PD 32 or TK 15

DanaC

Newly Enlightened
I like Fenix's, and I'm looking at these two. Specs/output etc are similar; not crazy about the 'strike bezel' on the TK 15, and it's about 15 bucks more. Any reason to choose one over the other? Better UI? Beam? Construction?

Thanks in advance.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
They have pretty identical UI and built quality, TK15 is bigger -> has bigger reflector -> much better throw.

kj2

Flashaholic
I would go for the TK15. If you don't like the strike bezel on the 15, than take a look at the TK21(U2).

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
You know it's funny, I was just thinking about starting a thread like this. The things that I really want compared between these two lights is overall quality and tint. I love my TK15 to death, but the green tint is something awful on this light. On low mode it completely washes out color and everything becomes sickly pale. This is why I got the LD25 and will probably get the LD40 at somepoint. But I really would like to have the wall of light from the TK15 with out that awful tint that it has on anything but turbo. So, the question is, how does the PD32 stack up to the TK15?
Tint comparison
QC (heard about a fair number of PD32 lemons)
Ruggedness
Versatility
Carry-a-bility
Beamshot comparison
Mode button comparison (just curious to see peoples impression on the rubber switch)
Pros vs Cons in general
Throw comparison (just to see how much you would loose with the PD32 from the TK15)

And before you say it,yes, I will own both of these lights more likely than not. My 18650/RCR123 collection is on standby right now because I don't have a good charging system (or any really...) set up and I don't have the funds to start that set up. I do, however, have a AA setup and thus I am currently expanding my collection of AA lights first. So, I have some time to look at various lights and decide, which is why I am asking instead of waiting for my PD32 to get here and posting all this myself.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pics from Fonarik.com:

PD32
K-Fenix-PD32-Cree-XP-G-LED-R5-315lm-ANSI.jpg

TK15
K-Fenix-TK15-R5-337lm-ANSI.jpg

And just for comparison, TK21:
K-fenix-TK21-U2-CREE-XM-L-LED-468lm.jpg

And 'SimulatedZero" - yours LD25:
K-Fenix-LD25-Cree-XP-G-Neutral-White-LED-R4-180lm.jpg

Erzengel

Enlightened
You should also consider the size of the two lights. The size of the PD32 is better for EDC.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I boils down to what you want to use it for.

If EDC, get the PD32, If duty light, get the TK21(U2) skip the TK15.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
Unless you use 18650 or want some throw - in that case skip TK21.

Does the TK21 have runtime issues with AW 18650's? It would make sense that if it had issues with one 18650 it would have issues with all of them. But, one guy posted that it only had that issue with cheaper 18650's. Not sure what to make of that
thinking.gif
. Does the TK15 have those same issues? I dropped a friend's AW 2600ma in and it worked no problem, but we didn't run it for a very long time.

spc smith

Enlightened
Im going to be the bearer of bad news. Stretch out your options a bit and do a bit of research on these lights and brands. Yes fenix has made it's name well in the world of LEO's. there are still other options out there. +1 on the TK21 though, that light has tremendous throw and spill for it being an XML vs XPG. For the record check selfbuilt's review on this light and see if it doesnt change your mind on brand loyalty. KLARUS XT11. This light utilizes the XML as well as the TK21 but with a truly tactical inspired UI. Check it out. The light puts out 550 OTF lumens on 1X18650 and 700 OTF lumens on primaries (CR123's batteries). Your welcome=)

spc smith

Enlightened
While Fenix has a good reputation, it is not the 1 and only reputation out there. Check the new Klarus XT11 curtesy of selfbuilt's in depth full review. It's an impressive performing light in the best to date tactical user interface, and powerhouse of overall lumen output. Let's start at 550 OTF lumens and go up to 750 OTF lumens with primaries and rechargeables. Also take a look at the Olight M20X @t 500 OTF lumens. Either light you will not go wrong. Klarus you will get more though

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the TK21 have runtime issues with AW 18650's? It would make sense that if it had issues with one 18650 it would have issues with all of them. But, one guy posted that it only had that issue with cheaper 18650's. Not sure what to make of that
thinking.gif
. Does the TK15 have those same issues? I dropped a friend's AW 2600ma in and it worked no problem, but we didn't run it for a very long time.
Quality 2600mAh batts have Sanyo cells inside, they keep quite high voltage, that's why TK21 can run half an hour (with freshly charged cells), not 5 minutes on turbo mode. No, TK15 doesn't have any protection, runs fine with all batteries..

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Throw is indeed almost the same, -the TK21 as/had some issues with (cheap)batteries. But with quality batteries, it works good/normal.

Yeah that TK21 is quite something, i really had my heart on this, but opted for the T20CS instead. :)

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
I think we went a little off topic here. The OP was asking about the TK15 versus the PD32. Thanks for posting some beam shots, Phantom. What about the mode switch button. I know that the side button is hard to find on the TK15 sometimes. But, is it hard to find it on the PD32? Has anybody had a chance to play with both, side by side?

somnambulated

Newly Enlightened
They have pretty identical UI and built quality, TK15 is bigger -> has bigger reflector -> much better throw.

This has been my experience as well. I still like my TK 12 quite a bit, it's a much nicer light in terms of throw, and hot spot with some nice spill, and looking sexy than the PD30 (same comparative model at the time, I own both).

The "strike bezels" on these lights really aren't all that pronounced. They're rounded, and if anything they're more "hey, I left my light on" indicators than any kind of a defensive "strike bezel."

Also, I really don't like the looks of the new side buttons on the PD series. They look like a slapped-on afterthought, and I can't imagine they'd be as functional as the button on the TK series. YMMV.

Last edited:

Latest posts