Smallest, most compact throwers out at the moment?

krevo

Newly Enlightened
My friend is looking for a super compact thrower. Anything single 123 or 2xcr123/18650, XP-G over XM-L, with a big smooth reflector. Don't ask me why. :confused:

I've already told him that usually the compact pocket lights don't come with big oversized throwy heads and smooth reflectors. He's just looking for a very small, lightweight, pure thrower. Doesn't matter if it's high end or low end. I know of the deft EDC, and I think the Quark Turbos were pretty throwy, but not that compact.

yifu

Enlightened
No question, the new DEFT EDC LR+ at 72k lux. There's only a couple more in stock. It will pretty much outthrow anything else at the same size by at least 10 times and has over 12 times the lux of the Quark Turbo.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm currently EDC'ing a custom-built Javelin Shorty that's similar in size to a Quark AA Tactical yet gets 14,000 lux on a single CR123A/RCR123A. That's twice the amount of throw than most other lights in its class and on the same level as many medium-sized tactical throwers. I wrote an article about it here.

quark_javelin.jpg

To the left in the pictures is Quark AA Tactical with turbo tailcap, and Javelin Shorty on the right. In the photo to the right, Shorty has AA extender installed, hence the increased length.

I think I built mine for less than $100.

davyro

Enlightened
Try a Thrunite TN11 without the extension tubes that come with the light,the throw is very good & using the it in it's smallest configuration it runs on 2x123a or 1x18650.Then if you want longer runtimes
just add one of the 2 extension tubes that come with the light.

mauiblue

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Thrunite TN11. It is a thrower, easily fits in my front pocket, nice to have the optional extension tube. But the UI isn't what I like about the setup. If you are going to just keep it at one setting majority of the time, great. If not, I find the UI a bit clunky. The holster is not very well made and I will be repairing the one I have and maybe later get a nice custom leather holster made for it as this is a nice light.

Last edited:

bronzet

Newly Enlightened
I agree about the TN11 as mentioned by the 2 previous posters.The UI really does need some tweaking for sure but i smile everytime i turn the thing on.

Another one i like is the Sunwayman T20CS, it throws really good and smaller compared to alot of torch in its class.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lighthound-branded CR123 light with a RCR123 cell in it the smallest, lowest cost, simplest, yet still a thrower. Several gift recipients have commented that it has considerable "reach". It will not compete for distance with the other lights listed, but it is a lot smaller. The Lighthound specs list both the CR123 and RCR123. however using the RCR123 needs your hand or a glass of water for heat sinking.

Note that the threads are a bit rough and tight upon receipt and need about a hundred on/off twists and a good thread cleaning before they smoothen out. You will also need to lube the O-ring.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Hi Krevo. My "smallest, most compact" thrower is a Sipik SK-68. I paid around $10 US for it. It measures 93 x 26 x 19mm. I got a reading of 14,300 lux at one meter, and it pulls 1.5A at the tail on an IMR 14500. You asked for something on the lower end, price-wise; hard to get much lower than this eh?
My friend is looking for a super compact thrower. Anything single 123 or 2xcr123/18650, XP-G over XM-L, with a big smooth reflector. Don't ask me why. :confused:

I've already told him that usually the compact pocket lights don't come with big oversized throwy heads and smooth reflectors. He's just looking for a very small, lightweight, pure thrower. Doesn't matter if it's high end or low end. I know of the deft EDC, and I think the Quark Turbos were pretty throwy, but not that compact.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
for tiny ones, Javelin head with C2H Body, the Deft EDC, and Lumintop L1C (or P1C)

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
I bought a Thrunite TN11. It is a thrower, easily fits in my front pocket, nice to have the optional extension tube. But the UI isn't what I like about the setup. If you are going to just keep it at one setting majority of the time, great. If not, I find the UI a bit clunky. I the holster is not very well made and I will be repairing the one I have and maybe later get a nice custom leather holster made for it as this is a nice light.

I've got the Thrunite Scorpion V2 w/turbohead which I think is probably the same beam, lux & lumens. I'm also impressed with the throw and lumens per size but the UI is it's achilles heal (as well as their **** poor customer service/honoring of warranty). However that being said, it is so close to being a really cool UI with an amazing beam.

Slightly off topic but wanted to throw this out there so some manufacturer could indeed make the best pocket thrower! As is, first bad thing about the scorpion is the UI is erratic, and breaks easily. Secondly, with the tail switch rotated all the way ccw, it is in "infinite" variable, (infinitely slow) mode where it crawls from 40 lumens up to about 600 in 1/2 and hour (exaggerating of course!) and then decreases. Next mode over is a firefly, then a strobe, then max and then an empty slot (I don't think it is suppossed to have that but it does.) For my purposes, the infinite variable is far to slow in its ramping to want to adjust; I just leave it at the lowest level which is about 40 lumens. The tail ring IS so easy and flip and rotate with your thumb with one hand while using the light, it has the potentional to be a really cool UI. As mine is, with the tail ring all the way right it is 40 lumens, then .5 lumens, then blank position, then strobe, then max and then blank. It is so easy to flip thru those but it is not easy to know how many modes you flipped thru. IF they were in a more intuitive order (IE low to high or high to low with no blanks) and if it wasn't so fragile, it would certainly be the most rocking light I know of. If for instance all the way ccw was .5l, then 4, then 40, then 200, then 700, then stop it'd be so simple in the dark to know if your light was coming on at .5 or 700 lumens - and you could change from one to the other in about 1/5th of a second (compared with say 10 seconds if they used their "infinite variable" mode).

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're on a budget the Uniquefire X8 XP-G is a pretty decent thrower. A 45mm reflector combined with the XP-G led make for some pretty decent throw. Comparable to any with a similar sized reflector.

The only caveat is recently they've been coming with an undersized o-ring for the lens which can cause some reflector rattling I fix it by buying a larger o-ring. Also they're budget lights so the customary teardown and rebuild will always be necessary but as far as a good thrower for the money that's pocketable, this is one of the better ones.

Burntrice

Newly Enlightened
No one has mentioned the DBS V3, Runs at full power on 2xCR123's and will out throw everything in its size.
IMG_0781.jpg

Model = DBS V3 XR-E R2 EZ900 3SM pill with aspheric lens

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
rare will you find anything that will out-throw that dereelight aspheric! i also own one of those. :)

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Depends how far you want to 'throw'. For me, a terrific 'compact thrower' is the Fenix PD31 or PD32. They utilize 18650, with XP-G emitters, and smooth reflectors. Very good amount of throw, while still having enough flood to be useable. Plus, they are small enough to EDC.

JMHO, of course.

-

Lucciola

Enlightened
How about the Surefire E1B? For the size and the head diameter the throw is IMHO pretty good.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
No one has mentioned the DBS V3, Runs at full power on 2xCR123's and will out throw everything in its size.
IMG_0781.jpg

Model = DBS V3 XR-E R2 EZ900 3SM pill with aspheric lens

I'm not sure it will out throw the DEFT edc LR+

I could see it as a close contest though either way....the 1" head of the LR+ vs the DBS's big head will help a lot.

:D