SPOT REFLECTORS for the SST-90 LED

bigterk

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have info on tight spot reflectors that can be used with SST-90 emitters ? One of my first projects is going to be based on that emitter. I need some examples of reflectors or need someone to make one so I can machine a housing to hold the LED, reflector, window, and incorporate a heat sink. I plan to machine the housing/ heat sink from a chunk of copper. I am hoping to have a part that is functional, ( Thermodynamicly sound ) and attractive.

bigterk

Newly Enlightened
What size host? For a tight spot an SST-90 needs a really big reflector!

The size does not matter at this point, I am going to build around what is needed to produce a 5 to 7 degree spot. I have the luxury of having a daughter who is solid works certified and I have machines at my disposal to make the housing that will contain the components. I will draw it in 2D she will draw it in 3D then I will make it when it looks like everything will fit!

bigterk

Newly Enlightened
What size host? For a tight spot an SST-90 needs a really big reflector!

The size does not matter at this point, I am going to build around what is needed to produce a 5 to 7 degree spot. I have the luxury of having a daughter who is solid works certified and I have machines at my disposal to make the housing that will contain the components. I will draw it in 2D she will draw it in 3D then I will make it when it looks like everything will fit!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The 4" diameter of the Olight SR90 would be a starting point...with larger and deeper being even better.

There is also the new version of the same emitter that comes de-domed (w/o a dome) for increased throw...and with higher emitter lumens to boot.

brandocommando

Enlightened
Check out the ST90 Search and Rescue, made by Electrolumens.

It has a massive reflector! If you can get your hands on one of those reflectors you would be set I think.

95mm reflector, with a 5.5 degree beam.

Last edited:

MikeAusC

Enlightened
Beam WIDTH is determined only by the Focal Length of the optics - i.e. the curvature of the reflector.

The diameter determines how much of the LEDs light is collected i.e. brightness of the spot.

The fill brightness (direct light from the LED) is determined by the open angle of the reflector

sadtimes

Enlightened
TEEJ said:
The 4" diameter of the Olight SR90 would be a starting point...with larger and deeper being even better.

There is also the new version of the same emitter that comes de-domed (w/o a dome) for increased throw...and with higher emitter lumens to boot.

Got a link to this dedomed 90?

Hoop

Enlightened
I have been looking into reflectors lately as I am searching for a good spot reflector for the Luminus CSM-360 led. The reflector in the Elektro Lumens light looks to be the 5* reflector from Illumination Machines, which I have posted about HERE. The minimum order qty is 10, which I purchased, so I have some to spare if you want one. Overseas shipping is cost prohibitive but if you are in the USA or Canada we can swing it.

Lighting Science Group makes some reflectors that, while not designed specifically for the SST-90, could probably work. I have ordered one of their massive 151mm Titan 10* viewing angle reflector from digi-key but it will probably be a couple months lead time, if they can get the thing to me. Supposedly they will have some in about 45 days. They have another 10* viewing angle reflector in stock but it doesn't seem durable due to it's design. (would be difficult to house it)

Beyond those reflectors, I purchased a 16* viewing angle Ledil Barbara_S but it looks unimpressive, though I haven't tested it yet, and I also have one of those sst-90 reflectors from DX coming. My next venture is to get a reflector from phoenix electroforms made such that the opening is the focal point. Hopefully they can do that to one of their ready-made designs because I am not going to have a custom mandrel made etc. I will have to give them a call.

daytec

Newly Enlightened
mikeausc,if you are right,and i am sure you are. that is the best explanation i have ever heard............marty

bigterk

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking into reflectors lately as I am searching for a good spot reflector for the Luminus CSM-360 led. The reflector in the Elektro Lumens light looks to be the 5* reflector from Illumination Machines, which I have posted about HERE. The minimum order qty is 10, which I purchased, so I have some to spare if you want one. Overseas shipping is cost prohibitive but if you are in the USA or Canada we can swing it.

Lighting Science Group makes some reflectors that, while not designed specifically for the SST-90, could probably work. I have ordered one of their massive 151mm Titan 10* viewing angle reflector from digi-key but it will probably be a couple months lead time, if they can get the thing to me. Supposedly they will have some in about 45 days. They have another 10* viewing angle reflector in stock but it doesn't seem durable due to it's design. (would be difficult to house it)

Beyond those reflectors, I purchased a 16* viewing angle Ledil Barbara_S but it looks unimpressive, though I haven't tested it yet, and I also have one of those sst-90 reflectors from DX coming. My next venture is to get a reflector from phoenix electroforms made such that the opening is the focal point. Hopefully they can do that to one of their ready-made designs because I am not going to have a custom mandrel made etc. I will have to give them a call.

I will take 2... PM me for contact info

Hoop

Enlightened
So I got a present from KaiDomain. That 151mm Titan optic came in. It is not quite what I expected because the "barrel reflector" was not shown in the product drawing/data sheets so I thought it was simply a reflector. The focal point seems to be in the reflector quite a ways so the barrel reflector is most likely requisite. This would probably work well with an SST-90 or XML, though it is overly gigantic for flashlight use. I am not sure it will work out for my CSM-360 project however. I do not have the LED's to test my reflectors just yet.
titan151mmref1.jpg

titan151mmref2.jpg

bigterk

Newly Enlightened
So I got a present from KaiDomain. That 151mm Titan optic came in. It is not quite what I expected because the "barrel reflector" was not shown in the product drawing/data sheets so I thought it was simply a reflector. The focal point seems to be in the reflector quite a ways so the barrel reflector is most likely requisite. This would probably work well with an SST-90 or XML, though it is overly gigantic for flashlight use. I am not sure it will work out for my CSM-360 project however. I do not have the LED's to test my reflectors just yet.
titan151mmref1.jpg

titan151mmref2.jpg
what was the part number for that monster, I am also working on a CSM-360 project, it looks like a cutout may be needed for the terminals, hard to tell.