JetBeam PA10 Beamshot: Need Your Advice Please

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

I wanted to take a picture of the PA10 so I placed it very close to the wall: I noticed that bluish beamspill has outer irregular edges: does not make a clean circle; in fact, in certain points the edges of the side spill are somewhat squared off.
I took a pic of the beamshot (below) using AA (not 14500) - on the embedded picture is not as clearly visible but if you click on the picture and open it in its original size of Flickr is more visible (still less than with the naked eye). I wanted to ask your opinion if this is something to be expected or if it is some sort of defect? I don't have it on any other flashlight but this is the only XM-L I have. Could it mean that the LED is not perfectly centered?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

PA10 close-up beamshot against wall by Labrador77, on Flickr

Last edited:

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
My PA10 has a small donut hole in the middle. But my JB BA10 has a SOLID hot spot, and on a 14500, it seems just as bright, or maybe a touch brighter...

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks both. In the end I decided to return my PA10 for a replacement.
I didn't mind the rings as I expected a few. I didn't mind the greenish tint that much either but the outer edges of the spill having long dark spots may me think it was too much. I could be wrong as I don't own other XM-L TD6 flashlight to compare but after all I don't see why I should buy a new flashlight and put up with that kind of artifact. Hopefully I'll be a tad luckier with the replacement.

nathan225

Newly Enlightened
I would not worry about it doesn't look very bad to me and I have a few lights that have a little off center leds but it is very little and not very noticeable outside

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading quite a few old threads and looking closely at the reflector I don't think the beam defect was caused by the led not being centered. I think it may have been caused by the straight bottom section being too long.
I noticed the dark edges of the spill matched the shape and position of the XML so in way, by directing the flashlight against a wall, the beam was sort of square - at least the bright part - with the orientation of the sides matching exactly the orientation of the XML.

It's just a guess based on reports of bad beam by other people as well as the dark spots locations on the edges of the spill.

mcantu

Newly Enlightened
have have a PA10 also and noticed the same thing. i figured out that the 'clipped corners' come from the raised portions of the strike bezel. mine definately doesnt have a greenish tint though...

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
have have a PA10 also and noticed the same thing. i figured out that the 'clipped corners' come from the raised portions of the strike bezel. mine definately doesnt have a greenish tint though...
Thanks so I'm not the only one who had that: now I know I'm not going crazy!
Customer service from the online store where I bought the PA10 also suggested the same thing but I have a PA20 and there are no clipped corners so the crenelation should not be the problem. It's true that the PA10 has a different
reflector and LED but the "clipped corners" don't match the pattern of the crenelation. The greenish tint might be more towards a dark yellow and appear greenish because the white walls in my house are somewhat "creamy" white.

We either got a PA10 from "bad" batches or they are all the same. I have talked to some PA10 owners who not only swear not to have this problem but claim not to have any rings either so not all PA10s on the market have these issue!

Sensination

Newly Enlightened
Hey Labrador72, did your PA10 had a small doughnut in the middle of the beam? I tried to tale a photo but it's too small to see it really.