The POLL - What percentage of members here are Security, LEO and Military?

Please indicate which option best fits you

• Military (Active)

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Military (Retired)

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • LEO (Active)

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • LEO (Retired)

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Security (Active/Retired)

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • Combination of above Military, LEO, security - active or retired

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • Civilian (not service personnel or security)

Votes: 43 65.2%

• Total voters

ledmitter

Enlightened
What percenage of members here do you think are security, LEO and military?

I'm keen to guess it's a good number. Possibly majority?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Re: What percenage of members here do you think are security, LEO and military?

No, a minority; the complexities of the hobby would require too much time and effort for someone with an on-call/situation-critical job that already involves a load of other equipment to worry about. Most pro guys will research and get an informed opinion on a light for a specific application and then that's essentially an end on it, got that weapon/search light problem taken care of, on to the next thing.

If I had to put a number on it, certainly less than 10%, possibly less than 5%.

TEEJ

Flashaholic

Its a vocal minority if I had to guess.

If you read EDC threads...there will be a LOT of them...if you read the aspherical thrower threads, etc...fewer, and so forth.

If you want a quick count as to who's online in that field, throw a subject line that has the word strobe in it for example, and all of them will pop over to check it out....BOTH to scoff at its uselessness AND to praise its value...depending on what type of LEO, etc, environment and training they have, etc.

Its like moths to a flame.

:D

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don't forget to count former military/LEO personnel. We tend to have vocal opinions one way or the other on subjects that matter, professionally speaking, to us rather than the more exotic or esoteric aspects of the hobby.

-Trevor

Ragnar66

Enlightened

Im LEO and I came here for informed opinions then I got hooked.....and BTW I love strobes....

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast

No! No strobe debates! This thread is too new to go down in flames this quickly! :nana:

-Trevor

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast

Also an LEO...................I like strobes

SoCalDep

Newly Enlightened

Its a vocal minority if I had to guess.

If you read EDC threads...there will be a LOT of them...if you read the aspherical thrower threads, etc...fewer, and so forth.

If you want a quick count as to who's online in that field, throw a subject line that has the word strobe in it for example, and all of them will pop over to check it out....BOTH to scoff at its uselessness AND to praise its value...depending on what type of LEO, etc, environment and training they have, etc.

Its like moths to a flame.

:D

That there is funny stuff!

...and probably very true.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

From my time on here, I'd gather roughly 15%. Why not start a poll?

1) Military (Active)
2) Military (Retired)
3) LEO (Active)
4) LEO (Retired)
5) Security (Active/Retired)
6) Combination of above

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast

From my time on here, I'd gather roughly 15%. Why not start a poll?

1) Military (Active)
2) Military (Retired)
3) LEO (Active)
4) LEO (Retired)
6) Combination of above

Wouldn't the poll need a civilian option as well, otherwise you can't work out what proportion of users here are LEO/Military?

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've met several CPF members over the years, mostly British, I think the total number is around seventeen in all and corresponded with a few as well, say another ten? Total twenty-seven CPFers in the last four years - the number of LEO's amongst them?

One only. That works out at 3.7%.

Small sample, I know, but interesting nonetheless.

What is more interesting is the percentage of really nice chaps amongst all the CPFers I've met, you know, how many of them would you get on with and pass a pleasant day talking about many things?

One hundred percent. That's all of them.

Splendid chaps, the CPF.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've met several CPF members over the years, mostly British, I think the total number is around seventeen in all and corresponded with a few as well, say another ten? Total twenty-seven CPFers in the last four years - the number of LEO's amongst them?

One only. That works out at 3.7%.

Small sample, I know, but interesting nonetheless.

What is more interesting is the percentage of really nice chaps amongst all the CPFers I've met, you know, how many of them would you get on with and pass a pleasant day talking about many things?

One hundred percent. That's all of them.

Splendid chaps, the CPF.

Agreed, Nyco!

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast

CPF probably started out at a higher percentage of members being prior LE, FD, or Military experience, but then more civilian members started to join. Nothing wrong with that, as there are many civilian members that are extremely knowledgeable. Just my 2 cents. Flashlights have many uses, not just for LE or Military or FD. I am currently retired from LE after 24 years. ;)

deckofficer

Newly Enlightened

My guess would be a higher percentage than other forums, such as a car forum. How about Unlimited Tonnage Deck Officers in the Merchant Marine? My guess would be .0015% of the 6660 "active" members and .000073% of "total" members if my math is correct. lol

Norm

Retired Administrator

CPF probably started out at a higher percentage of members being prior LE, FD, or Military experience, but then more civilian members started to join. Nothing wrong with that, as there are many civilian members that are extremely knowledgeable. Just my 2 cents. Flashlights have many uses, not just for LE or Military or FD. I am currently retired from LE after 24 years. ;)

Just wondering why you think the members would have originally comprised a higher percentage of uniformed members?

I suspect that the original population of CPF would have comprised a higher percentage of electronic hobbyists than the current membership, which would have included a percentage of uniformed folks.

As commercial high power flashlights have become available the forum has changed from being a hobbyist forum to a flashlight consumer forum. It is no longer economical build when you can buy a finished product cheaper than an equivalent build.

Norm

Last edited:

spc smith

Enlightened

Before I was a soldier, I was first a hobbyist specifically of high output LED flashlights. But I now use the fruits of all CPFer's thoughts, reviews and opinions to evaluate which light I want or need next. The Klarus XT11 caught my attention with the UI.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just wondering why you think the members would have originally comprised a higher percentage of uniformed members?

I suspect that the original population of CPF would have comprised a higher percentage of electronic hobbyists than the current membership, which would have included a percentage of uniformed folks.

As commercial high power flashlights have become available the forum has changed from being a hobbyist forum to a flashlight consumer forum. It is no longer economical build when you can buy a finished product cheaper than an equivalent build.

Norm

Just my feeling. After all, Surefire lights were developed for LE and Military use. Thus most of the first users were LE and Military personnel. I don't know, maybe I am wrong. I just wish I kept my first few lights that I purchased from Laser Products and Surefire. ;) I can't seem to find any of them.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Following the speculative thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...re-do-you-think-are-security-LEO-and-military

I thought it was time to post an actual poll.

1) Military (Active)
2) Military (Retired)
3) LEO (Active)
4) LEO (Retired)
6) Combination of above Military, LEO, security - active or retired
7) Civilian (not service personnel or security)

I've left the poll as anonymous as some members may not want to be identified as linked to a particular category, so hopefully you can vote in confident anonymity.

Last edited:

Latest posts