Wuben        
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Boring service for Surefire and other aluminum or titanium lights

Default Re: Boring service for Surefire® and other aluminum or titanium lights

This image is my personal light. Finally got it completed with all the mods & parts:

Started with a P3X-B-BK Fury two stage (15 & 1000 lumens)

Bored the body & added a 1-cell extender to run 2X18650 (Panasonic protected 3400 mAh)

Wrapped the body in heat shrink fabric. Grip is much better & the light is much nicer to hold in cold weather.

Installed SF black lanyard ring between extender & tailcap.

Installed SF SW02 tailcap. Been looking for the SW02 for some time, finally found this one on The Marketplace. Rubber shroud prevents accidental activation & allows the light to tail stand.
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights* Please text msg, phone or email through contact page at https://precisionelectrical.us/

Quote Originally Posted by precisionworks View Post
    This image is my personal light. Finally got it completed with all the mods & parts:

Started with a P3X-B-BK Fury two stage (15 & 1000 lumens)

Bored the body & added a 1-cell extender to run 2X18650 (Panasonic protected 3400 mAh)

Wrapped the body in heat shrink fabric. Grip is much better & the light is much nicer to hold in cold weather.

Installed SF black lanyard ring between extender & tailcap.

Installed SF SW02 tailcap. Been looking for the SW02 for some time, finally found this one on The Marketplace. Rubber shroud prevents accidental activation & allows the light to tail stand.
    the Surefire Lego thread needs more stuff like this

nice build!
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

Just a head's up ...

I haven't been in the shop since 12-28-2013, the day I came down with Piriformis Syndrome. The time right after Christmas & before New Year's Day is the worst possible for seeing a doctor or physical therapist as many are out of town for the holidays. Finally started PT today and will go twice or three times each week until this resolves.

The problem is that I cannot stand or sit for more than 15 minutes at a time. Pain level is excruciating but Oxycodone 10mg + muscle relaxant + anti inflammatory takes the edge off ... doesn't take the pain away but at least dulls it. My therapist hopes to see gradual improvement with stretching & strengthening exercises plus whatever magic he can work.

Hoping to get into the shop next week before I drive my wife nuts
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights* Please text msg, phone or email through contact page at https://precisionelectrical.us/

Default Boring service for Surefire® and other aluminum or titanium lights

Hate to hear about that. Hope the therapy helps and you get well soon.

Thanks Jim & thanks also to members who've emailed about this. Last night was the first time I've been able to sleep without the pain med, took only the anti inflammatory + muscle relaxant + 1gm Tylenol. Took that again about an hour ago & will try to get in some shop time today. Mornings are the best time of the day right now, the discomfort really notches up in the afternoon.

I'll update when there's more improvement.

I'm hoping you get to feeling better, man. Don't overstress yourself and we'll see you back when we see you

-Tucker
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.

Hope you get well soon Barry!

Thank you to everyone who's posted or emailed about my situation. Here's an update ...

Physical therapy (PT) has been 2X per week for almost one month & improvement is way too slow for me. My therapist did a re-eval yesterday & changed the schedule to 3X per week for the next month with all treatments in the hot pool (91° F / 33° C). More exercises to do, primarily to build core strength & increase range of motion, done 3X daily.

Pain level is finally somewhat less, especially from wake up until around 1200 or 1300. The routine that works is stand for no more than 30 minutes, sit for at least 10 minutes, repeat. Then eat lunch/take pain med/lay down for 1-2 hours, exercises, light work (meaning almost no work) for the rest of the day. Pain usually spikes around 1800-1900 just like clockwork, take another pain med, exercises, etc.

I did get 12 hours of machining done this week, half of that flashlights & the other half industrial rush jobs. The meds make it a challenge to rush anything but so far so good.

Thanks to everyone for your patience while your lights are being machined.

Barry, glad to hear things are getting better even though you are disappointed with the slow pace of improvement. I know as I have gotten older, things just take longer to return to normal when the body experiences a problem. I have always struggled with following medical advice but the "experts" usually do know a little more about these things than I do.

Do take care of yourself and let your body dictate what you can and cannot do. I know you are aware of this but it's particularly crucial when working around shop equipment.

likewise, I'm glad to see that too!

humor attempt: if the docs tell you that you need a metal replacement part in you, you can probably save more than a few grand machining it yourself with your experience

Spoke with my primary care doc yesterday & he referred me to a neurologist for further evaluation. Piriformis Syndrome responds well to stretching, strengthening, physical therapy, etc., so he thinks there's some issue with the lumbar spine. Prescribed Neurontin® (gabapentin) which should start reducing the pain in 7 days & then further reductions during the 2nd, 3rd & 4th weeks. Side effects are a real trip, brings back memories of Woodstock & college parties Hopefully I can reduce or eliminate the pain meds in a week or two & that should translate to more time in the shop.

Note: MRI scheduled this week & neuro appointment the end of next week.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 02-04-2014 at 03:17 AM.

Barry it's good to hear from you. I hope the new treatment begins showing positive results soon.

In the meantime, take your time and enjoy those flashback memories. Hopefully you can relive the enjoyable parts without the side effects of the real experience!

Had the MRI scans done yesterday & and just received a call from my primary care doc's office. Doctor feels the cause is normal degeneration of the disc due to the natural aging process (so now you can look forward to The Golden Years).
    Last edited by precisionworks; 07-03-2014 at 03:43 PM.

You're right Barry, it could always be worse but it still stinks to hear about that.

I've known people with similar ailments have remained remarkably active and productive by changing their habits and surroundings. One told me that it was a matter of adapting them to what your body will give you. For example, if it hurts to sit/stand while you do a certain task, find another way to accomplish the same thing.

Good luck with the neuro doc and whatever he recommends.

Quote Originally Posted by 880arm View Post
    ... I've known people with similar ailments have remained remarkably active and productive by changing their habits and surroundings. ...
    Totally agree with you Jim. I was told by my physical therapist that the spine is least compressed after sleeping at night & that's probably why mornings are better than afternoons or evenings. Since my alarm sounds at 0445 I'm usually in the shop by 0600. Afternoons are sometimes good, sometimes not & I try not to push it when the discomfort begins.

I'll work around this for as long as possible & perhaps the neurologist can do something with image guided joint injection of steroids or anesthetic.

Hi there Barry sorry to hear about your condition over the past few months, I did not know, though I hope your on your way to getting back on your feet. I am really happy with the last few bodies that you bored for me and would like to share one with everybody.

So to my other fellow CPF'ers, I would like to share with you a light that I recently had put together buy the help of some of the best people on this forum. I started off with sending a C2 HA body to Barry at Precision Works where Barry bored the host to fit 18650's and larger CR/RCR123's. Barry does some great work and the result really shows in the finish product with a very precise and clean finish, you can tell a lot of care is taken without any damage or scratches to the anno on the outside of the light. He also made some Derlin sleeves to fit standard size CR123's as an option. Thanks Barry, awesome work.

Then it was sent off to VinH to get the final treatment. Vin inserted one of his awesome M2500 P60's and assembled the light with the bezel and tail-cap. The end result, well pure awesomeness! Well in my eyes at least I really love the look and output of this light. And with one of Ronac's Cryos bezel's, this light deals with the heat from the MT-G2 very well regardless of the small package. Thanks Wayne and Barry, we really appreciate your work, constantly pushing the boundaries, breaking into new territory and setting new benchmarks so high. Love your work my friend, keep it up, bring it and get better sooooon!!
    Here are some photos for you all to see..

The C2 body on the machine ready to be bored by Barry at Precision Works.

The body after being bored.

Bored body with the Derlin sleeve.

And finally the finished product.

Last edited by Lomandor; 02-23-2014 at 01:33 AM.

Great photos, great work, and great looking light. Thanks for sharing.

Barry, I hope things are improving for you.

Barry, never ever rush your treatments or meds thinking that u can spend more time at work.
    Some things in life aren't just not meant to rush.
    But its a good thing to know that stretching helps because its something you can do anytime & anywhere. Unless its some ultra awkward position. Haha..

that does look good! barry is the man

Just a note to let everyone know that I'm back in the shop Some of you have waited for a long time & I appreciate your patience.

Your lights are being machined & shipped back in the order in which they arrived. If you have something that you want to send in please do so - it's looking like around four weeks turnaround.

No change to speak of on the health issues. Some days are almost pain free & the entire day is spent working in the shop. Others start off bad & get worse - thank goodness there aren't many of those as productivity drops to zero. I'm guessing an average of six hours work daily & that's a big improvement.

Good to hear you're back at it Barry. Being able to do something productive is good medicine.

Flashaholic

Good news, Barry. Hope you have way more good days than bad!

That's great to hear Barry.
    No PM's or Visitor Messages, Please Email at jfreyed at msn dot com

Thanks guys. It certainly is good to once again watch the lathe & the mill reshape or mod flashlights. I love the smell of cutting oil in the morning

Flashaholic

Popcorn Re: Boring service for Surefire® and other aluminum or titanium lights

Thanks guys. It certainly is good to once again watch the lathe & the mill reshape or mod flashlights. I love the smell of cutting oil in the morning
    Awesome!!! I have a modded head and tailcap in the closet just waiting for the return of the bored L2 body!

Quote Originally Posted by tjhabak View Post
    ... just waiting for the return of the bored L2 body!
    Yours is getting closer Looks like Friday (June 12) if nothing else gets in the way.

__________________________________________________ __________________________

Quite a few Fury P2X & P3X lights have the head solidly glued on. After modifying both tooling & technique these can be bored for only 50% more than normal cost (it was 100% more so it's a significant price reduction). Post #1 updated to reflect the lower cost.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 06-12-2014 at 06:18 PM.

Quite a few Fury P2X & P3X lights have the head solidly glued on.
    Talk about total unpredictability, Bravo Company sent a P3X EAG-Fury two weeks ago & the head unscrewed with only hand pressure. Received another one yesterday & the head will not budge. Call it the flashlight lottery?
    Last edited by precisionworks; 06-19-2014 at 04:30 AM.

Flashaholic

Mailing a SF U2 body to you today. I'd love one of your 2 cell cr123 spacers if they're still available.

I'd love one of your 2 cell cr123 spacers if they're still available.
    Those are made to order so please be sure to include a note with your light to indicate that.

[...] I love the smell of cutting oil in the morning
    Smells like ... victory.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast