New lights by Streamlight: Super Tac X and TRL-1 HP are amazing!

jerrysimons

Newly Enlightened
I got my hands on these two Streamlights today at the local gun store and WOW! I was impressed! Anybody seen or bought these? What did you think?

Links (I hope these being manufacture website links are not forbidden):
Super Tac X--
http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=221

TRL-1 HP--
http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=251
cf. the standard TRL-1--
http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=80

These two lights share the same goods it seems. From the spec sheets the LEDs, and drivers (based on the output and runtime on 2x CR123a) are about the same.
Also the reflectors I noticed were the exact same size, and man do these throw! I was astounded at how tight the hotspots were. In my coat pocket I had my 4sevens G5 (R5 bin) with a fresh 18650 and compared beams on the wall. The hotspots on the Streamlights were probably 10 maybe 15% smaller and were sharply defined, whereas the G5's hotspot spilled out more from the brightest center.
All that to say I wish I could have brought one of them home to match them up for some outdoor beamshots. I bet the G5 would get spanked.
To bad my pocket book said no, I just bought from 4sevens a Quark Turbo X, Maelstrom X10, and Quark X 123X2 Tactical. Maybe next time

I did notice a couple negatives.
1.) The lenses are not glass, they are a plastic that scratches very easily; after wiping the dust off scratches were apparent on the lens.
2.) The reflector housing looks and feels like it could get dented pretty easily, the aluminum didn't seem very thick.
3.) The water resistance is only IPEX 7 versus many other lights IPEX 8 rating.
4.) I don't think RCR 123a cells are supported.

This would not stop me from getting both items though. The super Tac X was 79.99 and the TRL-1 HP was 121.99.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
does Streamlight under-rate their lights like Surefire? it looks like they've got the Super Tac X and TRL-1 HP rated at 'only' 200 lumens, i'm sure they output more than that right? I'm guessing Streamlight is just erring on the side of caution perhaps

but as to your negatives, yeah plastic lenses/windows are a bad idea, imo. i've seen some streamlights that had partially melted holes in the center of their plastic lenses.

jerrysimons

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if they under rate them but the are apart of the ANSI standardization, which I think I remember reading from selfbuilt that output is measure after 30 seconds runtime. So it would be a little higher, I imagine, but not by much.
I was amazed how bright the 200 lumen beam was compared to the G5's 280ish OTF lumens (via selfbuilt and ti-force not the specified 350 I wish it would do).

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember the origional Supertac would throw Over 250feet with only 135 lumen rated.
I'm excited about the bump up to 200 lumens. What does the new packaging look like ?

jerrysimons

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, the thing looked as bright as the G5 just with a tighter beam. It was in a white cardboard box, with the orange and black Streamlight colors if i remember right. It is marked with the "X" in "Super Tac X" and has the specs printed on the back. Overall the packaging was nice and clean without looking cheep.

purelite

Enlightened
If i rememeber right, the Supertac had a possible "flaw in construction"? the head would seperate from the body and not be repairable?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The 40k - 46k cd ratings for the two stronger ones are very good!

:D

GreySave

Enlightened
My first generation SuperTac at 135 lumens will easily throw a very useable beam for 450 feet as measured in true dark conditions at an exercise a few years back. Just shows you how much the reflector design impacts what you can do with a light. No loose head issues on mine but only used light to moderately as it is a specialized light.

jerrysimons

Newly Enlightened
That is pretty good GraySave! I am looking for at least 100 yards of useful and focused beam but in well from true dark conditions, more like in a lit parking lot conditions.