Best Tactical AA light? One-hand operation w/ strobe?

Juanderful

Newly Enlightened
Hey CPFers!

So, recently I purchased a solar charger (Goal Zero Adventure Kit) to keep my electronics juiced when I go backpacking, and after attempting to find a USB-powered Li-ion charger for my 18650/CR123-based lights, I realized I had to overhaul my entire flashlight "system", since the solar charger is only capable of charging AA, AAA, or USB devices.

This pretty much means that I have to switch over to using AA/AAA-based lights exclusively.

Anyway, I currently own a Jetbeam PC25 and have been trying to find an AA-equivalent light to replace it.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the light, the thing that makes the Jetbeam PC25 unique is the fact that it has a special side switch that gives immediate access to a variable-strobe, no matter if the light is on or off. I am unsure if there is even a AA light on the market right now that has a similar feature, but what I'm hoping to find is a light that has the following criteria:

- Powered by AA (or 2x AA)
- One hand operation (capable of switching between modes without needing second hand to twist/untwist etc)
- Able to access strobe quickly (hopefully side-switch, but if none, then something like a double click would be okay too)
- Hopefully 200+ lumens

And yeah, that's pretty much it. Like I said, I'm basically trying to find a PC25-equivalent AA light in terms of functions. Help appreciated! :)

smokey616

Newly Enlightened
I haven't done the research on the voltages and what not, but considering that a 4Sevens Single-Bay Smart Charger can be powered by a USB slot on a computer, wouldn't that also allow it to be powered by a solar charger with USB capabilities? If so, you could stick to 14500 Li-Ion and get the Quark X AA2 Tactical with the single AA tube and have all your bases covered.

Though you would need to twist/untwist to switch between two programmed levels.

Juanderful

Newly Enlightened
I haven't done the research on the voltages and what not, but considering that a 4Sevens Single-Bay Smart Charger can be powered by a USB slot on a computer, wouldn't that also allow it to be powered by a solar charger with USB capabilities? If so, you could stick to 14500 Li-Ion and get the Quark X AA2 Tactical with the single AA tube and have all your bases covered.

Though you would need to twist/untwist to switch between two programmed levels.

Hmm, I've never noticed that 4Sevens even had that USB "Smart Charger"... perhaps I won't have to get rid of my 18650 lights after all. Are there any other chargers like that?

Also, since I'm not too technically-savvy, what exactly should I be looking for when making sure a "smart charger" is compatible with my solar panel? The output of the solar panel is 5V, 1A max (5W). Do I just have to make sure that the smart charger has an equal or lower V and A rating?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Smart chargers are not a good idea to run on marginal solar power as a passing cloud will cause them to reboot. The GZ Adv kit has the AA battery buffer which can provide continuous power, but you'll have large efficiency losses. Check Cottenpickers Li-ion chargers out, I hear they are great.

I personally use a Powerfilm 6 panel AA charger for backpacking. Not as efficient as my GZ in perfect sunlight, but more efficient in imperfect light. At 1/3 the builk and weight, I bring it along "just in case" I didn't calculate the spare batts well. Solar is still to slow and inefficient for me for primary power reliance - I camp under the heavy tree canopy of the East.

For camping lights, I use the Zebralight H51w and Quark X single AA, both for their lightweight compact size and ultra long running moonlight modes and other good low lows - these two can really stretch a single AAs runtimes. I EDC the Quark X with a 14500 on-grid now for real power. Can't help you with the tactical strobe thing, as I prefer to have the disco modes hidden, if at all.

regulation

Newly Enlightened
The LD12 may fix your requirements except the 200 lm output.

Actually I don;t think you can find a light with 200 lm output only by 1 AA.

It just can;t get enough power.

Juanderful

Newly Enlightened
Smart chargers are not a good idea to run on marginal solar power as a passing cloud will cause them to reboot. The GZ Adv kit has the AA battery buffer which can provide continuous power, but you'll have large efficiency losses. Check Cottenpickers Li-ion chargers out, I hear they are great.

I personally use a Powerfilm 6 panel AA charger for backpacking. Not as efficient as my GZ in perfect sunlight, but more efficient in imperfect light. At 1/3 the builk and weight, I bring it along "just in case" I didn't calculate the spare batts well. Solar is still to slow and inefficient for me for primary power reliance - I camp under the heavy tree canopy of the East.

For camping lights, I use the Zebralight H51w and Quark X single AA, both for their lightweight compact size and ultra long running moonlight modes and other good low lows - these two can really stretch a single AAs runtimes. I EDC the Quark X with a 14500 on-grid now for real power. Can't help you with the tactical strobe thing, as I prefer to have the disco modes hidden, if at all.

Yeah, I got the GZ for that reason, since the Guide 10 battery pack is essentially a buffer for any smart chargers that would need a constant input.

I have two questions:

1) For a headlamp, do you think the H51w is overkill for close-up tasks and hiking? I was deciding between which one to get: the H51w or the floody version (H51Fw).

I'm afraid the H51w would have too bright of a hotspot (and not enough spill), but I'm also afraid that if I get the H51Fw, it would be too diffuse for spotting things ~10yards ahead while hiking.

2) Also, you mentioned that you EDC a Quark X with a 14500. Doesn't the Quark X only come in a 2xAA configuration?

The LD12 may fix your requirements except the 200 lm output.

Actually I don;t think you can find a light with 200 lm output only by 1 AA.

It just can;t get enough power.

I don't have one but maybe the new LD12 & LD22 may fit the job?

Thanks guys; I'll check the Fenix lights out. They seem pretty promising actually.

Take a look at the Klarus XT2A, i will be fit perfect.

Darn, the Klarus XT2A/XT1A looked like awesome lights until I realized they had no pocket clips.

I plan on EDCing the light too, and would like to pocket carry if possible. Don't feel like toting around a sheath on my belt =/

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I got the GZ for that reason, since the Guide 10 battery pack is essentially a buffer for any smart chargers that would need a constant input.

I have two questions:

1) For a headlamp, do you think the H51w is overkill for close-up tasks and hiking? I was deciding between which one to get: the H51w or the floody version (H51Fw).

I'm afraid the H51w would have too bright of a hotspot (and not enough spill), but I'm also afraid that if I get the H51Fw, it would be too diffuse for spotting things ~10yards ahead while hiking.

2) Also, you mentioned that you EDC a Quark X with a 14500. Doesn't the Quark X only come in a 2xAA

Honestly, it's flatout not worth the double charger thing esp. for backpacking where bulk and weight are a concern. I doubt you be able to charge more than two 14500s or 16340s with the four NiMhs of the Guide 10... all these cells have about the same amount of energy in terms of watt/hrs and runtime, and you'll be throwing half that away, not to mention carrying twice as much equipment, by going through dual chargers.... for what, a 25-50% higher max mode?

The ZL tends to be floody as it is with the small reflector.. Anyways it's just personal preference, but keep in mind that you can always make a throwy light floody, but not the vice versa.

Yes the Quark X comes in AA^2, but as Smokey mentioned above, you just buy the extra single AA tube (the AA^2, makes a great spare batt carrier). The Xs are on pretty big sales at the moment, so you can have option of running both bodies for slightly less than retail of one.

Juanderful

Newly Enlightened
Honestly, it's flatout not worth the double charger thing esp. for backpacking where bulk and weight are a concern. I doubt you be able to charge more than two 14500s or 16340s with the four NiMhs of the Guide 10... all these cells have about the same amount of energy in terms of watt/hrs and runtime, and you'll be throwing half that away, not to mention carrying twice as much equipment, by going through dual chargers.... for what, a 25-50% higher max mode?

The ZL tends to be floody as it is with the small reflector.. Anyways it's just personal preference, but keep in mind that you can always make a throwy light floody, but not the vice versa.

Yes the Quark X comes in AA^2, but as Smokey mentioned above, you just buy the extra single AA tube (the AA^2, makes a great spare batt carrier). The Xs are on pretty big sales at the moment, so you can have option of running both bodies for slightly less than retail of one.

Thanks for the help man; really appreciate it :)

And after thinking about it, I completely agree with your point that the double charger setup is a bit redundant and weight-inefficient for the marginal benefits that Li-ion provides over Ni-MH.

Anyway, since my last post, I've done quite a bit of research/comparing, and have decided on these two lights:

1) Klarus ST10 (going to use as my EDC and "tactical" home defense light)

• Main reasons: Single AA (compact enough to fit in front pocket), and one hand operation (can change to all modes, including strobe, with 1 hand if other hand is occupied).
2) Spark ST5-190NW (serves as both a "throwy" headlamp for fast hiking + diffuse "lantern" for around-camp chores).
  • Main reasons: Single AA (not too heavy on head), neutral tint (easier on the eyes), includes a diffuser lens that can be easily attached/removed (solves my H51w vs H51Fw dilemma; it's basically like two lights in one), and is slightly brighter than the Zebralights (190 vs 172 lumens).

My only wish is that the Klarus ST10 came with a higher output than 140 lumens, seeing as how it's supposed to be my "tactical" light. But considering that it's powered by a single AA, 140's not too bad I guess.

BIG45-70

Enlightened
I would take a look at the FENIX LD12. I'm looking for something similar to you and it looks to be about the perfect light. The only thing that's holding me back from pre-ordering now is the lack of a moonlight mode.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Keep the 18650s'...more power and run time, and you have them already.

The 4sevens charger can go right onto the usb port...DONE.

:D

PayBack

Enlightened
Keep the 18650s'...more power and run time, and you have them already.

The 4sevens charger can go right onto the usb port...DONE.

:D

My tablet can charge via USB too... yet not from the USB port on my GZ. It doesn't seem to have enough juice. I'd be surprised (pleasantly) if it can do 18650's and RCR123's.