ShiningBeam I-mini XP-G Neutral White Tactical?

~seagull~

Newly Enlightened
Feel like a kid in a candy store. I think I like nearly everything about this light except the tail switch. I'm new here and can't seem to get very far with the search function, so apologize if anyone is yawning....
Any reviews on this particular flashlight?
Any other choices which are similar in specs and price point?

Danielight

Enlightened
What don't you like about the tailswitch? I had the I-mini XP-G NW, and thought the switch was OK. All it did was click the light on & off. Turning the bezel up front allowed "infinite" adjustment of brightness. I ended up selling my I-mini, but for the price it wasn't bad, especially since you could run it on either a cr123 or on a AA (with extension tube).

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Feel like a kid in a candy store. I think I like nearly everything about this light except the tail switch. I'm new here and can't seem to get very far with the search function, so apologize if anyone is yawning....
Any reviews on this particular flashlight?
Any other choices which are similar in specs and price point?
there are no indepth reviews of the Shiningbeam i-mini (and "indepth" is subject to subjectivism), sorry. i am yawning about the countless 4sevens moan threads which appear every week lol but Shiningbeam (budget section please!) is a good alternative i guess to 4sevens stuff. the i-mini looks similar to Quark. The Quark is/was on sale at 41$ (with cpf discount).

i am happy with the quark (except for the tint) and lots of reviews and threads and info exist for it. you'll be more or less "alone" (i.e. with other owners not taking the time to review in depth their copies) when you buy the Shiningbeam. i hate feeling "alone", that's another reason to have bought quark. gives you the feeling to belong to a large community of enthusiasts and there is nonstop talking of their products. (4sevens youtube video reviews popup weekly).

ive found only 1 youtube video on Shiningbeam light, and it's for the caveman.

you'll feel alone, seagull ;)

~seagull~

Newly Enlightened
Koolranch, I'm still wondering what a "preflash intake low setting" is that you have issues with.
Anyway, I decided to brave the loneliness warned by shelm, and ordered this light last night. Shout-out to Bryan Chen of Shining Beam for shipping it out to me within about 12 hours of my placing the order online!

my#1hobby

Enlightened
That is one of the lights I had my eye on along with the S-Mini XP-G R5. Post your thoughts when you get it if you would. I'm curious how the tint is and the brightness on an AA. Thanks!

ouchyfoot

Newly Enlightened
One thing that surprised me was that the brightness was the exact same with cr123, 16340(rcr123) and 3.2v LiFePo4. The I-Mini doesn't seem to heat up at all with either battery.

fishndad

Enlightened
and afterall dont we all need to feel accepted.
Isnt that one of Maslows hierarchy of needs.
Oh sorry thats self actualization witch contradicts the idea of feeling the need to be excepted for wearing Nike when Champion will do.
Enjoy the shiningbeam its a great light.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the Shiningbeam I-Mini specifically because I kept hearing from people that they wanted a light in the $30-$35 range and I didn't really have anything I could comfortably recommend. I bought it specifically to see if it would hold up to the types of tasks my non-flashaholic friends would use a light for. I was pleasantly surprised in every regard. The light seems well built, works well, and will run any kind of battery. It's not just a good light for non-flashaholics but for anyone.

msim

Enlightened
I own this exact version and keep it in my bag with a 14500 in it.

When set to the lowest setting there is a fraction of a second where it flashes brighter than what it's set to. Because of this I just keep it on the highest setting by default. The neutral tint is very nice. Let me know if you have any other specific questions about it and I'll be happy to write about it or take some pictures. I was very impressed with this light especially considered the price. The only thing that would keep me from recommending it to friends who want a cheap AA light is that with alkaline, nimh or lithium primary batteries the brightness ramping is very short. It holds very dim, ramps up quickly to full brightness, then holds at full. With CR123 or 14500s/16340s the ramping is very smooth.

ouchyfoot

Newly Enlightened
You just gotta love lights that ramp up and down. I emailed Shining Beam a few hours ago to ask if they had any plans to make one with XM-L. Haven't heard back yet. I'll let you know.

msim

Enlightened
You just gotta love lights that ramp up and down. I emailed Shining Beam a few hours ago to ask if they had any plans to make one with XM-L. Haven't heard back yet. I'll let you know.

The diameter of the head is the same as my M11R that has an XML U2. I love my M11R and carry it in my pocket most days but it produces the floodiest beam of any of my single CR123 lights. If you're looking for flood, then don't let me convince you not to get a light of this size with an XML, but for a light this size, I personally prefer the throwier beam of an XPG.