Looking for 1xAAA light, with a very uncommon feature (Beacon mode)

AusKipper

Enlightened
I want a 1xAAA flashlight with beacon mode to put on my dogs collar at night while she is running around in the bush off lead.

The old Preon Revo Stainless would have been absolutly ideal but they dont make it anymore :( (nor can I find that or a non stainless on eBay)

I cant find any current production lights (4Sevens, Fenix, Klarus, shining beam, Olight) with beacon mode, can anyone help me out?

If not, she is a large dog, I might end up just getting a 1xAA light.

pepekraft

Newly Enlightened
the regular preon (not Revo) has a beacon mode and is still in production as far as I know.

I use an lri photon ReX for that purpose myself, although it's a completely different form factor (but rechargeable by AA or pretty much any cell) so probably off topic. Preon1. ;)

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Replace the white led in a keychain light with a flashing blue led, I did this to slide over car roof aerial to easy find car at night in large car park..

Should last well over 5 hours RT. A standard white led lasts 5 hours continuous.

Also a way of making Christmas tree / stairway illuminations !

Or...... as it's a large dog, hang a cheap mobile around it's neck, or on it's back, it will flash and ring when you dial it !
Don't enable answerphone ! You could train dog to return when it rings !

See google photo's... dog with mobile phone etc

Last edited:

AusKipper

Enlightened
the regular preon (not Revo) has a beacon mode and is still in production as far as I know.

I use an lri photon ReX for that purpose myself, although it's a completely different form factor (but rechargeable by AA or pretty much any cell) so probably off topic. Preon1. ;)

Only problem with the Preons is ther is no real way to securely mount it to a collar, it only has a pocket clip... unless i can get a split ring through that little hole in the pocket clip...

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps a AAA light isn't quite the right choice for this purpose? Consider the "SPOTLIT Collar light", or the "PETLIT LED collar light" from Nite Ize. They are clip on LED lights designed specifically with this purpose in mind. Can be on constantly or in beacon mode and come in different colors. They actually make a whole line of LED products for pets like the "NITE DAWG" LED Dog collar and LED powered toys for night time play." Paste this link into your web browser (niteize.com/collections/pets) or do a search for Nite Ize. These are the guys who make the well regarded Inova Microlight and other products well known to CPFers, so I imagine the Spotlit is of similar quality.

spotlitdog.jpg

spotdawg.jpg

P.S. I wonder if this thread belongs in and was actually intended for the "Recommend Me a Light" forum but ended up here?

Last edited:

JulianP

Enlightened
I bought a couple of flashing dog collars from DX and they do the job very well. I don't have to worry about the flashlight getting muddy or wet. Plus, the lights flash all around the neck, so they are not obstructed by some part of the dog.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
NITE DAWG collar
nitdawgr.jpg

Nite Dawg collar (original)
dawgclr.jpg

DX (cloned copy)

dxclr.jpg

Here's the one JulianP is probably referring to.
dxclr2.jpg

Last edited:

salimoneus

Newly Enlightened
It does not sound like a small flashlight/torch is the right tool for the job here. As stated a collar light is the way to go.

JulianP

Enlightened
Ah! I must have the Night Dawg DX cloned copy. It's a source of endless entertainment for young couples sitting in the park, in semi-darkness. They don't seem to mind being interrupted by my dog, who looks like a small furry alien wearing a space collar.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only problem with the Preons is ther is no real way to securely mount it to a collar, it only has a pocket clip... unless i can get a split ring through that little hole in the pocket clip...

Preon1 nowadays does come with a key ring attachment, I took off the clip and put it on my keys

d08cfdf1.jpg

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah! I must have the Night Dawg DX cloned copy. It's a source of endless entertainment for young couples sitting in the park, in semi-darkness. They don't seem to mind being interrupted by my dog, who looks like a small furry alien wearing a space collar.

JulianP, when, in your other post, you said, "the lights flash all around the neck" I pictured the one with many separate emitters. The one you have looks like a better choice and from the picture looks like a pretty good copy. Apparently, it's about one third the price of the real one. I'm curious to know if your dog notices it at all.

CarpentryHero, thanks for the tip about the keyring on the Preon. Who knew?

Last edited:

JulianP

Enlightened
JulianP, when, in your other post, you said, "the lights flash all around the neck" I pictured the one with many separate emitters. The one you have looks like a better choice and from the picture looks like a pretty good copy. Apparently, it's about one third the price of the real one. I'm curious to know if your dog notices it at all.
The one I have from DX is SKU 17831. It's black, and has a light tube running through it. The tube has clear partitions every 2 cm, which create the effect of a separate emitter. I thought initially it was like the one in the picture posted by EZO, but that's different. If you search "flashlight collar" on DX, it brings all different solutions to the dog-at-night- problem.
BTW, Oskar (my dog) doesn't care about the collar. I think he enjoys all the attention, but he probably thinks it's just his charm.

AusKipper

Enlightened
Thanks to everyone for your replies.

I was going to avoid the collar rout because its not very .. "multi purpose" and i wasnt sure of the waterproofing (she loves to jump in the lake).

Also, I wanted something with regular batteries, and lots of the mentioned options rely on those flat cell batteries I cant recharge. I'm already all set up with eneloops and a aaa charger :)

Now that I know the preon can go onto a key chain I think I have made my decision and am going to get one of those.