Mag 1D Tigerlight Mod (kinda long)

Sproing

Newly Enlightened
Yesterday I received as part of a group buy, a couple of Mag 2D lights that have been cut down to a nifty 1D size. Here is a pic beside some other lights so you can see the size difference.

Left to right: SilverLegacy HID Mag, Mag 1D, Mag 2C, Mag 2D
fac43c6b.jpg

While comparing the different lights, I noticed the SilverLegacy HID is similar in size to the 1D. The HID light uses a very nicely made battery holder that holds 4 x 123 batteries. It can also hold 2 Pila 168S Li-Ion batteries (very tight fit).

fac43c03.jpg

Since I didn't have any idea what battery config to use for the 1D, I decided to try the SilverLegacy holder in it. The holder ended being too long for the 1D even with the tailcap spring removed. The tailcap would not screw onto the light but I only needed an extra 5mm or so.

I dropped the switch out of the Mag to see if I could scrounge the extra 5mm there. I noticed that the battery contact spring is recessed into the plastic and that all that extra plastic really wasn't necessary. So I used my trusty dremel and cut all the extra plastic off, in hopes that it would give me the room I needed.

Here is a pic of the modified switch beside a stock switch. I circled the part I cut off in red:
fac43c50.jpg

I reinstalled the switch and tried the battery holder again .. and it fit! The tailcap screwed down all the way but only without the stock tailcap spring. I sanded the anodizing off the bottom of the tailcap and installed a smaller spring to contact the bottom of the battery holder holder.

fac43c34.jpg

The tailcap screwed down nicely and a quick test with the multimeter indicated everything was good to go. Not having anything else handy that would work well with this battery config, I just dropped in a Tigerlight lamp assembly.

Bam! The thing lit up to full Tigerlight brightness! Now I have a Blue 7.5" Tigerlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think these battery holders give the Mag 1D a lot of potential. I'm thinking of trying a Mag 1D + 4xSF123 + 5W Lux + Downboy 1.5A + Hotlips-D heatsink combo. It might also work well with some of the Welch-Allyn superbulbs.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice! Damn, I wish I had bought one of these. I've got just the mod and no body to go into.

Wilkey

Sproing

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. The tigerlight lamp isn't the most exciting mod to put in but it was the most convenient since I had it handy and it just drops right in.

Tiger cub huh? I like it.. Smaller than a Tigerlight, bites just as hard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW,

How bright is the HID unit compared to your TigerCub?

Wilkey

Sproing

Newly Enlightened
I think the HID is still quite a bit brighter. The hotspot of the HID is very piercing and throws quite a bit farther than the Tigerlight. I measured the hotspot at over 30,000 lux at the brightest part. Not to mention the HID is whiter and is just plain cool.

I'm pretty sure a Solarc ballast would fit in the Mag 1D but the bulb pedestal would have to be removed. The inside diameter of the mag body would also have to be increased slightly.

Latest posts