score!

brandocommando

Enlightened
Well I placed a DX order about 2 months ago. Several bits and pieces of flashlight parts, that have been trickling in, 1 or 2 pieces at a time for the last few weeks...

I got a package a couple weeks ago that had 1 led in it, and that was all. I got another package a couple days ago that had 2 more led's and some MCPCB's. (The order is still not all here yet.):mad:

Anyhow, I got around to putting them away in my led storage box today, and upon closer inspection it appears they sent me an EZ900!:)

Score!

What do you think?

(Oh yeah, they are supposedly neutral white also!)

007-3.jpg

019-4.jpg

I think I will put it in a maglight with one of the huge DX aspheric lenses, (I have 3 of those...)

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Re: DX score!

I heard the 900 die is more fragile and can't handle the heat as well as the 1000 when driven hard. If that is true, would it really be a score? I have a couple 900s in P60 hosts, slightly tighter spot the the 1000. I'm only pushing them with ~1.2A though. Good for around 180 OTF.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast

The only reason they would be worse at handling heat would be the decreased contact area. But also surface area of the heat generating part is reduced. IMO, if there are two LEDs of the same output bin, but one is an EZ900 and one is an EZ1000, then the EZ900 material is more efficient because if it were scaled up to an ez1000 sized die, it would be in a higher bin.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

I purchased about 8 or 10 EZ900 from DX last year. Warm, Neutral, cool white.

Ran mine at 1.2A, 1.4A, and 2A in a 2D Mag and powered by 3 NiMH D Tenergy cells.

I had a huge copper slug as a heatsink, UCL lens, as little resistance as possible ect...

Even at 2A~2.2A the most I got was 230ish OTF lumens but that would drop to 205ish after a couple seconds and stay there.

At 1.2A~1.4A I would only get about 140~160 OTF

At 1.7A or so, it was around 180 OTF lumens.

I just gave up on those XR-E R2 EZ900 from DX and just purchased the Dereelight EZ900 but its $30 bucks cause you have to purchase the entire pill. I havent check the OTF on the Dereelight EZ900 pill yet.

bigC