Mag switch will give a 'split second' off, as you are clicking it on. As you begin to depress the switch, it comes on, and as it clicks all the way down, it looses contact just for a split second before you release the button.

This will cause the driver to sometimes switch modes on you when you do not want it to switch modes.

The D Mag switch is much more heavy duty, and does not have this issue. The issue I described above (for the C Mag switch), does not matter with a single mode driver. But with this 3 mode driver, it can have an undesirable effect...
    Ahh,
    Very interesting. Let's say single mode only then as my intention is for this to be a spotting light around the neighborhood. My 1,600 lumen VanIsle drop-in takes care of any business within about 50 feet. I'd want the XML-C as a compact spot. What's the max drive current you recommend? I would not expect it to run for more than a few minutes at a time. I've got a MagCharger85 and a 100-watt spotlight for tougher stuff.
    Wilkey

PS, do you have any emitters in the 5000K color range. This is the ideal color bin for my eyes.

Ahh,
    Very interesting. Let's say single mode only then as my intention is for this to be a spotting light around the neighborhood. My 1,600 lumen VanIsle drop-in takes care of any business within about 50 feet. I'd want the XML-C as a compact spot. What's the max drive current you recommend? I would not expect it to run for more than a few minutes at a time. I've got a MagCharger85 and a 100-watt spotlight for tougher stuff.
    Wilkey

PS, do you have any emitters in the 5000K color range. This is the ideal color bin for my eyes.
    So you probably want 3A or 3B then huh?

I do not have any emitters in that range, but you can have one sent to me if you want. I need it on a 14mm round board...

I recommend 3 Amps, but I do not know of a 3 Amp, single mode driver that is for 2 X Li-Ion's??

Do you know of a single mode driver that will put out near 3 Amps using 2 X Li-Ion's? I know of a stacked AMC 7135 driver, but that is for a single Li-Ion...

So you probably want 3A or 3B then huh?
    I do not have any emitters in that range, but you can have one sent to me if you want. I need it on a 14mm round board...
    I recommend 3 Amps, but I do not know of a 3 Amp, single mode driver that is for 2 X Li-Ion's??
    Do you know of a single mode driver that will put out near 3 Amps using 2 X Li-Ion's? I know of a stacked AMC 7135 driver, but that is for a single Li-Ion...
    3A to 3C. I suppose whatever Cutter might have. I'm afraid I'm of no help on the drivers. I am simply a user who relies on the expertise of the providers. Not having any electrical background, I wouldn't know where to start asking about such a driver. What about the 3.5A single mode regulated that Nailbender uses with his builds as a starting point. It won't handle 2xLIIons though. Perhaps what I want doesn't exist or can't be made at this time.

Wilkey

3A to 3C. I suppose whatever Cutter might have. I'm afraid I'm of no help on the drivers. I am simply a user who relies on the expertise of the providers. Not having any electrical background, I wouldn't know where to start asking about such a driver. What about the 3.5A single mode regulated that Nailbender uses with his builds as a starting point. It won't handle 2xLIIons though. Perhaps what I want doesn't exist or can't be made at this time.

Wilkey
    I'll search and see if I can find a single mode driver in that range...

My 2 Cell, 3 mode D Mag is a great build though...

Please take a few minutes to read some of the buyer feedback that I have listed here:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post3899217
    Last edited by jayrob; 11-22-2012 at 11:06 AM.

I search and see if I can find a single mode driver in that range...

My 2 Cell, 3 mode D Mag is a great build though...

Please take a few minutes to read some of the buyer feedback that I have listed here:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post3589203
    Absolutely. I know you do good work. I have small hands and just don't want another D. The MagCharger is my big D light and I would like a 2C for a different form factor. Thank you for looking. I realize that finding a good high-efficiency driver can be a challenge.

Wilkey

PS. Looks like Cutter has a T6 E3 5000K that looks fantastic: XMLAWT-00-0000-000LT60E3.
    PPS. I would rather have no light at all than a light that has unreliable switching modes due to whatever root cause. I hope you understand. While I have lights that overlap in performance, this one would fill a precise niche. Not a hole, but rather enhance a specific performance capability.

I found this driver:
    http://pcb-components.de/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden _flypage.tpl&product_id=95&category_id=6&option=co m_virtuemart&Itemid=64&vmcchk=1&Itemid=64

But I cannot read that language perfectly, so I'm not sure if it's a single mode driver...

I also believe the Shark Buck driver could possibly work, but that it an expensive driver.

I know you said you wanted to use your CMag, but the DMag is the same size head. The battery tube is the only thing larger. But you get a lot more capacity!

I found this driver:
    http://pcb-components.de/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden _flypage.tpl&product_id=95&category_id=6&option=co m_virtuemart&Itemid=64&vmcchk=1&Itemid=64

But I cannot read that language perfectly, so I'm not sure if it's a single mode driver...

I also believe the Shark Buck driver could possibly work, but that it an expensive driver.

I know you said you wanted to use your CMag, but the DMag is the same size head. The battery tube is the only thing larger. But you get a lot more capacity!
    I'll see if I can figure anything more out. Perhaps I can enlist the aid of one of the German flashaholics.Unless the costs are truly exhorbitant, I'm not too concerned. What does matter to me are stability of regulation and efficiency.

As for D-Mags, I think you're just going to have to trust me that I'm all set with respect to that form factor.

Wilkey

Jay,
    That looks like a single mode 2.8A step down converter. Nice, but I wonder about how much is given up by running at 2.8A as opposed to say 3.1A or 3.5A. The Shark Buck only runs at 3.0A so any difference, efficiency being equal, would be imperceptible. However, it looks like it could be run in parallel for higher current but I imagine the space inside the switch region would be tight in a 2C. It sounds like it could run up to a not-recommended 4A. Perhaps Wayne could fab a 3.5A version?

This light has a nice amount of heat sinking and it would be wonderful to take advantage of that capability. Any other ideas? I think it's a challenge but I'm also open to the idea that a solution does not yet exist. I do appreciate all your input.
    Wilkey

Jay,
    That looks like a single mode 2.8A step down converter. Nice, but I wonder about how much is given up by running at 2.8A as opposed to say 3.1A or 3.5A. The Shark Buck only runs at 3.0A so any difference, efficiency being equal, would be imperceptible. However, it looks like it could be run in parallel for higher current but I imagine the space inside the switch region would be tight in a 2C. It sounds like it could run up to a not-recommended 4A. Perhaps Wayne could fab a 3.5A version?

This light has a nice amount of heat sinking and it would be wonderful to take advantage of that capability. Any other ideas? I think it's a challenge but I'm also open to the idea that a solution does not yet exist. I do appreciate all your input.
    Wilkey
    I do know of, and have used another high quality buck driver which can be configured with a pot for adjusting the current, but it is very large, and also very expensive. I used it in my 9 Amp PT-54 builds, and recently for a custom build for a customer that wanted it to be adjustable. (I think it's too large for the CMag though) See here:
    9 Amp PT-54 Phlatlight Maglite Mod!

I got my 1000 Lumen Magcharger today and its well worth it.
    Blinding hotspot and a heap of flood!
    Thank you Jayrob for the awesome flashlight :-)

I do know of, and have used another high quality buck driver which can be configured with a pot for adjusting the current, but it is very large, and also very expensive. I used it in my 9 Amp PT-54 builds, and recently for a custom build for a customer that wanted it to be adjustable. (I think it's too large for the CMag though) See here:
    9 Amp PT-54 Phlatlight Maglite Mod!
    Jay,
    I think I'd like to go with the Shark Buck at 3A. Unfortunately, looks like the T6 E3 5000K XMLAWT-00-0000-000LT60E3 I wanted is out of stock. So unless I can buy one off of someone, the build is on hold for the time being.
    Wilkey

Jay,
    I think I'd like to go with the Shark Buck at 3A. Unfortunately, looks like the T6 E3 5000K XMLAWT-00-0000-000LT60E3 I wanted is out of stock. So unless I can buy one off of someone, the build is on hold for the time being.
    Wilkey
    How about this T5 emitter?
    http://illuminationsupply.com/cree-xml-14mm-round-mcpcb-t5-3c-5000k-tint-p-60.html?zenid=273cf0c9ec8e3d54370dc603a5dc0a09

5000K, and 1000 lumens at 3 Amps...

If we're going to do it, we're going to do it all the way is my philosophy. I'm in no hurry and the state of the art in daylight white XM-L is the T6 so T6 it shall be. I'll keep an eye on the LED vendor and when it comes in stock, I'll order it. Would you want me to order the Shark as well? Send you all the bits and pieces to work up?
    Wilkey

If we're going to do it, we're going to do it all the way is my philosophy. I'm in no hurry and the state of the art in daylight white XM-L is the T6 so T6 it shall be. I'll keep an eye on the LED vendor and when it comes in stock, I'll order it. Would you want me to order the Shark as well? Send you all the bits and pieces to work up?
    Wilkey
    Maybe that would be better...

Just make sure the emitter is on a 14mm round board, and that the driver is configured for 3 Amps. (I understand that the Shark Buck driver has to have two resistors for 3 Amps)

Here's an XM-L T4: (4000K to 4200K)
    http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut1076

I have not used the Shark Buck as of yet, but as long as it's O.D. is no larger that about 23mm, then I'm sure it will fit inside a CMag.

Maybe that would be better...

Just make sure the emitter is on a 14mm round board, and that the driver is configured for 3 Amps. (I understand that the Shark Buck driver has to have two resistors for 3 Amps)

Here's an XM-L T4: (4000K to 4200K)
    http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut1076

I have not used the Shark Buck as of yet, but as long as it's O.D. is no larger that about 23mm, then I'm sure it will fit inside a CMag.
    I have an inquiry into the Shark Buck dimensions. At $27, it's not prohibitive cost wise. The T6 is still out but I will order that when it comes back in stock.

Wilkey

I have an inquiry into the Shark Buck dimensions. At $27, it's not prohibitive cost wise. The T6 is still out but I will order that when it comes back in stock.

Wilkey
    Sure just let me know when your ready...

That T4 that I linked is in stock, and it is 4000K as you were looking for.

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151619 ... LastLast