Magic: The Gathering now just memories

Catapult

Enlightened
I remember the card game years ago when I was so attached to it. Back in junior high, I "converted" many fellow students into the game. In almost any school, during lunch, there would usually be at least one table where a bunch of kids would be seen playing that addictive card game.

When I'm not evaluating my deck at how strategically effective it is, I would marvel at the paintings of the cards and read the flavor text, which seem to paint a faint but exoctic and interesting world.

There would be times when my rares were stolen, and one time when my entire deck was gone. It was a magnet for theivery. Oh well, just go back to my boxes of cards and build another.

What has happened to the game now? It has become so saturated, I lost all interest. Too many expansions, too many abilities, too many effects. The only way to catch up to it all is by buying it all. And that's what Hasbro (who bought Wizards of the Coast I beleive) wants us to do. Is Hasbro bought out by an even bigger company now or am I just thinking Hasbro Interactive? Anyway, as they got bigger, the whole concept of the game was lost. Check out the newer designs. It just contradicts the whole setting of the game. If they could change the back of the card, they would do it too. I haven't touched it in years. The remaining cards I have in my possesion now serves as a reminder of how I used to enjoy that game.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I strongly and sadly second that.
M:TG was my main hobby for years untill it got corrupted by greed and professionalism. The spirit and fun is gone ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
When I look at my Beta and AN sets, this still gives me that "feeling", but the newer expansions are just soulless constructed things with a lot of power.
I have stopped now, but I think I will not be able to sell my old collection ... I am still attached to the memory of what once was.
bernhard

P.S.: the downfall strarted when they took away the freedom of interpretation of the artists and replaced it with a consistent story line and pre-thought-out pics ... when Anson Maddocks left.

Banshee

Enlightened
I too miss playing.in fact I just found my cards in storage the other day.
I have a problem with a game system that makes previous versions "officially obsolete" by retiring older editions in favor of the newest releases

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I to once enjoyed this great strategy game and recently considered getting back into it, but have you guys seen the new cards? They are just crazy. For instance, a friend of mine recently showed me a 99/99 card with trample! I mean, come on, that is just nuts. I guess I will go back to playing MTG Duels of the Planeswalkers on the computer. That was the golden age of the game to me.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with you guys. I think Magic a few years ago was better than it is now. A lot of the old famous cards people don't even know about now and some of the old cards are the best. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

SilverFox

Flashaholic
My son came home from school a few year back and told me he wanted to go to the local game room and get involved with this new game Magic.

I was not about to let him go unsupervised, so I went along as an observer. It was not long before I found the game interesting and began building decks and trying them out with my son.

We even spent a few Saturdays in Seattle at Wizards of the Coast playing in the sealed deck tournaments. In one tournament I ended up playing against my son (he won - of course, but I put up a good fight).

When Hasboro took over there seemed to be a general change in the attitude of the game. The new decks and new rules did not seem to carry the flavor of the older artwork and thought.

We gradually dropped out of the scene. I am sad to hear that things have gotten worse.

Tom

Kiessling

Flashaholic
X-Cal , that one was a joke card from a funny set, not a real playing card! It is called "big furry Monster (BFM) and you actually need two cards (left and right side, it is too big for just one card) to get it into play ...
I admit that the newer cards or a bit overpowered in general to attract the bugs / buyers again and again, they learned form their mistakes.
bernhard

JOshooter

Enlightened
I recieved a starter pack from one of my relatives. It was a great intro to the game and how to play, but I'm not really into the card games like that. The only way to get better is to keep buying more and more cards. I know that the most cards doesn't win, but the more you buy the better the chance you have of a rare card. Too me it was just a waste of time to go for more than the starter deck.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
brite one, if you might have the chance of a "closed enviroment", meaning a group of people that limit their investments this game can still be a huge fun to play!
Or ask some professional players for a pack of free common cards, this is sufficient to have fun!
we guys lamenting here are sad and pissed-off veterans sharing their melancholy of some lost beauty.
bernhard

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
I currently play Magic (just learned in May) and I am truly addicted. I hear from the veterans that every set that comes out gets more broken than before. I haven't been in the Magic scene that long, but it sounds so true with these new abilities.

//Dan

Catapult

Enlightened
During the old days of M:TG it was just right, not too many cards, not too little. Just enough to choose from. It was easy to remember and tell which card was which. The game was well balanced, nothing was overwhelming. Smaller wallets can still play a good game against the bigger wallets. Everything made scense. Many events of today are a reminiscence of how M:TG was lost through size, change, and greed.

Speaking of the funny sets, the first, Unglued, was an unsual but a humorous addition to the game. Anyone seen the Get a Drink (as far as I can remember)? Costs nothing to cast, target player gets you target drink. It was hilarious!

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Catapult said:
Speaking of the funny sets, the first, Unglued, was an unsual but a humorous addition to the game. Anyone seen the Get a Drink (as far as I can remember)? Costs nothing to cast, target player gets you target drink. It was hilarious!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called "Ashnod's Coupon" - and it is ANNOYING. (Lost $2 to it.)

//Dan

Saaby

Flashaholic
I STINK at strategy games. My cousins whom live down the street from me loved (love?) MTG and would always try to get me to play with them but eventally they gave up when the figured out that it's no fun to play with somebody you know you're going to beat before you even begin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

SockMan

Newly Enlightened
I stopped playing and collecting MTG many years ago, before Hasbro took over. I guess it was more of a passing interest for me. Besides, I didn't have many people to play against and they always beat me at it! My friend and his darn spike deck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
tempted to sell my Beta-Collection for this Photon-King thingie coming up ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
just kidding.
bernhard