Malkoff        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mechanical Modding Services

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Mechanical Modding Services

My shop isn't well positioned to handle lots of one off custom work. Semi-custom work falls more in line with how I operate. Here are some examples:

McGizmo titanium pocket clip installed, sanitized bezel & body wide grooved on SWM V10R Ti:100A2725.jpg

SWM V10R Ti with Haiku narrow pattern grooves, sanitized bezel & McGizmo pocket clip installed:

Threading detail of drilled & tapped holes for McGizmo pocket clip:

Stone wash with SWM etching left intact:

SWM V10R Ti mod pricing:

Haiku pattern grooves & remove all SWM body etching - $85

Groove extender to match Haiku pattern - $25

Bore body for either 17mm or 18mm cells - $84

Bore extender (17mm or 18mm), de-hex extender & diameter match to body - $45

Remove SWM bezel etching only - $25

Drill & tap two holes #4-40 tpi for (McGizmo / Mac's / J. Hanko) pocket clip - $75 for machining + $35 cost of clip (you may also supply your own clip)
    (PLEASE note: titanium screws are tender & the hex recess is easily destroyed by ordinary Allen wrenches. McGizmo recommends the Thorpe/MIP driver & that's what I use. http://miponline.com/store/mip9001.html) I can also supply Ti Torx head screws which don't require a special tool.

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1487552631.409462.jpg

Drill & tap on custom light bodies like McGizmo / Mac's / J. Hanko /etc. is $150 because of the additional risk involved. Drill & tap factory production lights is $75 for titanium or stainless, $50 for aluminum.

Turn around time: My shop primarily provides trouble shooting, emergency repairs & fabrication to local area business owners. Flashlights are machined whenever the time is available, meaning that your light may not be machined for many weeks after arrival - some lights may wait here 30 days or longer before they are machined. Please don't send your light if you need it back by a date certain. Lights are machined in the order in which they arrive.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________

SUREFIRE is a registered trademark of SureFire, LLC, 18300 Mount Baldy Circle, Fountain Valley, CA 92708 USA

SureFire, LLC, which manufactures and sells Surefire flashlights is not associated in any way form or fashion with Precision Works. SureFire, LLC, does not sponsor, warrant, or endorse any Precision Works modifications. Modifications to Surefire flashlights will void the warranty. The use of the Surefire trademark is strictly for the purpose of identifying the host flashlight for the Precision Works modifications.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by precisionworks; 02-19-2017 at 06:58 PM. Reason: added titanium beads
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights* Please text msg, phone or email through contact page at https://precisionelectrical.us/

Default Re: Stone Washing (barrel tumbling) & Glass Bead Blasting

Glass bead blasting & stone washing produce different results.

Stone washing. The titanium or stainless item is placed in a barrel tumbler with the appropriate media & the media imparts a super fine burnished appearance. Since the surface is pre-scratched it hides new scratches really well.

The media I prefer is ultra fine ceramic because it doesn't cause any rounding over of sharp edges or features. The down side of ultra fine media is long cycle time. Time varies based on the shapes & features of a particular light. For lights that have a number of small edges (think McGizmo Haiku) figure 24-72 hours in the barrel.

Comparison of SunDrop without stone wash (on left) & after stone wash:

Pricing:

Small parts - pocket clips, bezels, etc. are $10 each with a $50 minimum charge.

Titanium Knife scales - $25 per scale

Titanium or Stainless Lights (either stone wash or hand applied patina crosshatch)

Keychain size - $50

Single cell (1x123) are $50 each

Two cell (2x123) are $70 each.

Price covers light with all attachments (body, head, bezel, clip, etc.) Please disassemble your light before sending if you are able to. The head can only be tumbled if the light engine is removed.

Glass bead blasting. Single cell lights are $40 each.

Two cell lights are $50 each.

Price covers light with all attachments (body, head, bezel, clip, etc.) Please disassemble your light before sending if you are able to. The head can often be blasted with the light engine in place.

[/U][/I][/COLOR]Titanium-6-4 custom machined beads. Each bead is machined to order with choices of diameter/length/grooving/color/etc.

Shown below are 1/2" diameter with lengths from from 3/4" to 1"

Lantern bead below is 5/8" diameter by 1" long & is drilled for four 2x12mm vials. Size is slightly larger than the three beads shown above:

Titanium lanyard beads are machined one at a time from solid bar 6AL-4V Titanium, the same alloy used in aerospace & defense applications. Because these beads are not made on a CNC machine there will be slight variations on each one. Titanium has great strength & is highly corrosion resistant. Beads can be left in the natural finish (shown in the middle of the photo) or can be heat anodized. No two beads ever heat anodize exactly the same since this process is done by hand using a propane torch to heat the titanium to the desired color range.

Prices start at $40, please request a quote for exactly what you want. These make great gifts for friends & family with both lights & knives or for use as a zipper pull.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 02-12-2017 at 02:12 PM.
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights* Please text msg, phone or email through contact page at https://precisionelectrical.us/

Unenlightened

Hope I am posting this in the right thread. My new Sunwayman V10r Ti+ just arrived in the mail yesterday. Love the light and I was excited about the integrated clip on this new model only to find out that the integrated clip isn't much better then the one that came with the V10r Ti. I like the look of the titanium cover on the switch but was again disappointed when I discovered that it doesn't work very well. The titanium cover rubs against the side of the light if you don't push the button straight down. However, I am very fortunate to live close to precisionworks and I took the light over to him today to check out. He worked some of his magic on the switch and made it easier to use. I told him if I keep the light I will have him add a titanium clip to it and maybe one of his grip mods. Thanks Barry!!!
    Last edited by precisionworks; 04-19-2012 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BENKING View Post
    ... I am very fortunate to live close to PrecisionWorks and I took the light over to him today to check out. He worked some of his magic on the switch and made it easier to use. I told him if I keep the light I will have him add a titanium clip to it and maybe one of his grip mods. Thanks Barry!!!
    You're certainly welcome

BENKING's switch cap was removed & polised on a powered buffing wheel. The sides of the cap came up to a mirror finish in just a few minutes. Action is better.

Will Quiles is looking into making Delrin retainer rings. Combine that with a polished cap & the feel should be silky smooth.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 04-19-2012 at 02:40 PM.

Barry,

When you get around to working on my V10r, please use the new finishing method to remove the logo section - I like it a lot. It looks cleaner and suits the light better I feel.

Remember though that my 'grips' are different in that they are evenly spaced (no large gaps between the end grips and the 3 central grips). If need be I can resend the email where I explained it. Or was that in a thread? Gah! I can't remember :-(

- Matt
    Last edited by precisionworks; 04-19-2012 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattaus View Post
    Barry,

When you get around to working on my V10r, please use the new finishing method to remove the logo section - I like it a lot. It looks cleaner and suits the light better I feel.

Remember though that my 'grips' are different in that they are evenly spaced (no large gaps between the end grips and the 3 central grips). If need be I can resend the email where I explained it. Or was that in a thread? Gah! I can't remember :-(

- Matt
    Your V10R should go on the lathe tomorrow, it's the last collet chuck job that gets done. Then the jawed chuck is installed & a few lights get bored, including your C2. That finishes all the pending lathe work. Then off to the mill for trits (yours & other members)
    Last edited by precisionworks; 04-19-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by precisionworks View Post
    Your V10R should go on the lathe tomorrow, it's the last collet chuck job that gets done. Then the jawed chuck is installed & a few lights get bored, including your C2. That finishes all the pending lathe work. Then off to the mill for trits (yours & other members)
    Oh cool! I didn't realize you were so close lol. You appear to have been very busy with other work since your thread was moved. Ironic is not the term....but it's something lol.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 04-19-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattaus View Post
    my 'grips' are different in that they are evenly spaced (no large gaps between the end grips and the 3 central grips).
    Looked in the email section & found nothing ... but did find this in the old boring thread:

Since it's now 0300 in Brisbane, your V10R will be done before you wake up

Photos of new style grooving to follow. This should look really good.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 04-19-2012 at 02:43 PM.

Here's a before image:

And a few after the Ultra groove mod:

Last edited by precisionworks; 04-19-2012 at 02:45 PM.

You're a golf fan I take it?

I saw Pete's modded v10r on the weekend (Alaska Pete) and was struck by its beautiful lines and flow. It is so much nicer than stock. I think I would want the same angles and feel as pattern 2 (notice the angle near the head is much gentler) but with more evenly spaced ridges, similar to the Haiku pattern.

It is truly beautiful and greatly enhances this light. I love the bling and Trit mods, but the body slimming mod is just beautiful and functional.

Default Re: Mechanical Modding Services

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    You're a golf fan I take it?
    Watched most of the play on Sunday. One of the best & least predictable finishes I've ever seen. Webb Simpson (the winner) surely seems like a great young player.

I saw Pete's modded v10r on the weekend (Alaska Pete) and was struck by its beautiful lines and flow. It is so much nicer than stock. I think I would want the same angles and feel as pattern 2 (notice the angle near the head is much gentler) but with more evenly spaced ridges, similar to the Haiku pattern.

It is truly beautiful and greatly enhances this light. I love the bling and Trit mods, but the body slimming mod is just beautiful and functional.
    Thank you for your kind words.

Another member is having his V10R done in Haiku pattern & he also requested the bevel at the head:

That angle is easy enough to duplicate as it is exactly a match for one of my lathe turning inserts. IIRC it's 125° included angle from the horizontal tube surface.

The V10R can be modded to look similar to the Haiku but it will never feel like the Haiku does, especially in the tail swell area.

Because grip is so subjective it's sometimes hard to figure out what is best.
    While I'm carrying both the Haiku and V10R Ti full-time lately, they both feel perfect. If I play with the lights the smoother reduction you did for me feels nicer and and is my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    I saw Pete's modded v10r on the weekend (Alaska Pete) and was struck by its beautiful lines and flow. It is so much nicer than stock.
    Nothing but functionality perfected with Precision's finishing work second to none. Made one of my most uncomfortable lights for cigar-grip into a joy to hold and use.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post
    Nothing but functionality perfected with Precision's finishing work second to none. Made one of my most uncomfortable lights for cigar-grip into a joy to hold and use.
    Thank you for your kind words Pete. I'm happy that the results are what you were looking for.

On the topic of finishing, specifically surface treatments, stone washing is an often mentioned topic on the forums. One of my long time customers wanted bead blast but I no longer offer that. Stone wash is a nice alternative to BB - it gives the light a patina look versus the more flat appearance of BB.

Found roughly 100 different types of media, narrowed that down to a dozen, got samples of five different types & settled on one. Selection of media is almost unlimited & that's just the start. The next step is to choose the density, shape, abrasiveness, etc.

McGizmo SunDrop after 48 hours of stone wash:

Thank you for your kind words Pete. I'm happy that the results are what you were looking for.

On the topic of finishing, specifically surface treatments, stone washing is an often mentioned topic on the forums. One of my long time customers wanted bead blast but I no longer offer that. Stone wash is a nice alternative to BB - it gives the light a patina look versus the more flat appearance of BB.
    Man I wish you'd been doing this finish when you had my light - how much to do this finish, and is there a possibility of batch pricing instead as opposed to single unit pricing? I'm not a fan of BB finishing at all, because of its inherent fragility, but stonewash never gets old since the finish is just made up of pre-applied abrasions and looks as good after years of hard use as it did the day it shipped. Can't say how happy I am to see you offering stonewashing and I bet a lot of titanium users will be having you do this finish at the same time as they have their custom work done.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post
    how much to do this finish, and is there a possibility of batch pricing instead as opposed to single unit pricing?
    Price reduction is possible depending on the number of lights sent at one time. Email the details & I'll get pricing right back to you.

From post #2 here's "standard" pricing:

Small parts - pocket clips, bezels, etc. are $10 each.

Titanium or Stainless Lights:

Key chain size - $30

Single cell (1x123) are $50

Two cell (2x123) are $70. Price covers light with all attachments (body, head, bezel, clip, etc.) I will disassemble & reassemble your light or you may take it apart before you send it.

Please note: Minimum price to tumble any item is $50. That means that a single clip will cost $50 & five clips will also cost $50.

Nice... I still like the battery tube that you made me .... Better grip

Enlightened

Looks like perfection! Thanks Barry.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by stoli67 View Post
    Nice... I still like the battery tube that you made me .... Better grip
    Thank you for the compliment Stoli. I would agree that the original Ultra Groove Mod does give a killer grip. For the owner that wants the smallest possible tube the Haiku pattern gives a surprisingly secure grip.

Quote Originally Posted by FLGUY View Post
    Looks like perfection! Thanks Barry.

Andrew
    You are certainly welcome Andrew. Good call to have the extender grooved to match the tube - first time I've done that & it really makes the V10R look like a high dollar custom.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 07-08-2012 at 04:39 PM.

Barry,

Your work on these V10's is so extensive you're almost making them your own! That last mod with the extender looks amazing.

How does the Haiku pattern differ from what you did for my V10? I need to find the pics and compare them I think. The Haiku doesn't appear to have the step that I recall mine having. Is this because the Haiku pattern isn't as deeply grooved?

- Matt

How does the Haiku pattern differ from what you did for my V10?
    Good question Matt - probably other members wondering the same thing. Your light (as well as most of the V10R grip mods) retains the full diameter of the ridges or lands (red arrows):

You're exactly correct that the Haiku pattern groove depth is much less. The tube is first turned down smooth & then the grooves are cut 0.4mm (.016") deep. Different look & feel but both are a huge improvement over the feel of the factory tube.

Last edited by precisionworks; 07-08-2012 at 05:11 PM.

SWM V10R Ti (from post #62) and Mac's Tri EDC Titanium. Image taken after 36 hours in the stone wash. Surfaces are just starting to color up & will be darker & richer looking after an additional 36 hours. The Tri EDC will ship out on Monday morning, only 4 days after it arrived. Expected turnaround on stone wash is 7-14 days in the shop

Interesting effect on the V10R as the media is just able to burnish the grooves.

Hi, after seeing the results from the previous posts, I'm planning to send in a McClickie pak for a sandblasting mod, but also wanted to have it anodized.

What should go first, sandblasting or anodizing? Thanks!

Definitely have the beadblast or sandblast done first. You may be able to find someone locally who'll BB it for you after you remove the McClickie switch & boot. Unless you have the Thorp hex driver it's safest not to try to remove the clip.

To be clear I don't provide anodizing. For that you'll want to contact UKMidnight. Matt does superb work & his prices are very reasonable. I provide stone wash & in some ways it can resemble ano but the two processes are totally different.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 08-07-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Definitely have the beadblast or sandblast done first.

To be clear I don't provide anodizing. For that you'll want to contact UKMidnight. Matt does superb work & his prices are very reasonable. I provide stone wash & in some ways it can resemble ano but the two processes are totally different.
    Thanks for the advice!

Yes, I already contacted ukmidnite about the anodizing part, just wasn't too sure about mentioning it in the thread

Once I grab a McClickie pak, I'll contact you

Quote Originally Posted by samuraishot View Post
    I already contacted ukmidnite about the anodizing part, just wasn't too sure about mentioning it in the thread
    You've probably seen these lights that belong to Henk Lu:

They were shipped to me from France, trit slots milled, shipped to Matt in the UK for ano, shipped back to France so the owner could install the trits, whew Enough frequent flier miles for two round trip tickets.

Matt's a great guy to work with, does stunning ano including about any pattern a person can imagine & finishes the job pretty quickly. He's off to a great start & plans to do this for a long time. Can't ask for any better than that.

I wish you hadn't shown me that!!! That's an awesome mod!

Quote Originally Posted by samuraishot View Post
    I wish you hadn't shown me that!!! That's an awesome mod!
    Thank you for your kind words. The trits are the larger 2x6mm have 60% greater area than the 1.5x5mm so they really glow. Add the colored background from UKMidnight & the trits seem to jump out from the titanium. The total effect is visually stunning.

Lots of great ideas have come to life in this thread.

I had the "hex" from a V10R Ti AA extender tube turned smooth and bored for 17500 by precisionworks a few months back and it turned out perfect. Life has been relentless but I figured I should at least post a thank you and that I am very happy with result, even though it is a simple mod compared to some of the other things here. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Thanks for offering these services.

Default Re: Boring service for Surefire® and other aluminum or titanium lights

Email sent regarding ream/hone on a certain light. Thanks!
    Pick the pooch!

Default Re: Boring service for Surefire® and other aluminum or titanium lights

Haiku groove mod & bezel cleaned:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast