4Sevens Preon pen light... a wonderful light with a pathetic pocket clip.

MBQuimby

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, don't post much but wanted to share this. The Preon pen-light is an amazing tool. I am the Director of Security at a major healthcare facility in Birmingham, AL. I find a use for the Preon on a daily basis at work and at home. I have incorporated the Preon in both my daily work loadout and my off work EDC kit. No other pen-light I have seen can compare to the Preon.

The one issue I have is the pocket clip. It is horrendous. It is VERY weak and bends easily with the movement of my leg as it sits in my pocket. I have almost lost my favorite pocket light MANY times because of this. I have been lucky enough once to back track to a parking lot and found it where I had parked. It must have fallen out when I got in the car to leave. Every morning I have to remove the battery cap and re-bend the pocket clip so that it is tight against the shaft of the light and holds onto my pocket (for a little while). I know this bending ruins the temper in the metal but to be honest, I don't think there was anything to ruin in the first place as I had this issue the very first time I wore the light.

I'm not asking for anything from 4sevens; I definately don't want another stock pocket clip. I actually plan on having one made out of stronger sheet metal at a local shop (that's how much I love the light).

I just wanted to share my experience with the Preon and tell 4sevens that their product deserves better than the pocket clip they gave it. Being that the Preon is designed specifically to be a pocket light, presumably for EDC use, having a sub-par (horrendous) pocket clip kind of defeats the point. It would be like putting cardboard tires on a Corvette.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone. If someone from 4sevens actually reads this, PLEASE find a better pocket clip for the Preon.

Mark

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not asking for anything from 4sevens; I definately don't want
Maybe you should be but that's entirely up to you -- "your problem" (=good/bad decision).

Anyway thanks for sharing practical real life experience with this product.
i like it when a 'reviewer' points out an essential detail which should not be overlooked or underemphasized and goes clear and strong about it. posts such as yours really make us aware of a real issue and it certainly influences our purchase decision.

Helpful post. Thanks again for sharing!! And good luck with finding a stronger pocket clip.

MBQuimby

Newly Enlightened
I've got some stainless sheet stock that I am going to use. I'm flattening the stock pocket clip and tracing it onto the sheet stock and then having it cut out and bent to the same shape as the original. I'll post a pic when it's done.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm flattening the stock pocket clip and tracing it onto the sheet stock and then having it cut out and bent to the same shape as the original. I'll post a pic when it's done.
feel free to document your work, i.e. by taking pics of your intermediary steps.

i think the pocket clip had always been point of criticism with the Preon 1 and 2. (and the greenish tint, unless you got a Hi Cri or NeutralWhite or whatnot)