The Fenix-Store        
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mechanical Modding Services

Default Re: Mechanical Modding Services

Quote Originally Posted by tobrien View Post
    that's incredible work on that Z2!
    Thank you for your kind words. Z2's are always interesting to bore as the main tube OD is the smallest of any 2-cell Surefire (AFAIK). Took me a minute or two to figure out how to hold the bezel and thank goodness I had the tooling for that.

Installed a McG pocket clip on a newer SWM V10R Ti & spent quite a bit of time determining the best location. The light has two tapped holes to mount the factory clip & the McG clip also needs two holes ... but I discovered a way to mount the McG clip with only one additional hole. One of the McG clip holes is located directly over one factory hole location as shown below:

Then a second hole was drilled & tapped. The clip is perfectly centered, something of a relief to me

Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights* Please text msg, phone or email through contact page at https://precisionelectrical.us/

Email sent regarding stonewashing a Bare aluminum Mac Tri, and adding a clip to my SWM V10R Ti.

Sometimes (and not often) a McG clip fits without much work involved. Thrunite supplies a clip with the titanium T20T & it's not bad, just a little thin & short for my uses. A McG clip needs only a few minutes filing to make the screw slots about .5mm wider on each side. Appearance isn't perfect since the inside portions of the screw slots are visible but function is 100%.

The factory 1mm screws are tiny compared to the 4-40 screws that Don provides & the holes could be drilled out & tapped to the larger size if desired. I'll run it this way for a while & see how this works out.

Some CR123 lights are thick enough to bore for 18mm but not this one. The thinnest body section (at the O-ring groove) measures only 0.711" (18.05mm). Minimum diameter for boring to 18mm is 0.750" (19.05mm).
    Last edited by precisionworks; 02-19-2015 at 09:24 AM.
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights* Please text msg, phone or email through contact page at https://precisionelectrical.us/

nice!
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

I see interesting things still happening here! I hope your health is still in a good holding pattern or even improving. You must be doing ok as I can see you are spending time in the shop.

Clips look great on the above lights. I have always been surprised how little attention is given to clips or attachment points in general on flashlights. For me if I can't clip it or at least attach it securely to something, the utility factor (or maybe the travel factor) is greatly reduced. Sometimes can even be a deal breaker. On the manufacturer side though, I can see the additional complexity and cost of adding a clip and this is probably why so few have done it right. I think there is plenty of room for better clip designs like being easily removable, multi directional, etc.....

Anyway, just wanted to say "hey" and glad to see you still working in the flashlight space.

Barry, I've been considering picking up a host from Sinner, but I have big hands, so I'd probably need some thumb grooves machined out for easier access to the switch (see here for sample pics of the shrouded switch: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/35749). Do you think this could be machined down for greater switch access?

Again, I don't have this yet, but if I do I'd probably need to send it to you
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.

Hopefully not off-topic here, but wanted to thank you for cleaning up some threads on a couple of coated Ti hosts for me

Posted up a "Cheers" for you too
    ... is the archimedes peak

tobrien - like this?

... wanted to thank you for cleaning up some threads on a couple of coated Ti hosts ...
    You're certainly welcome. Those are very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by precisionworks View Post
    tobrien - like this?

yes sir! or even grooves/depressions perhaps

I'm surprised not to see more EagleTac D25C Ti ... low cost, lots of features & a really nice beam. It needs only a couple of mods to be perfect

IMHO there's only one issue when running the McG clip on most non McGizmo lights - the tip bears on the head of the light & can scratch the head as it's taken off or put back on. The D25C Ti has a longer body/shorter head than similar lights & the clip rests against the body ... a small point but really nice.

Shown with McGizmo titanium pocket clip installed. One of the factory threaded holes (see arrow below) is not used when the McG clip is installed.

Closer views of body finishing & grooving:

The U-grooving turns a too slick body into one with good grip.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 02-19-2015 at 04:56 PM.

This is awesome!!!! I might want this done for my eagletac d25cVN!!!!

Any idea of cost?

Thx
    Matt

Matt - is yours Ti or aluminum?

All titanium

Pricing is the same as it is for the SWM V10R Ti:
    • Groove body & satin finish - $75
    • Drill & tap two holes #4-40 tpi for McGizmo / Mac's / J. Hanko / pocket clip - $60 for machining + $35 cost of clip

Hello-

Do you do work on stainless steel flashlights?

Certainly do Rush. Pricing is the same as Ti & many of the available mods are discussed in post #1.

Certainly do Rush. Pricing is the same as Ti & many of the available mods are discussed in post #1.
    Thanks for the timely response!
    I will Email you tomorrow regarding a possible mod that I'd like done on a flashlight.

Mac's aluminum EDC after stone wash. Light arrived in high polish finish & I regret not photographing it for a "before & after".

Ti-6-4 beads, 1/2" diameter by 1" long, through hole is 1/4" & will pass a pair of 550 paracords.

Polished finished (on right) is $50 plus shipping. Stone wash finish (dark highlights) is $60 plus shipping. Please allow one extra week if stone wash is desired.

Nice!
    Please no PM/Visitor Msg's. Email for questions/Paypal: wquiles [at] gmail {dot} com

Thank you for your kind words Will. Running a few more today before switching over from the 5C chuck to the 3-jaw & boring a Fury with the head glued on. Here's a slightly longer one (1 1/8") with four dimples in the middle & wider grooves:

Last edited by precisionworks; 03-29-2015 at 01:36 PM.

Ti bead is 1/2" diameter & 5/8" long. Grooves are cut to maximum depth, leaving only .020" (.5mm) thickness to the center hole.

Knife is Emerson Mini Commander with wave cut quick opening blade.

I stopped milling trit slots some time ago but plan to experiment with Ti beads drilled for trits ... similar to the drilled cooling fins previously available for the SWM V10R Ti. Not sure when the trits will arrive & then have to source a solid carbide oversize shank drill bit. Starting with vials 2mm x 12mm & my calculations show very little wiggle room so there may be a total of one trit bead made
    Last edited by precisionworks; 04-05-2015 at 03:19 PM.

lookin good!

Bead diameter is 5/8" & length to the cutoff groove is 1"

Trits are 2x12 mm

Fin thickness is 1/2 mm

For reference the Ti rod is 5/8" diameter & 3" long

How much are these beads? Are you currently selling them?

Ti bead is 1/2" diameter & 5/8" long. Grooves are cut to maximum depth, leaving only .020" (.5mm) thickness to the center hole.

Knife is Emerson Mini Commander with wave cut quick opening blade.

I stopped milling trit slots some time ago but plan to experiment with Ti beads drilled for trits ... similar to the drilled cooling fins previously available for the SWM V10R Ti. Not sure when the trits will arrive & then have to source a solid carbide oversize shank drill bit. Starting with vials 2mm x 12mm & my calculations show very little wiggle room so there may be a total of one trit bead made

... there may be a total of one trit bead made
    This was the first bead & I snapped a $70 Guhring drill. Got the broken piece out of the hole & finished drilling. Drilling left burrs on the bottom of each fin so the bead was remounted on the lathe & the machined a second time to smooth off the fins.

IMHO it's no easier to drill for trits than it is to mill slots. The smallest mistake eats expensive tooling in a heartbeat. On a positive note it will look great when finished & make a nice Christmas present. There are no plans to make another one.

How much are these beads? Are you currently selling them?
    Anyone looking for trit beads should contact Ben at: http://www.eclipsesharp.com/

His work is excellent & his prices are less than half of what I'd charge.

Back to my core business ...

5/8" x 1" bead on left, 1/2" x 3/4" bead on right. Same paracord lanyard on both.

Last edited by precisionworks; 04-23-2015 at 10:15 AM.

Looking over the different beads I've turned makes me think that the larger groove size looks nicer. Below is another 5/8" x 1" - grooves are 2mm & fins are .5mm. The ends are machined to leave half a groove that's 1mm wide & 1mm deep. Grip is exceptional & it would be easy to grasp & pull with fingers that are cold or gloved.

...There are no plans to make another one.
    I knew it was possible to end drill a bead - so I bought more tooling () and finally got it right. Cost for an undrilled 5/8"x1" bead is $75, cost for the same bead with four 2mm holes is $150. Trits are not included, I have no trits but they are easily purchased on the web (my 2mmx12mm trits came from EclipseSharp, about $50 for four including shipping.

Last edited by precisionworks; 05-02-2015 at 12:54 PM.

It looks "simple", but wow, that is some great machining
    Please no PM/Visitor Msg's. Email for questions/Paypal: wquiles [at] gmail {dot} com

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast