Pulse Width Modulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Commonly referred to as PWM,
noticeable by shining your light into a fan at slow speeds ~ It looks like a strobe effect.

It's a quick fix for manufactures to get a Lower output.
Although it is not necessary to do so, as current controlling has been around for years.

Does PWM bother you & does it effect your buying decision for your favorite builders/brands?

Last edited:

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
UB3T uses PWM and heres the sentence comes up from my brain
Oh my god, is it necessary for you SF to be outdated?
Triple-digit price and not even current-controlled, WTH?

awenta

Enlightened
It used to, then I bought a dyson fan and I dont see it anymore!:party:

I'd gladly pay the few bucks extra for current control. Especially when working in a low light low output situation. Or in the shower.

awenta

Enlightened
Forgot to answer the rest of the question. It definitely isn't a deciding factor and won't stop me from buying a light I like. If I will be in a situation where it might bother me I'll just use a different light.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PWM doesn't bother me in any of my lights. Aside from controlling OUTPUT, many miss the fact that PWM is an excellent way to control TINT. Some even purrrr about the tint while complaining about the PWM...HUH?

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate PWM, but I'll endure it in cases where the frequency is high enough not to be seen in any normal usage conditions like with 4seven's lights. I actually held back from buying more zebras until they solved that issue (and I'm ready to order my H600W now). If I only know some specific light/brand uses PWM but not at what frequency, I won't buy it unless other CPFers agree it can't be seen.

Racer

Enlightened
I'm about to the point where I really don't want any new lights with PWM. I'm just really sensitive to it for some reason. Even the higher frequency PWM still seems to bug me on the low modes. On high modes I still see it sometimes if it's raining or I point it at something spinning or moving fast. But it does bug me less the higher the output goes.

And PWM is why I haven't bought any more variable-brightness lights. Are there even any variable-brightness lights that don't use PWM? Just the HDS I think? Are there any others? I've always wanted lights like the V10A and the RRT-0 but the PWM bugs me. If the V10A/R had smooth-as-silk current control and the efficiency to go along with it, I'd pay double what it costs now.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
For high freq. PWM I don't notice it and it doesn't bother me.

"Having said that", I don't like PWM for being very inefficient at lower levels.

Therefore I don't purchase lights with PWM.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm about to the point where I really don't want any new lights with PWM. I'm just really sensitive to it for some reason. Even the higher frequency PWM still seems to bug me on the low modes. On high modes I still see it sometimes if it's raining or I point it at something spinning or moving fast. But it does bug me less the higher the output goes.

And PWM is why I haven't bought any more variable-brightness lights. Are there even any variable-brightness lights that don't use PWM? Just the HDS I think? Are there any others? I've always wanted lights like the V10A and the RRT-0 but the PWM bugs me. If the V10A/R had smooth-as-silk current control and the efficiency to go along with it, I'd pay double what it costs now.
I have a 3D 46" TV set and some viewers say it gives them a headache to watch it ... I guess about one in twenty of our viewers can't watch 3D on this type of TV ... It uses the sequential active-shutter type of glasses ... In a way , it is a bit like PWM as each eye is getting images sequentially at half the normal TV frame rate ... I guess that these 5% would also dislike PWM torches because of the flicker effect ... My ITP torches and Solarforces (plus others) are all PWM and they don't bother me at all (luckily).

It would be interesting to know if readers that are troubled by PWM in torches are also troubled by the flicker of a 3D TV set..

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Are there even any variable-brightness lights that don't use PWM? Just the HDS I think? Are there any others? I've always wanted lights like the V10A and the RRT-0 but the PWM bugs me...

My old HDS has PWM.

The Rigel line of lights are of variable output but don't use PWM.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find PWM bothersome when I use a light that has it and I'm moving or the object I'm looking at is moving. When I'm walking the pavement looks strange and when it's snowing the snow flakes are stuck in mid air. I've put my 2 lights that have noticeable PWM on weapons and using the lights that way works for me. I couldn't get used to walking the dog with those lights. ( Olight M20s & M30 )

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Lots of info archived here on CPF re PWM. For example, write in PWM in the google, cpf only box at the top of every CPF page, and you will be amazed. Closing this thread.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.