Brighter: 3xAA Minimaglite or Fenix E21?

river251

Newly Enlightened
Can get a 3xAA Minimaglite for about $22 or a Fenix E21 for about $32 on Amazon right now. Which is brighter? Is one more flood/throw than the other?

I presume longer battery life on the 3xAA but don't care.

Thanks much....

Jim

PerttiK

Enlightened
I'm not certain how many lumens that maglite has but I would bet that E21 has more lumens and double the runtime on low mode than that maglite.
Maglite might have 30-40 lumens, it has quite old luxeon emitter.
The maglite might have better throw.

river251

Newly Enlightened
I'm not certain how many lumens that maglite has but I would bet that E21 has more lumens and double the runtime on low mode than that maglite.
Maglite might have 30-40 lumens, it has quite old luxeon emitter.
The maglite might have better throw.

Thanks. Well obviously I'm a rookie, but I would have figured more lumens equals more throw. Maybe it's all going to the side. Thanks for the reply.

ico

Enlightened
The E21 uses an XPE. Also its output is regulated. 2hrs on high at 150lumens and 10hrs on low at 45lumens.
I think the minimag is not regulated

Fritzstone

Newly Enlightened
I am not certain about the 3AA mini mag, however, the Pro+ mini mag (~$30) is a very nice light, with a much better feel of quality than my Fenix E21 Chi-com light, not to mention the intensely brighter light that it (Pro+) produces. I put my E21 away in favor of this upgraded true American classic, and plan on purchasing a few more for each room in my castle. Also, I cannot wait for the new Maglite Tac-lite coming soon!
:thanks:

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can get a 3xAA Minimaglite for about $22 or a Fenix E21 for about $32 on Amazon right now. Which is brighter? Is one more flood/throw than the other?

I presume longer battery life on the 3xAA but don't care.

Thanks much....

Jim

E21, hands down.