ArmyTek        
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Boring service for Surefire and other aluminum or titanium lights

Default Re: Boring service for Surefire® and other aluminum or titanium lights

Quote Originally Posted by precisionworks View Post
    Need a bit of help on a C2-HA mystery light, shipped from Texas & then goes to Australia. No email address with the light so I await further instructions. After 30 days it goes up for auction

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk
    I am guessing that would be me, I have one C2 body that I bought in the US, shipped to you for boring + the cr123 battery tube extender, then shipped to Vinh Nguyen for mod and assembly, and then a C2-HA from another seller that I have had shipped to you for the same treatment.

Some international customers are asking me to ship their lights to a freight consolidator because they feel it will save money. My limited experience with these shippers is not good ... one managed to crush the tail end of a bored body enough that a battery would not go into the tube. No will has ever accused the United States Postal Service of being gentle with packages & yet they've delivered 100% of my domestic & international packages without issue.

If someone asks me to pack their light or lights & send them to a consolidator I'll be happy to do that. The cost is $13 & the lights will be packed as well as possible in a Medium Flat Rate Carton (13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8"). That is the smallest carton I feel comfortable using when the lights will be jam packed in a shipping container with goodness knows what else.

IMHO a better choice is Priority Mail Intl costing $24 & using a flat rate carton with adequate room for padding (9-1/4" x 6-1/4" x 2"). It costs little more when compared to $13 + the consolidator's charge.
    That would also be me. It is unfortunate that your "limited" experience with freight consolidators in the past have been less than satisfactory. Although such incidents (damage, loss, delays ect) don't happen frequently, they are not limited to freight consolidator company.

The company that handles the parcels is run by and uses DHL and FEDexpress, which I believe to be one of the better freight companys in the business with more guarantee of delivery. As soon as a parcel arrives at there holding house, I am notified instantly. It is the only postal system that I know of that has complete tracking off parcels from the moment they receive the goods until the moment I sign and receive, which is not available through USPS to Australia post. Anyhow, if such item is damaged on its journey though a freight company, it is no longer your responsibility and there for you are not liable for any damage, that would be their duty of care and responsibility.

I myself have used them on many occasions without any mishaps and have only had good experiences. I purchase many items from overseas regularly that are not available in my country. It might not sound like much of a saving to you, but if I had 10 different items shipped to me at $24US, that would be over $250AU just in shipping. Not only does using a consolidating shipping company save me a hell of a lot of money with more security of delivery, in many instances, there is NO other option, many US sellers (which are not limited to amazon, eBay and the CPFmarketplace) do not and will not post over seas. I have had a variety of items sent, from electronics, portable batery chargers, food containers to HDS clickys damage free, and when doing multiple orders, find this service cheaper, more reliable and the quickest form of delivery.

I recently bought an item on amazon through this service for they do not post this item overseas, which is a no brainer for me to extend their service with the C2 mentioned for an extra $4AU. If your current packaging is and has been more than suitable for posting in the US, there is no reason why it should not be good enough to post overseas. If you think it's fair to charge me more for using this service than do what you need, but it is unfortunate that you feel the need to charge me more for your bitterness with another entity.

Quote Originally Posted by Lomandor View Post
    If you think it's fair to charge me more for using this service than do what you need, but it is unfortunate that you feel the need to charge me more for your bitterness with another entity.
    No bitterness intended as this is something I've been thinking about for some time. This info has been added to post #1 in this thread & in the Mechanical Modding thread:

Domestic shipping choices are USPS (primarily by Priority Mail), Federal Express & United Parcel Service. Insurance is recommended.

International shipping choices are USPS, Federal Express & United Parcel Service. Insurance is recommended especially on international shipments.

USPS domestic & international rate & service calculator: http://ircalc.usps.gov/

FEDEX rate calculator: https://www.fedex.com/ratefinder/home

UPS shipping to the United States: http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shi...?WT.svl=SubNav

UPS international shipping: http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shi...?WT.svl=SubNav

These are the only shipping options offered. If none of these services is satisfactory please don't send your light for machine work.

I have one C2 body that I bought in the US, shipped to you for boring + the cr123 battery tube extender, then shipped to Vinh Nguyen for mod and assembly, and then a C2-HA from another seller that I have had shipped to you for the same treatment.
    Good to find the owner. If you don't mind, please email exactly what you want done & the address of where the lights go after the machine work is finished. If you'll click the last word in my sig line it takes you to my website & an email link.

Since your light is already in my shop & because we never discussed shipping options I'll ship per your request.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 11-16-2013 at 10:55 AM.
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights* Please text msg, phone or email through contact page at https://precisionelectrical.us/

I see you have edited your last post in regards to excepting my chosen postal destination since it was first posted, it seems to be playing on your mind.

I feel you have taken this as a personal attack on your charge and chosen postage method, which is not the case and far from the truth. You offer great metal work service for a price which we, your customers are happy to meet. Though I myself like many do not have the luxury off unlimited money, so it is natural for me where possible to use a postage service facility which I have found safe and reliable for a cheaper price which in my case is Comgateway, this seem logical to me. Although they are partners of DHL and FedEx, unlike using them directly and using their shipping calculator you have linked above, it cost me less less than $4US for most of my extra parcels, with full tracking from them receiving to final destination of shipping. As mentioned, your service is appreciated truly. Though I struggle to understand why you object to me using a postal service that works out to be beneficial and suits my needs.

More so, why you begrudgingly choose to use a method of shipping that is quicker, cheaper and imposes less responsibility for you baffles me.

Either way, you have listed two options for postage, one for domestic and one for international. I am doing nothing more than simply choosing your domestic shipping option and I have provided you with my US postal address. Just as any other US address, all that should matter to you is that it safely arrives at this address and it's off your hands and is no longer your responsibility. Any duty of care from there on will be the responsibility of the receiver.

EDIT: I have noticed you moved and added the part where you will "except my chosen postal destination" to the bottom of your post. Thank you.

No bitterness intended as this is something I've been thinking about for some time. This info has been added to post #1 in this thread & in the Mechanical Modding thread:

Domestic shipping choices are USPS (primarily by Priority Mail), Federal Express & United Parcel Service. Insurance is recommended.

International shipping choices are USPS, Federal Express & United Parcel Service. Insurance is recommended especially on international shipments.

USPS domestic & international rate & service calculator: http://ircalc.usps.gov/

FEDEX rate calculator: https://www.fedex.com/ratefinder/home

UPS shipping to the United States: http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shi...?WT.svl=SubNav

UPS international shipping: http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shi...?WT.svl=SubNav

These are the only shipping options offered. If none of these services is satisfactory please don't send your light for machine work.

Good to find the owner. If you don't mind, please email exactly what you want done & the address of where the lights go after the machine work is finished. If you'll click the last word in my sig line it takes you to my website & an email link.

Since your light is already in my shop & because we never discussed shipping options I'll ship per your request.
    Last edited by Lomandor; 11-17-2013 at 09:48 PM.

Great.

If you don't mind, please email exactly what you want done & the address to where the lights go after the machine work is finished. If you'll click the last word in my sig line it takes you to my website & an email link.

No machining is done to any light until an email is received that states the desired work, agreed upon price, method of payment, etc.
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights* Please text msg, phone or email through contact page at https://precisionelectrical.us/

The Surefire Fury P2X and P3X are the most popular lights for boring at this time. Info below is from post #1 in this thread & repeated here for those who may have missed it:

Note #2: The newer X-Series from Surefire have thread locker sealant (glue) at the body to head joint. Some heads will unscrew & others will not no matter what. Using excessive torque/heat/etc. will destroy the light. I can bore the X-Series lights with head attached but it is much more complex & time consuming & cost is double that of a normal (head removed) boring job.
    The earliest X-Series lights were bonded together so well that many could not be taken apart. That changed around mid-year & heads would unscrew with only hand applied force. This changed again in mid-November. If you cannot budge the head this is not the time nor place for heat or large tools. All recent X-Series lights have heads that cannot be removed. Please don't send your light in the hopes that there's something magic I can do.

... do you also have the plastic tubes to convert it (a bored light) back to 16340's?

Material is black Delrin (acetyl). Pricing is:

$10 each or $15 for two to fit a 2-cell light

$15 each or $25 for two to fit a 3-cell light

These are machined from solid round stock & will fit any light that has the .744" inside diameter currently used. I can also make them to fit the earlier .738" ID so please let me know if you need that size. Surefire CR123a cells are used to test fitment & the batteries are a snug fit in the spacer. Battery alignment will be as good as it was before the light was bored, maybe better, & the CR123's will not rattle.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 12-13-2013 at 04:51 AM.

^ i like that delrin spacer. i'll have to pick one or two up when I send my next batch to you
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

Default Boring service for Surefire® and other aluminum or titanium lights

Thanks!

I have an inexpensive light that came with an extruded spacer that will crack if you look at it sideways. The Delrin spacer is pretty stout.

Barry Milton
    Precision-Gunsmithing.com
    iPhone5 voice recognition

Barry, do you bore Surefire A19 extenders to the same width as the other 2-cell bodies (C2, Z2, 6P, etc.)?

I received with a Z2 a nice SF A19 extender that makes the Z2 (and other 2 cell bodies) into three cell bodies. Is there a price for single cell extenders?

Thanks man!

Once next semester comes I think I'll try and get all my lights that are stock diameter bored en masse by you: M2, C2, Z2, 6P, and this A19 (and hopefully an M3 beater if i can find one in January).

thank you for your time
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.

Quote Originally Posted by tobrien View Post
    Is there a price for single cell extenders?
    Glad you asked about those as some will need boring from time to time.

A19 extender bored with any 2-cell or 3-cell Surefire is $10. If you already have a light I've bored please send that light + A19 & cost remains $10.

A19 bored without light is $20.

Glad you asked about those as some will need boring from time to time.

A19 extender bored with any 2-cell or 3-cell Surefire is $10. If you already have a light I've bored please send that light + A19 & cost remains $10.

A19 bored without light is $20.
    oh heck yea! ten bucks is an absolute steal for that work (with a light). thanks Barry! there's no way I can say no haha

Are you able to bore out a Zebralight H600Fw Mk II. It is already 18650, but it won't fit my orbtronic cells (just slightly too small).

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by STiFTW View Post
    Are you able to bore out a Zebralight H600Fw Mk II.
    If the head will come off, yes, but it looks like unit construction.

... ten bucks is an absolute steal for that work ...
    Thanks TObrien. If you remember back when that was a stock item it sold for $20. Doesn't seem reasonable to charge a ton of money for enlarging that part.

If the head will come off, yes, but it looks like unit construction.
    I tinkered with it a bit and it seems to be unit construction but I'll wait for someone more knowledgable to answer definitively.

Is there anything that could be done? It seems it is only the first inch or two that is restricting, may not need the entire thing bored out. I might be willing to sacrifice one to find out.

Either that or I am going to end up hacking it up with a dremel and probably make a hash of it.

Quote Originally Posted by STiFTW View Post
    It seems it is only the first inch or two that is restricting, may not need the entire thing bored out.
    If it's just an inch or two you may be able to wrap sandpaper around a wooden dowel & enlarge it ... youtube says it can be done & I never question youtube but I've not tried that.

Most lights are difficult to work on with the head attached & I'm currently building specialty tooling to bore the Surefire PX lights without removing the head. It isn't a slam dunk to enlarge the bore when the aluminum shavings have no place to go but it looks like the tooling may work on the PX lights - a few have come in lately with heads that will not budge.

Flashaholic

if you figure out how to get the head off a zebralight I may consider tossing some biz your way. I hear you do good work.

Quote Originally Posted by stevieo View Post
    if you figure out how to get the head off a zebralight ...
    Wild guess is that the body is machined like any traditional light with the head end left oversize. Reflector/LE housing is machined in at 90° to bore axis & installed, switch is installed last. I really don't want to experiment with any unknown light but you might want to look at the switch housing to see if the boot removes or the switch retainer unscrews - the switch & the LE look like they might be mechanically joined.

Someone somewhere has taken one of these apart.

Flashaholic

Barry, sounds right. I don't see how to get the switch cover off & the switch does not appear removable from the outside. so much for that idea.

PLEASE NOTE:

Early X-Series lights (6PX/G2X/P2X/P3X/etc.) had permanently glued on heads. Most lights during 2013 have heads that unscrew with firm hand pressure. Once again P2X & P3X lights have permanently glued on heads

For some time I was unable to a bore light with attached head but tooling is now in place that allows doing just that. Cost is 3X higher than normal so let me explain why ... A new solid carbide bar had to be factory modified to clear the spring in the head. A new carbide tipped reamer had to be purchased & shop modified to clear the spring.

Since there's no where for the chips to escape they pack the space ahead of the tool & the depth of bore & depth of ream is limited. The best procedure is:

Bore 1.00", withdraw tool, clear chips (compressed air and pick), reset tool
    Bore 1.00" more & repeat above
    Bore .750" more & repeat above
    Bore .500" more & repeat above
    Bore .250" more & repeat above
    Bore .100" more & repeat above
    Bore .050" more & repeat above
    Bore .025" more to finish boring to depth

Repeat all nine steps above with reamer

Hone dry with ball hones

Clean & inspect

Time to run through 9 boring steps + 9 reaming steps + final finishing is more than triple the time for normal head off boring. The boring bar & reamer are run as close as I dare to allow full battery seating against the spring:

Last edited by precisionworks; 01-24-2017 at 12:48 PM.

PLEASE NOTE:

Early PX series lights (6PX/G2X/P2X/P3X/etc.) had permanently glued on heads. Most lights during 2013 have heads that unscrew with firm hand pressure. The most recent P2X & P3X lights once again have permanently glued on heads.

For some time I was unable to a bore lights with attached head but tooling is now in place that allows boring with head in place. Cost is 100% more so let me explain why ...

A new solid carbide bar had to be factory modified to clear the spring in the head. A new carbide tipped reamer had to be purchased & shop modified to clear the spring.

Since there's no where for the chips to escape the depth of bore & depth of ream is limited. The best procedure is:

Bore 1.00", withdraw tool, clear chips (compressed air and pick), reset tool
    Bore 1.00" more & repeat above
    Bore .500" more & repeat above
    Bore .250" more & repeat above
    Bore .100" more & repeat above
    Bore .050" more & repeat above
    Bore .025" more to finish boring to depth

Repeat all nine steps above with reamer

Hone dry with ball hones

Clean & inspect

Time to run through 9 boring steps + 9 reaming steps + final finishing is double (plus a bit more) the time for normal head off boring.
    nice stuff! very clever workmanship
    Last edited by precisionworks; 07-31-2015 at 08:19 AM.

Thanks again TObrien.

EDITED because I posted incorrect info ...

P3X on left is my personal Fury, light on right is customer owned. Couldn't figure out why the tailcap wouldn't screw down & function until taking measurements showing the extender on the right is 0.140" short of necessary length. At first I blamed that on Solarforce but (eventually) remembered that I'd added a turned aluminum "combat ring" between the body & the extender on my light.

If you plan to run 2x18650 some type of spacer is mandatory as the tailcap will not screw down enough to make electrical contact, at least when using a pair of button top Panasonic 3400's. Flat top cells run shorter & may or may not work without the spacer.

2x18500 may present the same issue but I have no 18500's to test. The easy way to tell is to stack together 3xCR123a & 2x18500 (or 4xCR123a & 2x18650) of the exact brand & type you plan to run. If the stack length of the rechargeable cells exceeds that of 3xCR123a you'll probably need a spacer.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 11-23-2013 at 03:20 AM.

Just finished boring a V10R Ti+ and extender for 18mm.

Final boring pass, feeding bar out of the body to eliminate boring bar deflection.

McGizmo SunDrop on low speed, V10R is supported by SF Fury tail cap.

V10R is resting on diffused SunDrop light source.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 12-02-2013 at 03:53 AM.

Flashaholic*

Hey Barry, is it possible to put to V10R extenders together with a body, all bored for 18mm and thus use the light with an 18650 cell?

Thanks,
    eala

Quote Originally Posted by eala View Post
    ... is it possible to put to V10R extenders together ... and thus use the light with an 18650 cell?
    That's an interesting idea.

Mechanically, yes it can be done. The extender is a beast to bore out as it's sized for the small AA battery - many more boring passes are required for the extender than for the CR123 sized body.

The part I'm unsure about is the length. It looks like it would be close to correct for the longer cell. Also please remember that the V10R uses O-ring sizing similar to the SF E-series so you'll need to pick & choose cells that will work on this smaller than normal bore size - 3400's are a definite no but 3100/2900/etc. will be fine as long as you select those that run on the skinny side.

I'm putting together my list of stuff to send you next month Barry. Things could get dangerous for the wallet

I have two new questions:

1. in the OP where it says "Spacer to fit CR123 cells," that refers to the Delrin sleeves right?

2. do you have the ability to make dummy cells that'll fit the bore diameters you do? I'm pretty sure I'll be sending you my M3 for the 18mm treatment but, on the other hand, I'm looking to run an 18650 in it so if you have the ability to make a single cell dummy space at your bore width that'd be awesome (I doubt, for example, the commonplace dummy CR123 cells sold online would work well in an 18mm tube).

Thanks man!

That's correct regarding the spacer - probably should name that a battery sleeve spacer.

I've made a few dummy cells using OFC copper rod inside a Delrin rod. Cost is $15 so you may want to purchase a less costly 17mm dummy & add a few wraps of electrical tape for good fit.

Flashaholic

Barry,

I sure as hell wish I knew what you were talking about re: spacer for solarforce extender.

I don't know what you did to my P3X but it is freaking awesome. Works fine with 2x AW protected 18500's.

What is even far more awesome is that it works flawlessly with the solarforce extender, SF clicky tailcap & 2x Orbtronic button top protected Panasoncic NCR18650B's.

I can't believe what an incredible job you did with this thing & I am absolutely loving the body form factor with the solarforce extender.

Holy crap batman!! You out did yourself this time.

That's correct regarding the spacer - probably should name that a battery sleeve spacer.

I've made a few dummy cells using OFC copper rod inside a Delrin rod. Cost is $15 so you may want to purchase a less costly 17mm dummy & add a few wraps of electrical tape for good fit.

gotcha, thanks!

$15 honestly isn't bad at all IMO. I'll probably take you up on that. The thing is, I'm thinking that wrapping a dummy cell with electrical tape would probably get sticky residue in my M3 over time and won't look too top-notch if I do it haha. Plus, I'm unsure how much current those dummy cells may be made to handle or can handle, so copper would be more ideal I'm guessing.

is oxygen free copper not gonna tarnish or develop a patina that might inhibit electrical flow?

Quote Originally Posted by tobrien View Post
    is oxygen free copper not gonna tarnish or develop a patina that might inhibit electrical flow?
    I'll quote McMaster on this:

Ultra-Conductive Copper (Alloy 101)

Also known as oxygen-free high-conductivity (OFHC) or oxygen-free electronic (OFE) copper, this ultra-pure (99.99%) copper is good for high-temperature applications such as terminal lugs and wire connectors.
    The diff between OFHC & other copper alloys is probably insignificant in this application. I only use it because it's the best copper available for conductivity. It will tarnish & develop a patina so you may want to touch it on occasion with polishing paste.

Holy crap batman!! You out did yourself this time.
    Thank you for your kind words. Happy to hear that your Fury worked with the 1-cell extender & without using a spacer. Some 18650's are longer than others & a spacer may be required for the Fury to run 2x18650 ... or it may work fine without it, as yours did.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

PLEASE NOTE:

Every recent production Fury P3X has arrived with the head permanently glued to the body. If you cannot remove the head before sending your light please add 50% to the cost for boring - with the head on it's $78, with the head off it's $52.

Last edited by precisionworks; 06-11-2014 at 10:46 AM.

Just a note to let everyone know that a large order came in & I'll be working on those lights through the end of this year, possibly a bit longer as industrial repairs have (surprisingly) picked up as has gun work. You may still go ahead & send your lights in so they can be first in line after this job is completed.

Just a note to let everyone know that a large order came in & I'll be working on those lights through the end of this year, possibly a bit longer as industrial repairs have (surprisingly) picked up as has gun work. You may still go ahead & send your lights in so they can be first in line after this job is completed.
    I'll be sending a few your way in January or February regardless of wait times

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast