Acebeam        
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Boring service for Surefire and other aluminum or titanium lights

Default Re: Boring service for Surefire® and other aluminum or titanium lights

Quote Originally Posted by precisionworks View Post
    I should have been more clear ... as long as you run AW3100's (or earlier) I'll be happy to bore your light. You'll have to try a few cells to find those that most easily fit the bore since the bore is very close to battery diameter. 3100's seem to be the cell of choice as they run smaller than 2900's & have a bit more capacity.
    Perfect, thank you very much. I'll be sending you a few bodies here in a few weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by SDmtnbkr View Post
    I'll be sending you a few bodies here in a few weeks!
    That sounds great, I appreciate your business.

The E & L are the only Surefires where choice of battery brand is important for function. Any bored full size SF (starting 3-1-2013) will take all currently available 18650's & hopefully nothing fatter will come to market ... if it does they'll have to call it 19650.

If I bored your light prior to 3-1-2013 it is too small for the 3400 cells but I'll be glad to enlarge the bore. If I bored the light please send it in with a $10 bill & it will be opened up to 18.90mm - the $10 includes return Priority shipping CONUS. On lights that were bored elsewhere the cost is $20 & that also includes return Priority shipping CONUS.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 10-21-2013 at 03:20 AM.
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights* Please text msg, phone or email through contact page at https://precisionelectrical.us/

Default Boring service for Surefire® and other aluminum or titanium lights

UPDATE

I receive quite a few requests for boring surefire weapon lights but knew that making a fixture would be difficult. Centering the light in the 4-jaw chuck was also a challenge. I spent most of today designing the fixture and building it and setting up the first light for boring. It came out nicely and I will post pictures a little later when my Internet comes back online.

Because the weapon light requires so much more set up time I have to charge extra to bore those. The cost is an additional $15 so instead of $42 for a regular light the weapon light is $57 + shipping.

Barry Milton
    Precision-Gunsmithing.com
    iPhone5 voice recognition
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights* Please text msg, phone or email through contact page at https://precisionelectrical.us/

Looking forward to seeing my bigger, badder death ray.

Here she is ...

Quote Originally Posted by mfrey View Post
    Looking forward to seeing my bigger, badder death ray.
    You get full credit for bringing this project to life. Other members have asked about WML boring but no one ever sent in a body and said "take your time & do this if you can". Even after running a number of samples in the fixture it was still tense when I finally bored your Mini Scout. I'm happy that it worked well & it's good to be able to offer this additional service.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 10-25-2013 at 07:25 PM.

quality work!
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

Hey Barry, Have you ever bored a Sunwayman v11r for 18mm cells? If so, how much does this cost? Also, do you make custom parts out of delrin at all?

Quote Originally Posted by yarney05 View Post
    ... have you ever bored a Sunwayman v11r for 18mm cells?
    I've bored the V10 aluminum model & it looks an awful lot like the V11R. If so the body can be bored for 17mm cells (leaving a thicker wall) or 18mm cells (leaving an E-series thickness wall). Cost is $32 + $6 return shipping CONUS. Boring the extender is $11 if you also want that.

... do you make custom parts out of delrin at all?
    I've made a couple of battery spacers but nothing else. What do you want to have made?
    Last edited by precisionworks; 10-25-2013 at 03:31 PM.

Wquiles used to make delrin switch retaining rings for the metal switch boot you get with the v11r. The reason for needing it is because the supplied metal retaining ring was gritty and screeched when the button was pressed.

I remember talking with Will about those, he'd figured out a process to produce them. You may want to start a thread in the Materials-Mechanical-Machining forum & see if someone there may want to make them. The part looks simple but it has to be held to close tolerance in order to work. Quite a number of talented machinists participate there:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ing-Discussion

Received my own P3X-B-BK yesterday & unscrewed the head (which took only firm hand pressure). Again the thick plastic spacer is included with this light but this time the spacer was lightly stuck against the back of the driver board:

The black washer-shaped object is a thick plastic spacer that just fits inside the end of the battery tube. Here's the measurement:

The spring attached to the board has a free (uncompressed) height of 2.7mm.
    The spacer thickness is 2.2mm.
    Only 0.5mm of spring projects above the spacer.

IMO the spacer serves three functions. First it protects the spring & board from excessive central pressure by limiting spring compression. If the cell were a flat top the spring would compress only 0.5mm but the CR123 is a button top & the button is 1.0mm higher than the body:

Total spring compression is the height of the button, 1.0mm, and more than 1/3 the free length of the 2.7mm spring. If you push on the rear most battery there is considerable pressure needed to fully move the battery stack all the way forward.

Second, the spacer contacts the outer rim of the CR123a battery & distributes battery pressure over a large contact surface on the board. The center of the board is no longer the main load bearing point & the load is distributed over a wide area. The result is better distribution of stress from the center to near the edge of the board.

Third is that the spacer moves the battery stack toward the tailcap spring by 1.2mm (the thickness of the spacer minus the projection of the battery button). This provides additional pressure so the rear most battery more firmly contacts the tailcap spring.

My plan for boring the P3X is to leave roughly 1.2mm as a forward battery stop (recoil shoulder). That way 18500/18650 will stop at the same place as CR123 plus the black spacer will still be useable when running CR123's instead of rechargeables.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The eagle eyed among you saw the 1-cell extension tube attached to the back of the light. It is Solarforce & it works as well as can be expected, considering that the cost is the same as a Happy Meal at McDonalds. External threads are nicely cut & very smooth, internal threads are rough & poorly sized on all three samples that I have.

Buy the Surefire A19 Adapter if you can find one.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 10-26-2013 at 02:35 PM.

Bored my personal P3X today & graphed primary power versus Li-Ion:

Virtually the same lux but longer runtime & lower cost with the Li-Ions. Shown below with one cell extender:

The tube is bored to position the button on the Li-Ion at exactly the same position as a primary cell:

Mr. Milton,

Based on your extensive work with the P2X Fury model I've noticed (heck, you modded my P2XD for me too!) and with the release of the P3X you have now, would you say you are still on-board the P2X train or did you change routes and board the P3X train? I guess what I'm asking is: does the P2X still have its place or does the P3X completely supplant its 2-cell predecessor?

I do realize the P2X is shorter and possibly more pocketable than its P3X brother though. That being said, in handling the P3X, do you think it's better, just as good, or not as good ergonomically compared to the P2X?

Thanks for your time. Have you attempted the grip ring mod on the P3X like you did for my P2X?

-tobrien
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

This is what I'm hearing from the LEO & MIL sector & may or may not be representative of how well a light performs for anyone else.

Neither the 2 or 3 was designed for WML (weapon mount lighting) but 2's started going on long guns only days after they hit the market. LEO & MIL users run a high percentage of Surefire & smaller percentages of Streamlight & other severe duty lights - until the 500 lumen Fury the de facto standard was 200 lumens & most users were blown away with 500. The 2 has a well shaped beam pattern with a nice balance of throw & spill that performs well in search & identification use.

Initially there was some doubt if the 3 could outdo the 2. A number of elite training organizations started using the 3 on a tentative basis, not quite ready to let go of the 2. In reading many AAR's (after action reports) from these training sessions the consensus is that the 3 has more reach or penetration when trying to see into a hard to illuminate corner or when searching in warehouse whose primary colors are brown, black & dirty. Students who went through a course with the 2 state that the students running a 3 had the advantage.

Like most of you I'm a civilian who wants the best light I can get. Both the 2 & the 3 have their place.

The 2 is short & handy - attach a Dark Sucks titanium clip & it will fit into many pockets. Light output is adequate for most situations. Drop it in a vest pocket for trail hiking & you know that when it gets really dark you have a dependable light source to get home. The short barrel doesn't fit everyone's hand & that's the major complaint for many users ... others are OK with it.

The 3 adds 35mm length & gives the light a totally different feel - I have yet to read where any professional user dislikes the longer body. The output is significantly brighter when used in burst or strobe mode - click the light on (or cycle it from low to high), scan/identify/click off & move. That's exactly how mine is used during predawn dog walks ... when my Siberian alerts the light goes to high & we look for company - if it's a skunk that's 20' away (which happened yesterday morning) we make tracks fast. If it's a herd of deer we watch until they get spooked. The light runs a lot on low & for a minute or two at a time on high.

If you're looking for your lost dog & have to search for hours it's a toss up. There will always be advocates for both the two & the three. I like the 3 better because the ergonomics are better for me & the beam reach exceeds the 2. Other users will prefer the smaller size of the 2 & feel that the 3 costs too much for what it delivers.

Have you attempted the grip ring mod on the P3X ...
    Just this week in fact & some images are posted in the Mechanical Modding thread that I'll repost here.

The 3 still has the same slick feeling body as the 2. It isn't easy to hang onto with wet or bloody hands (like you might get when cleaning a game animal). O-rings help a lot & I've also started experimenting with fabric heat shrink tubing:

Also starting work on a combat ring but it only fits if using an extender. Still refining the shape but even the first attempt makes a cigar grip easy to do.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

One of my customers is a LEO in Florida & over the course of six months had me bore his P2X, P3X & then sent a 6PX Pro ... which I didn't understand. He explained that the P3X is his primary & the 6PX Pro is his admin light, useable close up where the P3X provides too much light. He also mentioned that Surefire states runtime on the 6PX Pro is twice that of the P3X & it still puts out 350 lumens. Seems reasonable to me.

Took a look at the emitter on the Pro but didn't take any photos. It isn't an XM-L, that's for certain, & perhaps someone here knows what it is.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 11-03-2013 at 05:51 AM.

Hi Barry, was looking at getting a C2 body bored and was after your address to post it to (unless you already have one). Where can I find your address. Thanks.

Please ship to:
    601 1st Street
    Benton IL 62812

I should probably have that on every web page shouldn't I?

Barry Milton

Thanks Barry.

Thanks Barry, surefire C2 body on its way.
    Now for payment, how much willl it be including postage, except PayPal?

Please ship to:
    601 1st Street
    Benton IL 62812

I should probably have that on every web page shouldn't I?

Barry Milton

$42+$6 shipping. I'll notify you as soon as your light is done and you can pay pal at that time.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

Great, thanks!

$42+$6 shipping. I'll notify you as soon as your light is done and you can pay pal at that time.

Hi Barry, I'm about to send in a Fury body from The Netherlands. I assume there is an extra cost for Intl. shipping.
    Can you tell me how much extra that would be?

Thanks,
    Roger Beep

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Beep View Post
    ... from The Netherlands. I assume there is an extra cost for Intl. shipping ...
    Roger,

The United States Postal Service currently charges $24 for Priority International (box size 9-1/4" x 6-1/4" x 2"). They state 6-10 days & price includes delivery confirmation.

Your cost will be $42* + $24 = $66 USD total

*Every recent X-Series light has required boring with the head attached & cost is 50% more than shown above.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 06-11-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Barry, do you also have the plastic tubes to convert it back to 16340's?
    also, I might have a second one your way.

I'd be glad to make that for you but need the 16340 cell to verify fit. Cost is $10 for one spacer tube or $15 for two with the same dimensions.

Barry Milton

Second one on the way Barry
    though with the spacer tube, is there no standard size for CR/RCR123 cell's? I guess I could measure the internal diameter of the battery compartment of one of my CR/RCR123 cell flashlights? Would that help?

yes, that would be for two.

I'd be glad to make that for you but need the 16340 cell to verify fit. Cost is $10 for one spacer tube or $15 for two with the same dimensions.

Barry Milton
    Last edited by Lomandor; 11-09-2013 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lomandor View Post
    ... is there no standard size for CR/RCR123 cell's?

The standard calls out 16.0mm-17.0mm & most cells meet that standard. 17mm (.670") is the usual inside diameter of any SF light & using 17mm will work ... unless you run into fatter cells. The best way to be certain is to send along a few of the cells you plan to use so I can check for fit.

Thanks for that clear image and explanation. The items are actually being sent from a different location (not from me directly) there for I'm unable to send a cell with it. How ever the smallest diameter of all my lights for 123's was slightly under 17.0mm and all my 123's seem to fit. I think it would be fare to say, sticking to the standard of 17.0mm for the spacer tube should be a safe bet. In time, if I ever end up with larger CR/RCR123 cells that are more than 17.0mm and don't fit in the spacer tube, they should comfortably fit in the battery compartment with out the assistance of the spacer tube.

Also, I am assuming the diameter of the finished bored flashlight body should accommodate the latest 18650 cell's?

The standard calls out 16.0mm-17.0mm & most cells meet that standard. 17mm (.670") is the usual inside diameter of any SF light & using 17mm will work ... unless you run into fatter cells. The best way to be certain is to send along a few of the cells you plan to use so I can check for fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lomandor View Post
    ... the diameter of the finished bored flashlight body should accommodate the latest 18650 cell's?
    AFAIK the final sizing of 18.90 mm will accept everything currently available. Until the 3400 cells came out the size was 18.75 mm but that's too small for Panasonic 3400's. I've not measured to tried any AW3400 cells for size but customer feedback indicates that they fit well.

Need a bit of help on a C2-HA mystery light, shipped from Texas & then goes to Australia. No email address with the light so I await further instructions. After 30 days it goes up for auction

Info in this post is for reference purposes only. Shipping policy is found in post #1 & that same info is repeated in post #183 below.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

Some international customers are asking me to ship their lights to a freight consolidator because they feel it will save money. My limited experience with these shippers is not good ... one managed to crush the tail end of a bored body enough that a battery would not go into the tube. No will has ever accused the United States Postal Service of being gentle with packages & yet they've delivered 100% of my domestic & international packages without issue.

If someone asks me to pack their light or lights & send them to a consolidator I'll be happy to do that. The cost is $13 & the lights will be packed as well as possible in a Medium Flat Rate Carton (13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8"). That is the smallest carton I feel comfortable using when the lights will be jam packed in a shipping container with goodness knows what else.

IMHO a better choice is Priority Mail Intl costing $24 & using a flat rate carton with adequate room for padding (9-1/4" x 6-1/4" x 2"). It costs little more when compared to $13 + the consolidator's charge.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 11-17-2013 at 05:21 AM.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast