Maglite 2D LED 2nd Gen Battery stuck, please help

elseis66

Newly Enlightened
I was checkng all of my rarely used lights this morning and discovered that my 2D 2nd gen MAG LED had a leaking batteries and the battery closest to the head is jammed. I have not been able to find out how or if I can remove the switch in order to remove the cell. Can someone point me in the right direction. The cell was a rayovac, does anyone know if they will replace the lght? Thanks.

kj2

Flashaholic
I have a PDF, where you can see, how to remove every part. I thought I got it from the Maglite website.

- Remove switch seal, then with the HEX wrench unscrew the switch, push the switch-button down, and push the switch to the front of the light.

Last edited:

Whopper

Newly Enlightened
Hey Folks. I'm new. Maglite has contracts with Duracell (and two other mfrs that I don't remember) to repair or replace your Maglite due to battery leakage. You send your lite (including batteries) to Maglite and viola! A new one shows up in your mailbox. I just sent two 3xAA LEDs to them (LEDs seem to be the worst) and just got new ones from Maglite. No questions asked. I've tried the lag screw, baking soda, etc. Just send it back. Priority USPS was about $5.50 ($2.80 for them to send them back). I'm going to try felt washers soaked in car battery terminal spray on the ends of the + battery end. Stay tuned.

El Camino

Newly Enlightened
That is probably Mag-lite's most impressive feature. How many other companies (flashlight or otherwise) do this?

I figure led lights have corrosion problems due to long run times, the batteries are not used as quickly so they leak before they are replaced. This is one reason some people store the batteries separately if they know the light isn't going to be used often.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
- Remove switch seal, then with the HEX wrench unscrew the switch, push the switch-button down, and push the switch to the front of the light.
i see you never took mag apart, have you?

there is a retaining ring right in front of the switch, you can't remove it with switch in place (at least so the switch isn't damaged), and you can't push switch out towards the head, with ring in place.

Wordsthoughts

Newly Enlightened
My 2D led mag had batteries that leaked and got stuck too. I was able to get the 1st one out but not the second. I called Duracell and they didn't ask me to send it in. They issued me a gift card so I can buy a new one. Hopefully, I will be able to salvage the old one since I still have it.

Latest posts