Efficiency of aluminum reflectors? Has anyone ever considered trying BoPET/Mylar?

Jayls5

Newly Enlightened
I did try to look up the efficiency ratings of aluminum reflectors, and I just got a bunch of garbled results. How efficient is your average flashlight aluminum reflector, smooth and OP?

I know mylar can be form fitted and is highly reflective. Has anyone considered giving this a try, or is aluminum already comparable in terms of % of light reflected?

CKOD

Enlightened
The reflectivity of a reflector depends more on its surface coating than its substrate. The surface finish of the substrate can affect how "ideal" the reflector is, but most reflectors are vapor deposited aluminum coated. The mylar films are probably just aluminum coated also. As far as reflectivity, aluminum is one of the best choices for reflectivity without going to exotic metals. IIRC, rhodium plating can exceed aluminum, but that makes for a pricy reflector. I belive "Ra" used a rhodium coated reflector in some of his HID/short arc mods.

Jayls5

Newly Enlightened
I did see that mylar has a thin film of metals (via vapor deposition), sometimes gold, aluminum, and other. The wiki article does say it can reflect up to 99%, which is why I was trying to get a number on the reflectors typically used on flashlights.

CKOD

Enlightened
I did see that mylar has a thin film of metals (via vapor deposition), sometimes gold, aluminum, and other. The wiki article does say it can reflect up to 99%, which is why I was trying to get a number on the reflectors typically used on flashlights.

Its a pretty safe bet that unless someone is advertising it as something special, PVD aluminum was used on the reflector, as its cheap in bulk production runs, and the 99% applies to the reflector coating also, its just that, the more OP the reflector has, the more light that goes places it shouldnt (or is reflected multiple times and that 1% adds up over and over) and ends up being lost, in addition to losses in the lens.

A cnc lathe turned aluminum reflector vs a thermoformed (???) mylar film with the same coating should perform the same. With the aluminum reflector having the advantage of being thermally conductive (matters in stuff like P60 reflectors) and stronger, and more temperature resistant.

However, carve a reflector at home, apply spray glue, and line it with aluminized mylar, and it could be a decent start to a DIY reflector. :D

Kozzy72

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
1st time here and post.

I was wondering if anyone has buffed out aluminum reflectors that are dinghy? I have some of these and any help would be appreciated. These are store-bought work-shop types/trouble lights and I have 23 watt CF's in them. I'm using them in my basement to light up my shop area.

What's the best way to buff out the blurriness that is on them?

Thanks!

Kozzy72

Flashlight Enthusiast
a well built aluminum reflector, is the best reflective surface possible for visible light

aluminum is the choice for multi-million dollar optics used in science and military applications