• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Golden Luxeon Arc AAA?

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
Would anybody be interested in Luxeon in GOLDEN Arc AAA casings?

Golden.jpg

This apparently is from Peter's R&D effort---a small test run that leaked out through recent auctions. The battery tube is golden but the bezel is silver (ie, bare aluminum)

I was told there are 10 available. If there is enough interest, I will buy them and mod them into novel Arc AAA LS lights.

Please refer to my original post for pricing info.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
I think that Gold/Silver [Aluminum] body looks awesome.

I've read through the original post, and although there are lots of pics, there is no direct comparison of the modded Arc AAA with any other light. I'm sure that your mod kicks butt compared to stock Arc AAA, but can you post a description of where it falls as compared to other light we might know [or better yet a picture].

I'm guessing it falls somewhere between Arc AAA and Arc LS.

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
This is the beam comparison of the LS mod with half acrylic ball lens vs Arc AAA standard (forced 1.5 level under exposure):

LS-STD.jpg

The camera appeared to be more sensitive to the bluish tint of the stock Arc AAA.

This is LS mod without lens vs Arc AAA:

ArcAAA_LS2.jpg

To take this picture I have to hold the lights very close to the wall (~30cm) because the beam of the LS mod is very wide.

Both lights are on freshly charged Ni-H batteries.

The beam shots were taken with a 400mA battery draw unit which is the default value. Upon customer request, I can make anywhere between 200 and 700mA battery draw (60 and ~180mA to the LS, respectively).

paulr

Flashaholic
How hot does the light get with 180 mA to the LS for a few minutes?!

Doug

Enlightened
I don't get it... how the HECK do you get an LS in that small AAA case????

Doug

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I believe the gold is the chemkote or whatever it's called. As I recall PG stated that the tubes are completely chemKoted and then anodized on the outside. I don't know how well this plating will hold up to abrassion but would not expect it to be a stellar performer.

- Don

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
I don't know how well this plating will hold up to abrassion but would not expect it to be a stellar performer.
- Don

[/ QUOTE ]

Don,

Can you elaborate on that? Do you mean that the casing will not be very rugged, or are you saying the lights overall performance will be negatively impacted in some way?

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
FlashlightOCD,
I believe Don was referring to the durability of the Chem Film coating. This golden looking coating is actually a base coating that is applied prior to anodizing. Therefore, it will not provide a scratch resistant layer.

You can find out all about the anodizing, chem film and plating processes by surfing over HERE

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
paulr:

The 180mA version will get warm, but not hot. I would guestimate somewhere about 50C.

doug:

The inner diameter of the Arc AAA head is exactly the same as the outer diameter of the LS emitter. You will need to bend the leads right off the base to stick it in. Then there is a space approximately 7mm diameter by 5mm hight for the electronic parts.

FlashlightOCD:

I don't know how durable the color will be. The only test I did was to press the keychain loop portion rather firmly against a piece of paper and dragged it for about 20cm. I didn't see obvious discoloration in the contact point.

The golden chemKote is not eye-catchingly shinny like gold plated or polished brass. I guess the lack of WOW factor was why Peter didn't mass produce them. It is a novel collectable, though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
I got 11 golden casings last week. I wonder if anyone still has interest in them now. I am ready to take order now. Please PM me or email me for price and other details. Let me know whether you want to have the lens or not.

flash....

Enlightened
I just want to add that I have one of LEDASAP's Modded AAAs and it rocks!!!

Very bright, good runtime and my EDC.
barely gets warm.

A must however, (IMHO) is to get a half acrylic sphere added for a lens... this will give your AAA some real throw.
every time I use it and someone see it, I get immediately barraged with questions and conversation.... "what is that?, Damn it's bright.... where can I get one?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
It ends up tossing a Square beam with little side spill.

Too bright to look into...

Awesome light.

alanhuth

Newly Enlightened
I second what Flash.. said. I have one with and without the ball, and I recommend the ball. That little light is amazing. Square beam, bright and decent runtime. This light's beam is bright and broad enough to basically replace an Arc LS as an EDC. It's just as bright as my LSH-P (not the Fraen version), but it's so much smaller that it's just a joy to carry. Problem is, I've given regular Arc AAAs to lots of people who like them and think they are very bright. If they ever see this mod, they will think I short-changed them on the original gift. No comparison.