Keep My Zebralight or try d11.2

Mgizler

Enlightened
Well guys, I need some advice as I am not sure what to do. I have my third Zebralight SC51 that I'm once again not sure if I should keep or sell. I love these lights but the one thing that keeps me from using it as my EDC light is the fact that I have to lockout the tailcap to prevent an accidental turn on in my pocket. I have tried tons of other lights, Nitecore, Surefire, Fenix, HDS, etc... and I'm still in the hunt for a great EDC light.

I love the HDS and its usually my main EDC light but sometimes its a little too cumbersome for my pocket with everything else in there. So a while back I tried the D11 and loved it until it started randomly turning on in my pocket. Could not figure out what was going on with it and ended up selling it on the marketplace. With that being said, I love the size and look of the New D11.2 but have been reading so much negative press on it that I am afraid I will end up with another D11 that was faulty and frustrating.

So I need some suggestions. I want an AA light that has decent output (at least 100lumens) and also has a nice Low setting to use to check on the kids at night. Definitely like simplicity, I carry a fenix pd30 at work to a few steps to get what I need is not a problem.

Lights I have been considering

Sunwayman V10a
Nitecore D11.2
Fenix LD10

Or just nix the whole Idea and keep the Zebralight, suck it up and lockout the tailcap. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks in advance

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sunwayman V10a gets my vote, lower low, pick the brightness while the light is off and will run on a 14500 without glitches.
I like XML led, the v10a has that option ;)

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a Quark AA? Or maybe get the Quark X AA^2 and a 1xAA tube with the 14500 for over 300 lumen highs. Quarks are on sale now due to rebranding and you can get one in the low $40s. The Fenix doesn't go very low (3 lm). Quarks and ZLs are going to have the longest runtimes on moonlight, and 4Sevens has the best warranty.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like Zebralights, how about a Zebralight SC80?

The interface and beam shape on the SC80 is just like that on the SC51, but the tint on the SC80 is better. Even better the SC80 has a stiffer, smaller and deeply recessed switch. There's zero chance the light will accidentally turn on in your pocket so tailcap lockout isn't necessary. Its knurling is just right and feels great in the hand. Only thing worse about it compared to an SC51 is that it's quite a bit fatter and heavier.

If you want something brighter, I'd recommend getting a Sunwayman V10r (or maybe waiting for a Sunwayman V11r). If you want something really small, but not so bright maybe get an Eagletac D25c, or wait for a D25c clicky.

Mgizler

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies guys. I do like the zebralight mode configuration, however there is something that continues to pull me towards a infinitely variable light.

The SC80 definitely sounds like a winner all around. I still worry about the light coming on in the pocket. I tend to carry alot in my pockets and have even had the SC51 turn on in my back pocket with nothing else in it but the light. I started to feel extreme heat on the cheeks.

The Eagle tac looks nice but I do prefer a clicky.

Keep the suggestions coming guys.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies guys. I do like the zebralight mode configuration, however there is something that continues to pull me towards a infinitely variable light.

The SC80 definitely sounds like a winner all around. I still worry about the light coming on in the pocket. I tend to carry alot in my pockets and have even had the SC51 turn on in my back pocket with nothing else in it but the light. I started to feel extreme heat on the cheeks.

The Eagle tac looks nice but I do prefer a clicky.

Keep the suggestions coming guys.

There's absolutely zero chance the SC80 will ever accidentally come on in your pocket no matter what you have in there. A V10r or D11.2 is more likely to accidentally turn on in your pocket than an SC80.

Danielight

Enlightened
Sunwayman V10a gets my vote, lower low, pick the brightness while the light is off and will run on a 14500 without glitches.
I like XML led, the v10a has that option ;)
I just ordered the V10A with XML, along with a 14500 ... looks like a great little light with a big punch! I thought about ordering a D11.2, but heard there were some unresolved issues with that light. I also was more torn between the Sunwayman and Zebralight SC80w, but liked the really low Low on the V10A, coupled with the really high High on 14500s. Am looking forward to get the Sunwayman next week. :D

Vesper

Enlightened
All lights can come on in your pocket if you tend to carry tons of stuff in there. If carrying the light a lot, locking out is a good option regardless of the situation. If you're constantly using the light, maybe consider a small holster for your belt?

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like Zebralights as backups for other lights. The Sc600 is always in the side pocket of my Carhartts.
While at work, and an HDS clipped to my cellphone holder as a main.
When not at work it's the Sunwayman V10a and a Zebralight H30 locked out in my pocket ;)

Danielight

Enlightened
CarpentryHero, do you find it necessary to lock out your V10A, or is that just a precaution? Do you slightly unscrew the head?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I don't believe it would ever be necessary to lock out the D11.2. The force required to push this piston is considerable.

Geoff