JetBeam PA10 vs Klarus XT1A vs Fenix LD10: My 2 Lumens

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The following summary is based on data available from manufacturers. I did not include data on intensity or distance as they were available only for the LD10: JetBeam does not seem be providing this data based on the primary cell and Klarus doesn't seem to provide it at all (unless I missed it on their website).

JETBEAM PA10
Led: CREE XM-L T6
Outputs:
650 lumens (30min) on 1x14500 Li-ion
140 lumen (1h 30min); 55 lumen (5h 15min); 18 lumen (20h 15m); 1 lumen (90h) + strobe and SOS on 1xAA
Maximum runtime: up to 90 hours
Operation: forward clicky and bezel rotation – memory on the daily mode
Battery: 1xAA (all modes) or 14500 Li-ion rechargeable battery (only 1 mode)
Dimensions: Tube diameter 22.5mm, Total length 109mm
Weight: 65g (without battery)

KLARUS XT1A
Led: CREE XM-G R5
Outputs:
150 lumen (1h); 30 lumen (6h); 50 lumen (50h) + strobe
Maximum runtime: up to
Operation: dual forward clicky – no memory
Battery: 1xAA
Dimensions: diameter 24mm (head) and 22.6mm (body), length 116mm
Weight: 53g (without battery)

FENIX LD10
Led: CREE XM-G R5
Outputs:
100 lumen (1h 48min); 45 lumen (4h 40min); 13 lumen (11h); 3 lumen (70h) + strobe and SOS
Maximum runtime: up to 70 hours
Operation: reverse clicky and bezel rotation – no memory
Battery: 1xAA
Dimensions: diameter 21.5mm, length 100mm
Weight: 54g (without battery)

Here are my 2 lumen on these three 1xAA flashlights.
JETBEAM PA10
What I like
Out of the three lights is probably my favorite. I really like the different outputs and the fact that daily mode has a memory.
I also like the squishy clicky: 3 weeks ago I would have said exactly the contrary but after getting used to it I find it really easy and comfortable to operate.
I've used it with Energizer L91 and it displays all output modes just fine.
It's a matter of taste but I find the design and finish simply great.
It can run 14500 Li-ions with a very bright output – 650 according to the manufacturer. There is no independent review out there yet to confirm this data.
Note: when running 14500 Li-ions only the 650-lumen output level is available. The lower output levels cannot be accessed.

What I don't like

There are no light accessories such as diffusers and filters. The Fenix Camping Lampshade fits perfectly but in my opinion its use as a diffuser is limited, unlike other Fenix diffusers which do not fit the JetBeam PA10 and PA20.

What I would have liked to be different
I find cycling through the different modes very easy on this light but as mentioned by several users in other thread, it would have been much nicer to have the strobe and SOS hidden and it would have been possible to access the strobe with the bezel tightened.
Note: the daily mode was initially called user-defined mode and JetBeam seem to have changed the name on their website, probably because it was misleading.
It would have been great if all the output modes were available with a 14500 Li-ion. For me is not a big issue as I bought this flashlight having it primarily as AA in mind and as I said I consider the fact that it runs on 14500 Li-ions as a big plus. Other people might consider this as a big minus though.
I think I would have preferred it with XM-G R5 rather than with CREE XM-L T6: I wasn't sure but I'm starting to think think I like throw over flood: maybe when I use with a 14500 I'll change my mind.
The tint is just a tad too greenish, more than for the PA20, but it might be my own PA10.

KLARUS XT1A
What I like
The most remarkable feature of this light is definitely the dual forward clicky and the user-friendly UI: out of the three flashlights, it's the only one that allows for true one-handed operation without having to change grip to twist the bezel. h
It has no memory and it always goes on on high; thanks to the dual tail-cap switch cycling through the three modes is extremely easy.
The strobe is somewhat hidden as it is activated only by pressing the secondary mode switch either as a momentary on or as a permanent mode when the light is switched on.
Surprisingly enough, the XT1A is able to stand on a flat and even surface: it basically tailstands on its main switch and is not more wobbly than the PA10 and LD10 are! I doubt the XT2A would be able to tailstand too, considering it size and weight.
There are two Klarus diffusers, one white and one red, available for the XT1A, XT2A, and XT1C models – they do not fit the XT2C as this model has a larger head and body diameter.
Even though the light always goes on on high, you can transition to the medium level in a fraction of a second and just see a flash of the higher output: just position your thumb over both switches and press them simultaneously. This can be a drawback too though as you can accidentally press the two switches simultaneously and find yourself with only 30 lumen even if you wanted to have 150!
I've used it with the Energizer L91 and it displays all output modes just fine.
It's over 110mm long which, in my opinion, makes it easier to hold in the hand.

What I don't like
There is no clip, even if the clip is advertised as included on the packaging. I also remember it being advertised on the Klarus website but it seems to have been removed now. I'm not a clip maniac but I like to have at least the option to clip it into a pocket! I don't know how Klarus managed to mess this one up. Marketing aside, I hope they are not so delusional to think the lights from the XT series would be used exclusively by police and military special units to kick down doors, blind bad guys, and free innocent hostage. Or else they have watched too many movies!!!

Probably I would have liked to have 4 output modes and have them spaced better. And I don't think this would have impacted the user-friendly UI at all as it would have meant pressing the mode switch one more time to cycle through to the lowest output level! Having 4 output modes instead of 3 would have also allowed to improve runtimes which on the XT1A are not that impressive. In a lot of scenarios 30 lumen may not be enough so you have no choice but to stay on the high mode which according to Klarus only has a 1-hour runtime.
I wouldn't have minded to see some minor and non-aggressive bezel crenelation to let the light bleed out in case the flashlight is placed head down on a flat surface when still on.

FENIX LD10

What I like
Much has already been written about this great light so I can't say much else about it. I just included in this post to compare it to the newer lights.
I could be wrong but, R5 aside, I think the current version of LD10 (with added clip and knurling) came out over 4 year at the end of 2008: I personally find that four years later this light is still kicking ***. I had read in one review on the R4 that it had a higher output than rated by Fenix and it actually was almost as bright as the LD20. I don't have the knowledge or the tools to measure the lumen output of the R5 but I can say that it seems to be roughly as bright as the XT1A and the PA10, maybe even a tad brighter.
I was able to buy mine for 45 euros: considering the LD12 has come out, this light is still holding its price. It's cheaper than the XT1A and PA10 which I bought for roughly 54 and 59 euros respectively. All three prices are without shipping though.
Fenix offers a whole range of accessories for its LD series which makes this light even more versatile.
Fenix do not state it on their website but by all accounts it runs on 14500 Li-ion rechargeable batteries – on Turbo mode only just like the PA10. The difference is, in the LD10 manual Fenix warn against using 14500 batteries as it might damage the circuit: using a 14500 might void your warranty.

What I don't like

The knurling over the body could have been improved over the years and the recess for the clip could have been designed better.

Probably the same as everybody else: forward clicky, hidden SOS, moonlight mode, maybe memory on the general mode but without losing the ability to tailstand and most of all without adding an horrible side switch.... :whistle:

CONCLUSION
My first real LED flashlight was a Nitecore Defender bought in August 2010. Then in December 2012 I decided to buy a 2xAA and 1xAA lights from the same series of some good manufacturer – I wanted to have the 2 flashlights with the same UI and spent over a month researching the web reading hundreds of threads, reviews, specs on manufacturers sites etc. I had shortly used the LD20 that I had given as a present to my father and was impressed by the light. In the end I found out about the JetBeam PA and Klarus XT series and I made my mind up in favor of the PA20 and PA10. If I could only get 2 lights, these are still the ones I would get. The reason is, they are very similar to the Fenix LD10 and LD20 but offer most of what I would have liked to see on these lights: a forward clicky, memory on the daily (general mode), and the ability to tailstand - even if they are wobbly. They have good runtimes, moonlight mode and I find the modes are spaced decently well (more on the PA10 than the PA20)! :thumbsup:
Unfortunately the flashing modes are not hidden but I don't find it a big deal considering it's easy to cycle through them.
In the end I got the bug, the sickness, couldn't stop staring at pictures of these lights on the Internet so I ended up getting them all… :devil:
There don't seem to be detailed reviews around yet on the PA10 and XT1A as they are relatively new and I would have liked to find more information when I was trying to decide whether to buy them or not. I thought I might share "my 2 lumens" on them hoping that it will help other people decide whether these are the flashlights they want.

___

August 31 Update: as a result of the threa by Malojie [see http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?343372-JETBEAM-PC10-program-modes] I realized for the first time that with the PA10, even with the bezel tightened, if you soft-press the forward clicky twice or switch off and on again, the daily mode (which I would have expected be enabled only with the head is loosened) will still cycle through in the background. That means that even if the last time you used the daily mode you used the Medium setting and expect the Medium setting to be stored, if you loosen the belzel, your daily mode will be in another output level. For a light which is supposed to have a memory on the secondary mode, I find this to be a drawback if not a major disappointment. As a result my preference on the lights described in this 2 lumens review is as follows:
1) LD10 - despite of being an old design and not having a forward clicky this light boasts a more than respectable lumens/runtime ratio, it is reliable, and it is rugged.
2) PA10 - it remains a good light despite of weak anodizing, a non-impressive clip (better than the LD10), and most of all it loses all the modes except for Turbo on Li-on batteries.
3) XT1A - It comes in last. It still is a good light but considering the poor runtime, the lack of pocket clip, and the fact that it used to ship with an holster that was too small, it could never be first place. It's still worth considering if your priority is a AA small light that always comes on high and has easy access to strobe.
Aside from the above considerations, the LD10 would be first personal preference out of the three lights.
I just thought it would be fair to have this update.

____
I'm going to post pics of the 3 lights shortly. :wave:

And here are some pics!
From top to bottom: Fenix LD10, JetBeam PA10, Klarus XT1A

PA10_XT1A_LD10 by Labrador77, on Flickr

From left to right: Fenix LD10, Klarus XT1A, JetBeam PA10

PA10_XT1A_LD10_02 by Labrador77, on Flickr

Last edited:

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool review!

Here's my take as well :)

1. PA10 - I really loved this light, this has the best output among the single 14500 lights. 650 lumens, Most 14500's are in the 200 to 450 range only. The only thing bad about this light is that it will not change modes when running on 14500 as this would indicate directly driven LED bypassing the regulation circuit.

2. XT1A - this shares the same interface as the popular XT10 light of Klarus, this is easily a fan favorite in terms of interface as its a no-nonsense duty light without having to worry which mode it is on because it always comes on on high, and its SOS is just a press away on the mode switch. Cons, it has noticeable PWM and the SOS in the electronic mode switch would indicate that this light might have significant paracitic drain.

3. LD10 - this is a solidly built fenix duty light. It may not be the best out there, but easily a classic. It has since been replaced by the LD12 with a side switch, but then, it would all boil down to preferenceses. Love it or Hate it (on the LD12)

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
i havent read everything [sic!] what you guys have written but this is the kind of review which i find very helpful and interesting. thanks so much!!
good job!

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks a lot both! :)

@roadkill1109
As you seem to have the PA10, I wanted to ask you what if you have a very greenish tint. Mine does and I'm wondering if it is just mine or if it's what you get with a PA10.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have all of the Klarus XT series lights and even though they are PWM lights I can not detect it by eye on any of them in any setting

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didnt notice any green tint. Must be of a different bin.

Thanks a lot both! :)

@roadkill1109
As you seem to have the PA10, I wanted to ask you what if you have a very greenish tint. Mine does and I'm wondering if it is just mine or if it's what you get with a PA10.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didnt notice any green tint. Must be of a different bin.
Thanks a lot. I guess I wasn't very lucky! I also asked someone else and I got the same reply: no greenish tint nor rings! I think I may have gotten a bad one and that maybe I should ask to exchange it.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't remember a dark spot on PA10 but I was so obsessed with figuring out whether the beam was supposed to be that ringy that I may have never noticed a dark spot.
I'll check tonight and let you know! :)

Last edited:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have just checked and my PA10 does have a dark spot in the middle. I had never noticed it before!!!
I'm not sure how that will look outdoors cos I have used my PA10 mostly in the house so far.

Sensination

Newly Enlightened
Thanks!! I was about to send it back but I guess there is no point now. I'm really surprised as my PC20 has a really clear and nice beam so it is pretty annoying.
Anyway my EDC will probably be Fenix PD22 as I managed to find good quality CR123 rechargeable 3.0V so I'll have small, powerful and economical light.

Too badd it's somewhere between Hong Kong and London :/

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have checked my PC20 and there doesn´t seem to be any dark spot. The one on the PA10 does not seem to be that visible. To be truly honest I´m not sure if a tiny dark spot affects the light beam or is something that is mostly annoying on white walls. I´d imagine if very small, wouldn´t be a big deal.
If it bothers you though, I think you should chance it and try to replace your PA10. I did it hoping to get rid of the rings and the squarish beam but it was the same, if anything the previous one did not have a dark spot... :)

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Great review!!!

Don't forget, the PA10 is only 650 lumens if you pop in a 14500. And if you do decide to pop in the 14500, it becomes a single-mode light, meaning you'll be stuck at 650lm with no low modes. Nearly fell for this light until I watched a vid on youtube.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

EDIT: This was already mentioned by kill1109, my bad :)

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks HaileStorm. : )

Actually I had mentioned it in my first post too.

[...]
Outputs
:
650 lumens (30min) on 1x14500 Li-ion
140 lumen (1h 30min); 55 lumen (5h 15min); 18 lumen (20h 15m); 1 lumen (90h) + strobe and SOS on 1xAA
[...]

I find cycling through the different modes very easy on this light but as mentioned by several users in other thread, it would have been much nicer to have the strobe and SOS hidden and it would have been possible to access the strobe with the bezel tightened.
Note: the daily mode was initially called user-defined mode and JetBeam seem to have changed the name on their website, probably because it was misleading.
It would have been great if all the output modes were available with a 14500 Li-ion. For me is not a big issue as I bought this flashlight having it primarily as AA in mind and as I said I consider the fact that it runs on 14500 Li-ions as a big plus. Other people might consider this as a big minus though.

In any case, I agree someone who never heard of the PA10 before might miss this detail and I think it is an important one - I always mention it when I recommend this ligth!
I've edited my post adding "Note: when running 14500 Li-ions only the 650-lumen output level is available. The lower output levels cannot be accessed." so that it cannot be missed.

Cheers,

L

HaileStorm

Enlightened
That's a double-whammie for me then, haha! :D Thanks for your review!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

vikingr

Newly Enlightened
Fenix do not state it on their website but by all accounts it runs on 14500 Li-ion rechargeable batteries – on Turbo mode only just like the PA10.

Hi,

thank you for this comparative review. I have the LD10 and I am considering getting the PA10 now :D

Regarding the use of 14500 in the LD10: I've just checked the manual and it states (bottom right corner)

Avoid the use of 14500 rechargeable Lithium batteries or damage will be caused to the light circuit.

I am no expert (I actually just recently caught the flashlight bug) and I just wanted throw this in, as it might void someone's warranty if the use 14500s and the light breaks or something.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am quite sure if you fried your LD10 while using the 14500 the warranty wouldn´t cover for it. On the other hand, I´ve read plenty of people saying they used the LD10 with a 14500 battery and didn´t have a problem. I did it myself and it worked fine.
I use my JetBeam PC20 with 17670 most of the time and it´s not stated as one of the compatible batteries in the manual. If it died, JetBeam warranty would probably be void: I take the risk because it saves me money. I don't use the LD10 with a 14500 that much anymore because I have other lights that use Lio-on batteries, including the PA10.
Thanks for mentioning though, I had never noticed that warning in the LD10 manul: I´ll edit my initial post so that people who read are aware of it.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone ever run the Klarus XT1A on a 14500?
I'm loath to try it since I really don't feel like frying mine.

fanucci

Newly Enlightened
thanks for this share...now, i can decide which among the 3 i'll buy.

cheers!!!