Just bought the Big Bruiser, that was the easy part, batteries not so easy

deckofficer

Newly Enlightened
Took 10 minutes to place the order for the Big Bruiser flashlight after 4 hours researching what I wanted in pocket-able LED light. Took over an hour to find a suitable 26650 battery. I wanted to use A123 because I have designed electric vehicles around this powerhouse of a battery, but it is the typical 3.2 volt nominal, so had to search for the 3.7 volt cells. Found a great high capacity 4000 mAh, only to read the spec sheet and discover a limit of 1.0C for discharge. Well, that wont fly with the current draw of the Bruiser, so after more searching found a 3600 mAh that was rated at 5.0C, ordered two, plus a fast charger (because it has a 1.0C charge rate), plus battery holder. I do wish Elektro Lumens would stock proper batteries and charger for their lights, but o-well.

Bob

tolkaze

Enlightened
Its not just EL that should stock cells, there are a lot of people designing and building lights with alternate power sources. I guess the best option would be to at least post links to good resources to cells.

I'm wondering if the 26650 from 4sevens would do the same job. they have the 26650 for the x10 and the s12, with the one for the X10 being possibly a standard cell, and the one for the S12 being a higher discharge cell...

if anyone could clear up the differences, they are reasonably cheap, with chargers and free postage.

deckofficer

Newly Enlightened
tolkaze,

I've been reading so much on this forum I can't say for sure about 4seven's batteries, but I do remember reading posts about a number of batteries that just won't work with the Bruiser. When I went on the search for batteries, if the web site didn't have spec sheets for the battery's they offer, I just went to another site. This one has specs https://www.batteryspace.com/High-P...argeable-Cell-3.6V-3600mAh-13Wh-18A-Rate.aspx and is where I picked a couple of batteries for the Bruiser.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The 26550's for the 4sevens lights don't have the 9 amp go go juice the BB needs...you want to get the one's Elektro Lumens links to.

I bought them directly from EL when I got the BB to make it easier.

:D

Of course, they are out of stock at EL's site...now.

Look for:

Moli (LiMn02) IMR-26700A 2900mAh 3.8V

All the ones I see look like they have a brown wrapper:

oops, no links allowed.

Last edited:

380long

Newly Enlightened
deckofficer, About 2 months ago I went through what you are going through trying to find batteries for the Big Bruiser...so allow me to help you! 4sevens batteries for the S12 will not work, I have the S12 and the batteries and that's a no go. Wayne did have 26700's and they work great and i'm sure he'll get more...check with nailbender here on the forum as he may have some 26650's in stock that will work. Part number NCM-26650-5C / product ID #6459 from batteryspace.com will work as I have these batteries for my Big Bruiser. Kingkong 26650's from intl-outdoor.com will work also as I have these for my light too, you need to buy 3 I think for free shipping. Do not buy any Keygos from ebay as they may not work, I have 2 and only one will work in the BB. I hope this helps you out, I use the 4sevens single bay charger to charge my batteries.

deckofficer

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the tips. I just bought a no name from a site that had spec sheets, 3,600 mAh with a 5.0C discharge rate, so it can dump 18 amps without harm to the battery. I wanted a 4,000 mAh cell, but it only had a 1.0C discharge rate.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Until they make the Panasonic CGR18650CH's in 26650 size, the King Kong batteries are the way to go. Wayne sent one after I tested the generic MOLI's and they... well take a look at the runtime chart in my BB review and you can see for yourself. Wayne should be stocking these now.

Cheers,
Tim

deckofficer

Newly Enlightened
I'll post run times of the Powerizer 3,600mAr that I bought for $9.50. Have to keep batteries that work in the Bruiser bumped so new Bruiser owners don't waste time ordering all the ones that will not work.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thx, I'd be interested to see how those hold up and I'll cross-reference it in my review (if you don't mind) so others can easily have a consolidated info on the batteries. Being a direct drive light, the quality of the cell makes all the difference in the world on how the BB performs.

deckofficer

Newly Enlightened
Yep, I think the Bruiser is the stick shift hot rod of the light set, and by all means, share the info as it all takes time to do cold searches. Too bad the forum frowns upon links, never been a member of a forum that doesn't allow links.