The Big Bruiser lives up to its name

deckofficer

Newly Enlightened
These are new to me, I know they have been around for awhile, but just bought it last week and received it today. The battery for it, ordered from a battery vendor, came in last week. The LED flashlight is custom built by Wayne in Oregon. Uses Three Cree XM-L LEDs, 1000 lumens each, a total of 3000 lumens, and it is bright. Uses one 26650 or 26700A LIMN battery rated at 3600 mA/hr 3.7 volts and the light pulls 12 amps, so run time is around 22 minutes. But here is the math 3.7 X 12 [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]= 44.4 watts. Now I know your thinking a 60 watt incandescent isn't so bright for a household bulb, but your forgetting lumen output for LEDs are 10 times that of incandescent, so now those 3000 lumens is around what a 444 watt (500 watt if you will) shop light puts out. And it is directed light instead 360*.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Notice the heat fins on this Big Bruiser? That is its name. Milled from a solid chunk of [/FONT]aluminum.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]This is home lightning by some globed CFs.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]This is with the older power light, the good old 6 volt lantern with a 20 watt quartz bulb.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]And the LED Big Bruiser.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif] [/FONT]

Just porch lights

The 6 volt lantern style beam light.

The Big Bruiser LED

[/FONT]

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow 12 Amps, scary. If that thing shorted out, you'd have a pipe bomb for sure. :)

deckofficer

Newly Enlightened
The drawback with 12 amps is a good quality 26650 with a 4000 mA/hr capacity is rated at 1C discharge, so it doesn't want more than a 4 amp draw. I had to do some shopping (Wayne is out of batteries), and finally found 3600 mA/hr that are rated for a 5C discharge, good to 18 amps, so got some headroom.

Draven451

Enlightened
The neighbors must tell you to turn the spotlight off when your shining it around the backyard :)

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting those fun shots! I've really enjoyed playing with the Big Bruiser as well.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Love me some BB.

:D

Its a great flood light...really lights up even a big room.

Outside, over 200 yards away is still lit up...with no hot spot.

:devil:

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really have to look into one of these. My big thing is, how does he make them so cheap? Isn't this light $150? I feel like the big 3 x XM-L lights from any of the reputable manufacturers are at least that much. I guess because there is no driver/clicky switch/multiple battery tubes etc? And I could swear he does them in neutral. I just might have to do it...

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I really have to look into one of these. My big thing is, how does he make them so cheap? Isn't this light $150? I feel like the big 3 x XM-L lights from any of the reputable manufacturers are at least that much. I guess because there is no driver/clicky switch/multiple battery tubes etc? And I could swear he does them in neutral. I just might have to do it...

LOL

Its because they are ON SALE!!!!

They will go back up when the sale is over...so if you want one for $150....this is the time.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you point me in the direction of those cells you found?

The drawback with 12 amps is a good quality 26650 with a 4000 mA/hr capacity is rated at 1C discharge, so it doesn't want more than a 4 amp draw. I had to do some shopping (Wayne is out of batteries), and finally found 3600 mA/hr that are rated for a 5C discharge, good to 18 amps, so got some headroom.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Haven't had the chance for distance measurements, but at 100 yards does a fair job. I'm not holding much hope for 200 yards.

6849884197_b24aa6463c_z.jpg

Control - Dark (Camera Flash Only)

Note that you can't see the bottoms or any parts of the transmission towers lower than the tree line, or telephone poles or deer, etc...in the control shot.
Any of that you can see with the Big Bruiser on, are lit up by the BB

6849884485_e3fba2f742_z.jpg

Big Bruiser...133 Meters to the first Power Line Transmission Tower, 405 M to the second one.
Its 186 M to the Second Telephone Pole...non-reflective brown wood against a background of woods...and its visible at 186 M.

I don't have a measurement on the deer, but they were roaming around ~ 1/2 way between the first Tower and the Second Pole.

6849886659_55f48dc5f9_z.jpg

BB- If you look hard enough, you can see a third telephone pole past the second one...that's 259 M!

So - As you can see, while the "Throw" is just how far the flood of light reaches...its got the juice to allow a lot more range than you thought.

So, while it doesn't have bragging rights compared to my SR90 ...
6849887521_bda9b39080_z.jpg

(You can see the SR90 IS a thrower here...all the telephone poles are 73 M apart, the towers are 293 M apart)

...You can also see the SR90 is no flood light either.

Last edited:

deckofficer

Newly Enlightened
Well I'm impressed. And it wasn't total darkness yet. Either you modded your BB, or I have lower output. Or my camera does not have the low lux of yours or I can't see with my aged eyes objects receiving light at that distance, but from my little experimenting last night, if anyone asked how far my BB could light up, I have to stay with the 100 yards I saw last night.