Where is your favorite flashlight store?(Brick & Mortar)

GeorgeB

Newly Enlightened
Where do you do most of your shopping at? I look at sporting good stores, camping stores, and building supply stores. Is there somewhere that I am neglecting?
grin.gif
I am just looking for new ideas.
icon3.gif

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
Camping stores. I bug my father when he passes one in our car. "STOP!!!" And also Wallyworld. But they don't have a good selection...

Kirk

Enlightened
Wally World and Target for every-weekend searching. REI and Sport Chalet for "special" quarterly trips. K-Mart doesn't thrill me. Big 5 Sporting Goods sometimes surprises me with "different" lights.
Kirk

ReconTech

Newly Enlightened
What does REI have in terms of selection? There is one about 30 minutes from me and I wanted to know if it was worthwhile to make the trip. I like going to Brigade Quartermasters (www.actiongear.com) they have pelican, Surefire, etc.

Btw, does anyone know if REI has Benchmade knives? or at least a good selection of the $80-$150 price knife range?

SAK

Newly Enlightened
Btw, does anyone know if REI has Benchmade knives?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The REI stores in my area do not carry Benchmade. REI's website does not list any Benchmades.

laynlow

Newly Enlightened
The local police supply is my haunting ground. The gentleman I normally deal with usually makes me a deal, so I am happy to return. I bought a SF Z2 for fifty dollars, and a 8NX Commander with charger and batteries for 96 bucks.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
All we have around here are Walmart, Kmart, Meijer, Loewes, and Home Depot. The latter 2 are way too far back from the road for me to get to, as the bus don't go there. Only been in Walmart for a long time. I remember that Meijer had a decent selection (variety). Last time I was in Kmart they had one or two lights (yes, you read that correctly).

B@rt

Flashaholic
The only places with somewhat of a choice are camping- and outdoorshops, and please don't expect a huge collection.
frown.gif

Most flashlight selling stores here have the m*glica product as top of the line...
icon3.gif
rolleyes.gif
icon15.gif
bluedead.gif

Kirk

Enlightened
ReconTech,
I picked up a CMG Infinity (not Ultra) at REI. They have Photons, Pelican, *ag, and other "backpacking" (small) lights.
Kirk

Size15's

Flashaholic
The only places with somewhat of a choice are camping- and outdoorshops, and please don't expect a huge collection.
frown.gif

Most flashlight selling stores here have the m*glica product as top of the line...
icon3.gif
rolleyes.gif
icon15.gif
bluedead.gif

I'm not sure if the situation is the same for the rest of Europe?

Al
tongue.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

My last trip to Europe presented me with few opportunities to peruse what I am told to be a fairly bleak affair regarding choices of decent flashlights. Maglite products are in abundance. Anthony Maglica seems to have done his homework marketing his products in the continent from which he originates.

I did manage to visit a rahter small specialty store displaying some well crafted blades from Solingen. Alongside them were Maglite AAs in various colors, 2 AAAs and a silver 3D. What is it with the silver Maglite? Even Sir Jahn has a preference for the colo(u)r.

I cannot render an opinion about general availability of good lights at retail brick and mortar level based on one visit at a mom and pop, but, if this is typical, Europe seems to be in the dark ages regarding this topic.

Perhaps a resident can chime in better than some old yank visiting but for a mere 9 days.

Where is Pelu (Herr Peter Ludwig)? I gues he has lost interest in CPF.