A Couple of Newbie Questions

feathers73

Newly Enlightened
I'm new here and did some research and can't quite find answers to my questions. First, where can I go to learn more about tactical flashlights, how they work, troubleshooting, spec etc? Second, where can I get a storage case for CR123 batteries? Something to carry in my backpack. Thanks

SoCalDep

Newly Enlightened
First, where can I go to learn more about tactical flashlights, how they work, troubleshooting, spec etc?

I think much depends on what exactly you want to do with the light...If you are talking light/gun techniques or low light tactics there is Surefire Institute or Strategos International, among others. If you are simply talking about technical information, it is available from manufacturers, or to a greater extent (probably with some searching) through this forum. Is there a specific light or lights you are looking at?

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
The most durable/compact cases are the Surefire SC series cases (SC1, SC2, SC3). Pelicans are also good, but take up a little more room. I can fit 24 CR123's in a pelican 1010 case.

Oh, and Welcome to CPF!

feathers73

Newly Enlightened
I found some of the surefire battery storage containers. I also picked up a Backup and a 6PX Defender. Thanks for the suggestions.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just watch out for "tactical" as it's a major buzz word for selling flashlights, as well as all sorts of other things, there's loads of stuff out there that's technically "tactical", but not so practical.

spc smith

Enlightened
Theres so many variations of what tactical means. Do you intend to use the light with gloves in cold winter weather and in the dark? Do you want simplicity to the user interface (button placement) of the light? Do you want a light that works well for area or distance illumination? Do you want A light that has Multi level so you can save battery life? Id reccommend at least what I have on order for myself, the Klarus XT11. There is also the Sunwayman T20CS, Olight M20X, Thrunite TN10, TN11, Fenix TK21 and many others. It's what your job demands though, and the Klarus XT11 hands down has the best tactical UI (User Interface) to date of any other light. Research each one though to see what your requirements are specifically of your "ideal tactical light". Welcome to CPF feathers73!