Secure Concepts Tactical Door Viewer?

Ross

Enlightened
Has anyone got any experience with these ? (I dont think you can link directly to the window)
They look pretty handy - I could certainly use them at work, I hate peering through letterboxes!

Comments?

Ross

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Call me paranoid, but I figured this out a long time ago. I was sitting in my living room looking at a shaft of light coming through the peephole and thought, "If light can come in, it can go out, too. I wonder how much you can see from the outside?" With a simple pair of binoculars you can see everything.

Take a pair of binoculars and hold the small end against the outside of a peephole. The large lens (facing you) is then filled with the view of the interior of the room the peephole faces.

Since I noticed this, I taped a 3" by 3" piece of paper over the peephole (by the top edge - like a flap) that I lift to look out when necessary.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Didn't peepholes used to have a hinged cover that you had to lift out of the way in order to look through the lens?

Wonder what kind of pattern you'd get if you put a Nano-Mate up to the lens of the peephole? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of those, and it doesn't work well enough to get a useful image of an interior, not to mention the hazard of being in front of a door where hostiles may be behind.

--dan

Ross

Enlightened
Thanks dan, thats the kind of feedback I was after, I dont face the threat of firearms like you do but I am wary of the odd sword coming through the letterbox!

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
True. I can use it to see in a room, but the image is too poor to really see anything specific.

--dan

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
The binocular trick quickbeam mentioned is just as good, much simpler and less expensive.

They did *used* to sell peepholes with little hinged or rotating covers, but I have been looking for one recently and can't seem to find anything at all at local B&M stores. The ones on the web I have found are a bit pricey! Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Bill.H

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
LEDmodMan said:
The binocular trick quickbeam mentioned is just as good, much simpler and less expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]
How about one of countycomm's little monoculars? It would be a lot easier to carry and should work the same.

[ QUOTE ]
LEDmodMan said:

They did *used* to sell peepholes with little hinged or rotating covers, but I have been looking for one recently and can't seem to find anything at all at local B&M stores. The ones on the web I have found are a bit pricey! Any help would be much appreciated!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You could make one in a few minutes with a small saw or grinder, a drill, and a piece of brass plate. Cut out a keyhole shape just large enough to to cover the lens, drill a hole through the small end for a brass screw; screw it loosely above the lens so it hangs over it.

Mednanu

Enlightened
I have to second what dano said - it was the first thing that popped into my mind, which is why the other thing (a bullet while peeping through one of those), probably won't be the second thing popping into my mind. Something tells me that the best way to see what's behind a door (for now), is a flashbang, a big ram, and a 7 man team weaving through the entrance and sweeping every possible corner/elevation within that room.....but that's just my take on the issue. One day they'll have devices for seeing right through the walls that are inexpensive enough for you and me to experiment with, but for now, that peephole thing is as good as painting a target over your eye......unless you just want to use it for playing pranks on friends who won't shoot back.