Zebralight Q50 Alternative

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

I had been waiting patiently for the very interesting Q50... it was shaping up to be my light of the year!

...But it seems that we may well be waiting forever... No sign of it many months past when it was supposed to be launched.

So my question here is, what would be a good alternative? (Well, knowing me and all of us, a good "meantime" light, since I'll probably still have to pick it up when it does eventually launch...)

Things I love about it:
-Super bright (>500 lumens; apparently this puppy can hit 800!)
-AA/Eneloop optimized (rather than lithium rechargeables)
-Compact size
-Floody (presumably, and this is relative of course)
-Good quality (I love Zebralight's build quality in general)

Is there anything quite like it?

I've tried to look a bit, but I'm less familiar with Sunwayman (though I'm very intrigued by some of their offerings!) and even Nitecore and Fenix have new and somewhat complex lines these days... FOURSEVENS is a favorite of mine, but they don't have anything quite like this.

Thanks, team!

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put 'CYCLONE C88 U2' into google and you might like what you see.

Not so floody, but 3-mode regulated with good finish/design, 3x AA, XM-L with tint choices all for $45 shipped

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not so floody, but 3-mode regulated with good finish/design, 3x AA, XM-L with tint choices all for $45 shipped
Very neat, RedForest!
I want to check this out! Thank you!

What about the Olight Baton series lights? http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?325407-Olight-Baton-S35-amp-S65-(XM-L-3xAA-and-6xAA)-Review-RUNTIMES-VIDEOS-BEAMSHOTS

O
light and 4sevens are pretty much the same company. Although I've always found it weird when electronics take batteries in sets of 3.
VERY nice, indeed! I love that review in general... I want to look at the Baton series lights and the others that Self Built compares them to:
Olight S35 3xAA: Weight 177.3g, Length: 127.7mm, Width (bezel): 38.7mm
JetBeam PA40 4xAA: Weight: 184.0g, Length: 183mm, Width: 40.8mm (bezel), 42.1mm (max width)
Sunwayman M40A 4xAA: Weight: 247.0g , Length: 145mm, Width 57.0mm (bezel)

Wow! Between the Olight S35, the JetBeam PA40 and the Sunwayman M40A, do folks have thoughts? Hmmm...

Thanks, trevordurden!!

-Apple

Phos4

Newly Enlightened
I think you are foolish to pass up the zebra. period..! it will come, but maybe some of the young people on here can use the face books or facespace or whatever it may be, to contact the company and explain thaat we are getting impatient here. It will take me even longer to get it down here, but i might come up north to receive it if they will ship to a po box. at any rate, you ought to consider the surefire ub3t invictus: you should probably have it already, before buying these lesser lites! ha, ha! just kiddong!

i vote: sunwayman. i got to play with a proto of the elvin one (it might be out by now finalY) and it is darn impressive, almost seems like a little jewel. so i don't know about the m40 one but i like sunwayman (way of the sun! ha!) company and think they probably would hold true to their word if pushed, if you catch my meaning. thanks for tuning in!
-Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
-Phos4, patriot, merc and wounded fighter, dishonrably discharged to serve a greater goods

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you are foolish to pass up the zebra. period..! it will come, but maybe some of the young people on here can use the face books or facespace or whatever it may be, to contact the company and explain thaat we are getting impatient here. It will take me even longer to get it down here, but i might come up north to receive it if they will ship to a po box. at any rate, you ought to consider the surefire ub3t invictus: you should probably have it already, before buying these lesser lites! ha, ha! just kiddong!

i vote: sunwayman. i got to play with a proto of the elvin one (it might be out by now finalY) and it is darn impressive, almost seems like a little jewel. so i don't know about the m40 one but i like sunwayman (way of the sun! ha!) company and think they probably would hold true to their word if pushed, if you catch my meaning. thanks for tuning in!
-Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
-Phos4, patriot, merc and wounded fighter, dishonrably discharged to serve a greater goods

Thanks, Phos4. I am interested in the Sunwayman lights for sure, and no worries--I will not pass up the Zebra... just looking for something in the meantime.

Scubie67

Enlightened
None of those lights are easily Pocketable/EDC which was one of the appeals that the Q50 had

Mr_Moe

Newly Enlightened
Tempting... I might have to pull trigger! Thanks, Mr. Moe!

You won't regret it if you do. Mine is one of my favorite lights and once you hold it you'll notice that photos can't do it justice. It's quite compact and lightweight.

Phos4

Newly Enlightened
You won't regret it if you do. Mine is one of my favorite lights and once you hold it you'll notice that photos can't do it justice. It's quite compact and lightweight.
i have been fearful of sun-way-men lives
apple--i follow you a lot (not a creep! just like how you think!) so your duty is to report on this light
if good, i will by one too
and also will report to the team of cpf here

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened

What's the actual output for the CYCLONE C88 U2? Anyone know? That's a real nice light RedForest.

What about the Olight Baton series lights? http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?325407-Olight-Baton-S35-amp-S65-(XM-L-3xAA-and-6xAA)-Review-RUNTIMES-VIDEOS-BEAMSHOTS

O
light and 4sevens are pretty much the same company. Although I've always found it weird when electronics take batteries in sets of 3.

Nearly the same company?

To Mr. applvision

Not quite compact but I hope you don't mind me giving my 2 lumens as I was looking for a meantime light too.
I had a PA40 at first and sold it for the S65 to try it. I mention the S65 because it's nearly the same as the S35 but with 6AAs. I ended up selling the S65 and getting another PA40(with SMO, around 8,000 lux) as I just love this light. I was never really satisified with the S65. This was my alternative to the Q50.

The Sunwayman M40A looks awesome, are you getting the XM-L version? I'd love to hear how you like the light. Sunwayman lights have always looked very high quality. Please let us know.

Last edited:

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
To Mr. applvision

Not quite compact but I hope you don't mind me giving my 2 lumens as I was looking for a meantime light too.
I had a PA40 at first and sold it for the S65 to try it. I mention the S65 because it's nearly the same as the S35 but with 6AAs. I ended up selling the S65 and getting another PA40(with SMO, around 8,000 lux) as I just love this light. I was never really satisified with S65. This was my alternative to the Q50.

The Sunwayman M40A looks awesome, are you getting the XM-L version? I'd love to hear how you like the light. Sunwayman lights have always looked very high quality. Please let us know.

I've ordered the M40A and will report back asap. I'm thinking about the PA40 as well--thank you for the advice--it also looks awesome.

Thanks, guys!

T-roc87

Newly Enlightened
I have owned a sunwayman M40a XLM for about 6 months and love it. Great build quality. I replaced my fenix tk40 with it and was never dissapointed. I would recommend this light. The only down side is its a lot bigger than the q50 but it sure throws. Its also still feels small especially compared to my tk40.

bigfish5

Newly Enlightened
I have actually been waiting for the s5310. It would be my first zebralight, but it seems zebralight just likes to tease. The s5310 will be more pocketable than the q50 and still max out at 750 lumens.

Incidentalist

Enlightened
I've got both versions of the M40A, an M30A, and the S35. They are all nice lights in regards to fit/finish and overall quality.

I really love the M40A (that's why I bought both versions). I find it to be a comfortable size to hold for extended lengths of time and the ring is a great UI. I like the lower low of the MCE, but other than that I prefer the XML version.

That said, I'd also highly recommend the S35 if you plan on carrying the light on your person or in a pack as it's significantly smaller although not as powerful. I have the neutral version that came in the hiker package. It also included a nice diffuser, not sure if that comes with it if purchased alone. The side mounted button interface is super easy to use and this light is also comfortable to hold.

The M30A is now available with an XML. I have the original XPG version, so I can't comment on brightness/beam of the XML. What I can comment on is the body. The battery tube is similar to the S35 with a bezel size more comparable to the M40A, quite a difference. It's not going to be an easy light to carry on the person or even in a holster IMO. I think it would be more useful around the house or as a car/truck light.

I don't have the JetBeam, but I've heard good things. I really don't think you will go wrong with any of these options and the best light will be determined by the intended use.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have owned a sunwayman M40a XLM for about 6 months and love it. Great build quality. I replaced my fenix tk40 with it and was never dissapointed. I would recommend this light. The only down side is its a lot bigger than the q50 but it sure throws. Its also still feels small especially compared to my tk40.
Thank you, T-roc87!

I have actually been waiting for the s5310. It would be my first zebralight, but it seems zebralight just likes to tease. The s5310 will be more pocketable than the q50 and still max out at 750 lumens.
Agreed, bigfish5. I'm interested in the s5310 too...and also am sad that they keep teasing us!

I've got both versions of the M40A, an M30A, and the S35. They are all nice lights in regards to fit/finish and overall quality.

I really love the M40A (that's why I bought both versions). I find it to be a comfortable size to hold for extended lengths of time and the ring is a great UI. I like the lower low of the MCE, but other than that I prefer the XML version.

That said, I'd also highly recommend the S35 if you plan on carrying the light on your person or in a pack as it's significantly smaller although not as powerful. I have the neutral version that came in the hiker package. It also included a nice diffuser, not sure if that comes with it if purchased alone. The side mounted button interface is super easy to use and this light is also comfortable to hold.

The M30A is now available with an XML. I have the original XPG version, so I can't comment on brightness/beam of the XML. What I can comment on is the body. The battery tube is similar to the S35 with a bezel size more comparable to the M40A, quite a difference. It's not going to be an easy light to carry on the person or even in a holster IMO. I think it would be more useful around the house or as a car/truck light.

I don't have the JetBeam, but I've heard good things. I really don't think you will go wrong with any of these options and the best light will be determined by the intended use.
Thanks, Inci! As always, appreciate your wisdom.

Incidentalist

Enlightened
I've really gotten into these multi-AA lights over the last year or so. My family has a vacation home that is somewhat rural and as a true flashaholic I've had to stock up on enough flashlights for everybody should the need arise. With the high price and limited availability of CR123s there, I've decided to go exclusively with AA/AAA lights. With these newer 3 and 4xAA lights, I really don't feel that I have to give up much in terms of power and overall usefulness compared to my 1x18650 lights that I use around my regular house.

Mr_Moe

Newly Enlightened
...The M30A is now available with an XML. I have the original XPG version, so I can't comment on brightness/beam of the XML. What I can comment on is the body. The battery tube is similar to the S35 with a bezel size more comparable to the M40A, quite a difference. It's not going to be an easy light to carry on the person or even in a holster IMO. I think it would be more useful around the house or as a car/truck light...

Hadn't been aware of the updated M30A. Going to check that out. Always wanted to get one, but wasn't impressed that according to one reviewer the output is actually less than specified on low and medium (if I remember correctly). Might have to get one of the XM-L versions.

Like some of you I was also hoping to see the ZL s5310. Too bad there are no news.