Software & Resources that improve your Windows OS

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
In Another Thread, I was talking about how stable my Windows 98SE is, and I started to talk about other software that I use that seems to make my OS more reliable and stable.

I thought I would share my resources with yall, and hopefully you would do the same.

Just to give you a philosophy on me, I still think in "DOS" where less is better. Even though many things are supposed to run in a multi tasking world, I still think LESS is BETTER, so you won't find a million things in my Windows startup.

Also, my experience is based on my work PC, that I use 8-12 hours a day, so it gets a good workout, and is on a Novell Network.

Cacheman

Years ago, I found, got excited over, and actually purchased a program called MemTurbo. While I still love the concept of what this program does, I found that my system was unstable and ran slower with Memturbo on it, and found that it worked better with it not on my system. Then I found Cacheman. It keeps your computer feeling like it has just been re-booted, and optimises the caches for best useage. I have used this program for years, and found that it is VERY stable, and really seems to make a difference. They are making a NT/2000/XP only version that will run as a service, making it even more stable but is not released yet). It is free, but will accept donations.

I use Cacheman daily, on W98SE, NT4.0, NT Server, NT Workstations and windows 2000, with no problems at all!

NOTE: Just to be clear, I do NOT USE MEMTURBO, nor do I recommend it. That is based on personal experience. It wasn't Horrible, it just was not as rock solid and transparent as I would like in a program.

Of course there is Symantec Norton Utilities and Norton Anti-Virus

I actually met Peter Norton, many years ago, when it STILL was Norton, not Symantec. I use the Utilities, just because I have been using them since Nu version 3.5 for DOS! Almost all the functionality has been duplicated by windows now, but I still think that the Norton Speed Disk, Norton Disk Doctor and Norton Unerase work a little better than the windows counterpart. Who knows? BUT you absolutely need Norton Anti Virus! And I find that it does not get in the way, and that is important. Of course, you have to buy this, but I have seen demo versions on download.com.

For many years, I despised ANY Anti-Virus software on any PC, I just felt it was un-necessary resources, but sadly, in today's world, an Anit-Virus software program is something you have to have, and Symanted Anti-Virus is, for me anyway, very stable and transparent.

Total Commander (Used to be Windows Commander)

Years ago, Norton came out with a DOS product, way before Windows 3.1, called Norton Commander. It was a DOS SHELL, and there were others, PC Tools and XTREE, and both had their fans, but I liked Norton Commander. I used it for years, even after Windows 95 came out.

Well, I was not alone in liking this program, even though Norton abandoned it long ago. Someone took the concept of the Norton Commander, and developed it for Windows, and unlike the DOS counterpart, this program kept on growing, getting better, adding more features, etc. Not a day goes by that I do NOT use this program.

It is a combination of WinZip, Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer), LapLink and probably many other utilities that I do not even know. I find that it works better. I really depend on this program a lot! What is nice, is that you can configure the user interface to be a standard Windows interface, or use the old Norton Commander keys, or any combonation of the two.

Task List programs and What they do, and are they necessary?

Great web site! Ever do a CTRL-ALT-DELETE and look at the programs that are running in your "freshly booted" version of windows? This site tells you what they do, and if they are necessary! Very nice, to tweak your system to get as few programs running as possible.

Of course, included with most Windows is MSCONFIG, to let you choose what programs will and will not start up.

For Picky programs that seem to start up anyway, even if you uncheck them in MSCONFIG, I use a nice program called START/STOP, but the company that made it TFI stopped distributing this free program. Another similar program is StartEd by OuterTech, (the same people that wrote Cacheman).

I use this program, because programs like Quicktime and Real Player and others seem to work their way back into my startup, even if I disable them, or edit them out of the registry. I hate stuff showing up, esp when I delete them.

Speaking of Registrys, This site used to be called regedit.com is GREAT for researching anything about your registry.

The ONE THING I have not yet found (any help would be appreciated!) is a way to LOCK the position of the START task bar in W2K. People at work move the task bar around, on purpose, just to get others riled up.

Active Sync Toggle

For those of you that use Hand Helds, Palm Pilots, Pocket PC, or similar, you will love this program. Here is a discription:
===============
ActiveSync... that wonderful Microsoft program for synchronising data between your PDA and PC. It loads itself automatically, syncs your PDA with your PC, then sits there, patiently waiting to synchronise any piece of data that you change.

So why the need for ActiveSync Toggle then...

Well, annoyingly (at the time of writing) Microsoft have yet to include a facility to 'Load ActiveSync at Startup' or even an 'Exit' option from the System Tray Icon. If, like us, you don't sync your PDA every minute of the day, it means ActiveSync is sitting around in memory using up valuable resources. Even more annoying is the fact that if you try to remove the registry entry that automatically loads ActiveSync, it very kindly adds it again (as long as it's running) meaning it always stays open.

ActiveSync Toggle allows you to either load or unload ActiveSync from memory whilst also removing the registry key that automatically loads it upon starting Windows.
==================

Of course, there is SpyBot and Ad-Aware, and I find both to be useful. It is amazing how many spy programs or links or cookies or whatever I find whenever I run these two programs. It is almost as necessary as an Anti-Virus program.

Let's not forget Microsoft's own TWEAK UI for 95,98,Me, Nt, or 2000 or Windows XP PowerToys.

IRFANVIEW

This is a graphics and media player. I like it better than any other player, I find it simple and quick, yet powerful.

My newest addition, and I am really suprised that I like this, is the Google Toolbar with Popup Blocker.

I really like this product, it is free, it blocks those damn pop ups, and puts google right on my toolbar, and has options to NOT SEND info back to google!

TClock - Finally, a usefull, customizable clock for Windows!

Shutdown Service 2.01
Not on MY PC, but I've installed this on many other PC's at work so that the PC will re-boot or shutdown without user intervention.

I have others, but then I am getting into less used, less tested products and sites, and I wanted to keep this to things that I use all the time, and have been stable and reliable for me.

Hope this helps and I look forward to your posts!

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting and useful information - thanks for posting!

<font color="800080">It is amazing how many spy programs or links or cookies or whatever I find whenever I run these two programs.....It is almost as necessary as an Anti-Virus program.</font>

Agreed. But there is a way to stop the stuff getting onto your system in the first place, it works just like an Antivirus program in that aspect. Totally free and seems like a good program. I`ve only had it on the old checkout-terminal since the weekend so can`t speak for its long term reliability. I`ve had a small wobble and noticed a *slight* slowdown but put that down to poor system resources (old Celeron 333/almost-full 3GB HDD, etc) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
Anyways, go to http://javacoolsoftware.com and download Spyware Blaster, and Spyware Guard. Between them (and the Immunise feature of SBS&D), they`ll block all the known spyware components from ever infecting your HDD, and prevent MSIE from being hijacked, if you like and use MSIE that is (I do, unfortunately). Scans with S&D/AdAware should always come up empty afterwards!
Known components that for some reason are needed because they are bundled with other legit software for one reason or another (eg Kazaa/Ezula, CuteFTP/Aureate, etc) can be "ignored" - but if you`re installing software that`s bundled with spyware and won`t run without it, I`d personally reccomend you find an alternative program!

wink.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Software & Resources that improve your Windows *DELETED*

Post deleted by Empath

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Software & Resources that improve your Windows

AVG Antivirus (Windows) from Grisoft.com catches things that Norton and McAfee combined don't even see. It doesn't slow your system down to a crawl, and version 6 is free (as in beer).

Empath

Flashaholic

Eugene, CharlieK, and Tomas, if you don't edit your comments, I will delete them. How long do we have to keep harping on baiting before you get the idea.

And, don't go screwing up this thread by trying to defend and justify your comments.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Charles Bradshaw said:
AVG Antivirus (Windows) from Grisoft.com catches things that Norton and McAfee combined don't even see. It doesn't slow your system down to a crawl, and version 6 is free (as in beer).

[/ QUOTE ]

I never heard of them before, Thanks!

You know it is hard to give up something that has been working well for years, however.

It is nice to know that there are still small guys out there (relatively speaking) that make good software that competes with the big guys.

One of the things that I liked about Norton Utilities, was that, years ago, it really was a collection of small and big utilities. Batch Enhancer, Norton Controll Center, etc, all were great programs!

I said I would not talk about my DOS tools, but there are some tools that I use, that are freeware or shareware, that I have built my entire mission critical operation on, since 1995, that were either totally free, or had like a 10 dollar voluntary donation fee.

jtice

Flashaholic

Can someone please help me with the Google bar???

After I install it, Internet Explorer will not display ANY webpages.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Are you blocking pop-ups?
Hold the CTRL key and hit reload and see what happens.
It should not be blocking everything but CTRL will temporarily defeat the pop-up blocker.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

I only use IE when I have no other option, even with win4lin/win98se. I never heard of the Google Bar. When I want to use Google (linux powered search engine, btw), I just go to the website and do a search from there.

charliek

Enlightened

Mozilla browser ( www.mozilla.org )
at 12MB it's a hefty download for Modem users... but if you have a friend with a broadband connection, I'm sure he can burn it to CD for you. To block pop-ups in Mozilla:
Click Edit, Preferences, Advanced, Scripts & plugins, uncheck the boxes that say "allow Java script to open un requested windows". you may also want to not allow them to be removed, resized, or remove the title bar. 99% of your popups will disappear. Also do not enable java in Email- this will protect you from all sorts of nasty java in spam emails. The email client that comes with Mozilla is very good and does not have the vulnerabilities that Outlook has- if another program (like a Worm) tries to send and automated email, you will be notified and you can choose NOT to send it.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Charliek, I have been using Mozilla since before version 1.0. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I'm sure that most everyone here already knows what a download manager is, but just in case you don't, you may want to check out: http://www.getright.com/

To me, being on a slow 56k connection and having a desire to download many very large files, a good download manager is pretty much essential and GetRight seems to be one of the, if not the, best in this category.

While I'm at it, I might as well throw in a plug for one of my other favorite pieces of software and in this case, it's freeware. That would be the great and famous audio player Winamp: www.winamp.com

This has got to be one of the nicest audio players out there, is totally free, is skinable, very customizable, has countless plug-ins to further increase the functionality and a nearly unlimited number of freely available skins to customize the look of the player.

This is another great freeware program called Iconoid. It is almost unheard of by most, but does some very nice things to help improve the Windows shell in some areas that it's lacking. I was able to replace 3 other programs when I upgraded to this one about a year ago. It makes the text area behind your icons transparent which is nice if you are using wallpaper, it has a function to remember your icon placement in case Windows decides to scatter your icons all over creation, it also has my favorite feature which will allow you to set a corner that once you move the mouse to that corner, it will automatically invoke the "show desktop" command. This function alone has saved me hours of manually having to hit show desktop in order to get to the desktop quickly. Takes a little getting used to, but is well worth the effort. It has other functionality as well. Here is the URL: http://www.sillysot.com/

Here is another great shell enhancer called Tray it! Again a very underrated program that everyone should have because of it's great functionality. It's a little tricky to learn all of it's great features at first, but this program allows you to put anything that you like into the system tray even if it wasn't programed to have this functionality to begin with. This is great for programs that you need to keep running in the background, but you don't want taking up valuable space on your task bar. Best of all, like Iconoid, it has a tiny memory footprint so that you will hardly even notice it being loaded into memory. I'm showing only 468k in memory. You can also use this program to set a program to be brought to the foreground by clicking on it's tray icon and then to minimize it by clicking on the tray icon a second time. Very useful for programs that you want to minimize and maximize in an instant. Here is the URL: http://www.teamcti.com/trayit/trayit.htm

Here is another fun little shell enhancer called PowerMenu. This program allows you to set the always on top option for a window and allows you to, under Windows XP, set the transparency level of a window! I'm not sure how useful this option actually is, but it's really fun to play around with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

For everyone out there like me that finds themselves still using a lot of DOS command line stuff, Send To Toys is a very useful addition. It adds extra commands to your "send to" right click menu in Windows Explorer.

This great program allows you to use your right mouse button to scroll without having to waste time messing with the scrollbar. It's called MouseStar. Some people like this concept and others don't, I happen to really like it and so I thought that I would list it for those out there that might like it as good as I do.

Then there is MotherBoard Monitor for those of you that would like to have your current CPU temperature displayed in your system tray. It also has an alarm that can be set to go off in case your CPU goes over a certain temperature. This could save your CPU if your CPU fan goes out and you don't happen to catch it fast enough.

I could go on, but these are some of the very best cream of the crop programs that I use every day and have been using for a long time and so I know that they are very stable and should be safe for everyone to use. Have fun and let us all know if you found anything here useful. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SFR

Newly Enlightened

I'm running Win XP. I have ZoneAlarm, FreeRAM XP Pro, Cacheman, and Norton Antivirus running in the Tray to keep my OS running smoothly.

I also downloaded Powertoys XP from Microsoft. My favorite toy is the improved Alt-Tab program switcher. Instead of seeing program icons, you see thumbnail screenshots of the programs as you cycle through them. Cool!

As for web browsers, I switched over to Mozilla Firebird. I have IE, Mozilla, and Opera on my computer but Firebird is now my browser of choice -- and it's only a preview release! It's free and comes in most flavors of operating systems. Everyone should check it out!

Ratus

Newly Enlightened

Since I'm one of those lazy XP people I'll quote myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ratus said in another thead:
I absolutely hate those Annoying Flash Ads, in particular the ones with sound and seizure inducing blinking lights!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I looked all over the web for a tool to just turn off flash and to stop bugging me to install it.

"No! Flash" its a 64k freeware app for MS-Windows(all-versions) it blocks Scripts (Popup Ads, Animated Ads...), Flash(Macromedia Shockwave Flash v6), Images, Videos, Animations (GIF Animation), Sounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

SlimBrowser, a tabbed web browser, it also has pop-up blocker and lots of other stuff. I've been using it for about a year now, no problems. Best of all its freeware. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

also have a look at this thread

charliek

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Charles Bradshaw said:
Charliek, I have been using Mozilla since before version 1.0. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you had a look at the new "Firebird" browser from Mozilla?
6Megs- light and fast. Renders pages like lightning!

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Charliek, I haven't looked at firebird yet. I use the same version of Mozilla in both win98se and mandrake linux. Principally for consistency. I also use the Orbit Retro theme.

I just downloaded motherboard monitor, as it supports both of my mobos, and I will have a win98se box and either a dualboot or linux only box (depends on mobo + mandrake install and Promise ultra100 behaviour).

I also use Power Archiver (shareware), current version. One license fee for life. I started with version 7 and have done 2 upgrades since then. Supports a bunch of archive and compression formats for windows, linux, unix, etc.

charliek

Enlightened

Firebird also will work in both OSes- everything you love about Mozilla will be there in Firebird, with the exception of the Email and Newsreader functionality- this makes it lighter and faster. Still in the early stages of development, but, like Mozilla, it will only improve with age.

Opera also comes in MS flavors, and makes a fine browser BTW.