What's wrong with my TK35?

ShadetreeAZ

Newly Enlightened
A few days ago my TK35 on "turbo" would shut down after only 10sec, only a 1lumen glow came from bulb. No other light level worked. Shut off flashlight for a few min., then when on "high" the light works for about a min. and does the same as when on turbo. I charged the 18650 rechargeable batteries with no change in performance. I noticed that only one of the two charge lights on the charger indicated initial red or discharge. Switching batteries produced two green indications. Scratching my head hasn't helped, I am hoping some of you can. Thanks.

H-Man

Enlightened
Check the voltage of each cell. Off the charger, it should be no greater then 4.2 v.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
What batteries (brand / capacity / are they protected) are you using and which charger?

If a protected cell gives you a red light when you put it on the charger, it most likely means the cell's protection has been triggered (should read 0 on a volt meter). It is sometimes necessary to remove and re-insert the cell in the charger for the protection circuit to reset. I've had a similar problem with XXXfire batteries in both my Predator lights. Quite simply put, the brand new cheap cells could not handle the high discharge rate of my light and would cut off after a very short runtime, but work fine on less demanding flashlights. Switching to a better brand solved the problem for me and I bet your situation is the same -with one difference: one of the cell's protection has not kicked in yet, so a very small amount of current still makes it through the circuit, explaining the low glow.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with all of the above. Just recently I had a light do the same thing. I was using old XXXfire batteries fresh off the charger. They work in older lights, but with the higher amperage they (or the light) shut down. Try some AW, Redilast, or Callie's Kustom batteries.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If its unprotected cells, then you prob has drained them too mutch and destroyed them. Dont drain them more than down to ~2,7V (they refuse to charge and it's DANGEROUS to try to charge/use them when overdrained.)

Last edited:

ShadetreeAZ

Newly Enlightened
Hey thanks guys! Switched in some 123's and BINGO! It show's ya, if you ask folks with experience you're going to get to the solution. I think the 18650's I have may be of the "cheaper" non-reliable type. I'll look for some better quality as I do like the rechargeable type. Thanks again.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want good quality cells, i've been using Panasonic 18650's on my TK35, and for over a year now, no problems whatsoever. :)

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good news! Nothing like getting your brand new defective torch to work like it should.

Most CPFers agree AW has the best batteries, but Panasonics are also excellent batteries (in all types and formats). Just double-check if the TK35 can handle flat top cells or you'll have to make sure to order button-tops (there's also nothing like waiting for batteries for 2 weeks to find out they won't work in your light :ohgeez:)

yifu

Enlightened
Good news! Nothing like getting your brand new defective torch to work like it should.

Most CPFers agree AW has the best batteries, but Panasonics are also excellent batteries (in all types and formats). Just double-check if the TK35 can handle flat top cells or you'll have to make sure to order button-tops (there's also nothing like waiting for batteries for 2 weeks to find out they won't work in your light :ohgeez:)
Panasonic NCR18650s are the OEMs cells used in AW's 2900 and 3100mah cells so they are virtually the same quality, just without the protection circuit. So virtually anything with NCRs like Redilasts/Kallie's Kustoms should be fine. Other OEM cells from Sanyo or Samsung are also good. Avoid any Trustfire/Ultrafire cells. If you tap them they feel hollow, that's because they use much smaller cells than advertised! There are members who cut them up and found them using recycled 14650 and smaller cells, dangerous.

ShadetreeAZ

Newly Enlightened
The batteries that I WAS using were AW's, I've had/used them for 11 months. Maybe I recharged them before they were sufficiently discharged or could it be the charger? At any rate I'll get some replacements. BTW the non button tops have worked fine in the TK-35. Thanks again for the guidance.