Can a SC31W replace my HDS?

al93535

Newly Enlightened
What do you guys think? I love the low low of my HDS 170 E. Of course it has 24 different setting I can utilize. It has auto off After 10 minutes, the electronics are potted and will protect my rechargeables. It's an awesome light. I have bought many many EDC lights, not one has replaced the HDS in my pocket every single day.

The SC31W has a nice tint, 6 modes and a very nice switch. It looks very rugged. Any opinions?

al93535

Newly Enlightened
Well, I suppose it will entertain me until Harry can catch up. Then I can order a high cri HDS.

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

edc3

Enlightened
I had to sell all three of my Clickies last year and I turned to my SC51w for consolation. In a lot of ways I like it better than my HDS lights. It's smaller, runs on Eneloops, is brighter than two of my HDS lights were, has a MUCH better tint and I can easily afford afford to replace it if something happens to it. It's an excellent light. I will definitely be buying more HDS lights in the future, but in the meantime I haven't found a better EDC than my SC51w.

Vesper

Enlightened
Dumped in a situation where your edc is going to take a ton of use or abuse, there's no way a ZL can compare. It's just not built for that purpose... HDS is. In all other ways it's just as worthy if not more-so in some ways. Force me to pick just one I'll go with the HDS (and I own 6 Z-lights and love and use them all - my favorite brand)

edc3

Enlightened
I agree. The ZL torture test is very impressive, but if my life depended on a light I'd want an HDS. Fortunately that is seldom the case for me.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I think the ZL lights are great all purpose lighting devices, but it sounds from your own first post that you would be missing the low mode of the HDS at very least.

Personally it's the complete lack of a low setting that makes my SC51w a great light to leave in the car, but not in my pocket. There's also the ease with which they turn on accidentally and the delicate build to take into consideration.

Erzengel

Enlightened
The biggest issue with the Zebralights (except sc600 and sc80) is the very sensitive clicky. It can light up in Your pockets very easy. The low mode of the Zebralights can also be very low (0.2 Lumen) but You need a good timing to switch it on on low level and not medium level.
The SC31 is really tiny, too tiny for me. The HDS are very solid built, but this makes them also very large and heavy.

edc3

Enlightened
I found the SC31 too small also and sold mine. I've got the timing for low down pretty good but every so often I blind myself in the middle of the night. A good work around is to cover the bezel and triple click. Its a more reliable method of turning the light on in low mode when you're half asleep.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SC31w can't replace my 140GT but I do have a special place for the little fella..........

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
The low mode of the Zebralights can also be very low (0.2 Lumen) but You need a good timing to switch it on on low level and not medium level.
The low on the Zebralights is good enough for many people, but still very, very bright for anyone wanting a super-low level and even though the .07 lumens coming from the Clicky will throw about 30' or so in situations with no atmospheric light problems, it's still far, far lower than .2 coming from the Zebralight.

al93535

Newly Enlightened
Well I ordered one. We will have to see how it goes. I didn't realize the switch was so easy to activate. Thanks for the replies, and I loved the zebralight durability thread!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Please give us a short narrative of how it works out for you after you've had a bit of time to play with it. Regardless of my preference for the Clicky, the SC51w is a light I can't let go of and I'm constantly hoping for a newer version with lower low and less sensitive switching.

thaugen

Enlightened
Personally I find my H31w and HDS High CRI Clicky to be the perfect combination for my daily needs and camping. I can use both as a handheld, but like having the option of using the H31w as a headlamp when necessary. The HDS is bombproof, ultra reliable and just amazing to use and hold. Both these lights use the same battery type and I could not imagine living without either of them.