RMA#3 another Klarus XT11 defect. This time flickering. (resolved)

ledmitter

Enlightened
Check this out.

jhvkae.jpg

The rubber gasket (or could be a giant O ring) sealing the reflector body to the heatsink body doesn't seem to be seated right. On mine it follows the outline drawn in the picture.

Inspect yours. Does it look the same or is yours seated uniformly all the way around?

Last edited:

igabo

Enlightened
Mine is uniform all the way around. No exposed gasket. You should contacr klarus or the dealer. Let us know how it goes

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Klarus XT11 defects. Bad gaskets?

That is bad.

Can you unscrew the head and reseat the o-ring? It looks like it has been pulled out of the groove it should be sitting in.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk

Sent from my annoying phone app which inserts stupid tag lines into my posts when the user can quite easily disable this feature - if only the brain were engaged.

ledmitter

Enlightened

That is bad.

Can you unscrew the head and reseat the o-ring? It looks like it has been pulled out of the groove it should be sitting in.

Nope. I think these are machine pressed.

The gasket doesn't rest on the main ridge groove per say, it's more on the inside edge of the groove, but not further into the head like 90% of the rest of it; this enlarged pic is the best I can do:

2w3dw8g.jpg

Inspect yours closely.

Incidentally I threw the light into a tub of water for a few hours to test if it's still waterproof. So far no shorts.

I'll be curious to see if any condensation or steam occurs on the lens after heating and cooling. :D

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

The head probably is threaded but would have been red-thread-locked together. It won't come off easily - you'd need a lot of heat and some strap wrenches, in which case there's a high risk of damaging it. Best just send it back if that's possible.

TEEJ

Flashaholic

I just looked at mine, its perfect too...so you should talk to Klarus and/or where you got it from about it. If its machine pressed for example, its not like you'd be able to fix it with hand tools, etc....and if a gasket is pinched, etc, you'd need a new one anyway, etc.

In either case, it loos like it would be a bad assembly job rather than a bad gasket....as to get that effect, the gasket would need to be installed that way....rather than it all being good, and then the gasket moving to that orientation...as a failure mode.

Flashlight Enthusiast

RMA it and get a replacement

I have owned 5 of them and all are perfect

ledmitter

Enlightened

The head probably is threaded but would have been red-thread-locked together. It won't come off easily - you'd need a lot of heat and some strap wrenches, in which case there's a high risk of damaging it. Best just send it back if that's possible.

Yeah it probably is threaded, you're right. If it's also thread locked then it should be enough to help ensure waterproofing if the O ring failed. It appears to be in there tight and compressed against all edges.

ledmitter

Enlightened

As others have said, not normal.

I might stick with it given the light performs well, the LED is dead centered (hate lights where it's not and i've seen many) and so far hasn't shorted being soaked in water. You can't really see defect unless you look for it.

I'd probably RMA it if the unit was an absolute must have keeper like one of the Moddoolar's, but the short high output run times sets the XT11 back guaranteeing new lights will be picked up in the near future. I can get all OCD over those then.

StriderSMF

Newly Enlightened

I would definitely send it back for a new one that could become a problem and these are such awesome lights you dont want one that has an exposed gasket.

Flashlight Enthusiast

I might stick with it given the light performs well, the LED is dead centered (hate lights where it's not and i've seen many) and so far hasn't shorted being soaked in water. You can't really see defect unless you look for it.

I'd probably RMA it if the unit was an absolute must have keeper like one of the Moddoolar's, but the short high output run times sets the XT11 back guaranteeing new lights will be picked up in the near future. I can get all OCD over those then.

80 bucks man...it is worth getting it perfect...send the ol' goat back :D

ledmitter

Enlightened

Why the heck NOT?

:shrug:

Because the novelty of something new quickly wears off. It's not really a big deal. I'm confident the gasket (although not seated perfectly) is still doing what it's supposed to. It's form fitting rubber after all.

I remember buying a tablet computer and a piece of foam cutout was not centered on its front facing camera. Obsessed about it for awhile then got over it because the camera wasn't being blocked. It's 3 months later and I actually could give two shiets about the tablet now in general. The novelty just wears off. It does what it's supposed to and after reading what's coming up in the near future it's already looking obsolete. :D

The light will be used, could very well be dropped some day, maybe onto concrete, perhaps embedded into someones jaw, it's also anodized so you know it's going to get scratched and worn down from carrying. Just more imperfections to look forward to later. I'll be treating it as a disposable tool and not as an ornament.

I wouldn't think this way with a 1,400 lumen pocket Moddoolar or a Kenji light however.....

Last edited:

SAKplumber

Newly Enlightened
It looks like the o-ring just moved out of the groove when end was tightened. Is the o-ring deformed now, or you can lube it up with o-ring grease and tighten it back up. Possibly replace the o-ring?

I work with that stuff all the time, but if I couldn't fix it I'd send it back, personally.

StriderSMF

Newly Enlightened

Because the novelty of something new quickly wears off. It's not really a big deal. I'm confident the gasket (although not seated perfectly) is still doing what it's supposed to. It's form fitting rubber after all.

I remember buying a tablet computer and a piece of foam cutout was not centered on its front facing camera. Obsessed about it for awhile then got over it because the camera wasn't being blocked. It's 3 months later and I actually could give two shiets about the tablet now in general. The novelty just wears off. It does what it's supposed to and after reading what's coming up in the near future it's already looking obsolete. :D

The light will be used, could very well be dropped some day, maybe onto concrete, perhaps embedded into someones jaw, it's also anodized so you know it's going to get scratched and worn down from carrying. Just more imperfections to look forward to later. I'll be treating it as a disposable tool and not as an ornament.

I wouldn't think this way with a 1,400 lumen pocket Moddoolar or a Kenji light however.....
do you work for another light company this is smelling like a setup :naughty: send it back an exposed gasket is no good. why buy any new light with that logic sure something better is always around the corner but im not keeping a light with a crunched exposed gasket that cant be fixed.

luvbelly

Newly Enlightened

No problems with any of my Klarus lights. Sending it back is a personal decision but I probably wouldn't. If it passed the water soak, performs well, and has no other issues I'd keep it. Like you, I use my flashlights as a tool and they get used, abused, and generally worn anyway. I actually prefer lights with the character a little bit of use can add. Makes you feel less bad when you drop them or use them to "get peoples attention".

SAKplumber

Newly Enlightened
It looks like the o-ring just moved out of the groove when end was tightened. Is the o-ring deformed now, or you can lube it up with o-ring grease and tighten it back up. Possibly replace the o-ring?

I work with that stuff all the time, but if I couldn't fix it I'd send it back, personally.

This is what I pull o-rings out with, with out tearing them up.
b82d231d-7a30-9d60.jpg