Issue with Surefire e1e / Veleno 3 mode drop in

krevo

Newly Enlightened
I just recently picked up a brand new Surefire E1E and the new Veleno 3 mode HCRI drop in.

When I tested the light with the standard bulb/surefire 123 cell it works perfectly. I inserted the veleno drop in and a fully charged AW rcr123 cell and the light wouldn't come on. I unscrewed both the head and tail, retightened and the light came on when I pressed the switch. I cycled through the modes and was able to use the light with the clicky switch. When I picked it up about 10 minutes later, it wouldn't turn on. I unscrewed/rescrewed the head / tail and tapped the head lightly in my hand and it fired up. When it was on, I tapped the head lightly in my hand again and it cut off. Nothing from the switch at all.

I've heard these used to ship with a strip of copper because sometimes the heads were slightly out of spec and the drop in didn't fit well. Any ideas what the problem could be?

Also mods - please feel free to move this thread to the appropriate forum if I have posted it incorrectly.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Krevo,

I went ahead and contacted Steve when I saw this thread - He informed me that you've found a solution with the copper tape!
Please let me know if there is anything else steve or I can do for you.

I haven't heard of many problems but I'll also start including a little bit of 1/4" copper tape with veleno dropin orders :) I was under the impression that Steve got the fit pretty well but it seems that Surefire has been having some odd levels of tolerance.

Craig

krevo

Newly Enlightened
Hey Krevo,

I went ahead and contacted Steve when I saw this thread - He informed me that you've found a solution with the copper tape!
Please let me know if there is anything else steve or I can do for you.

I haven't heard of many problems but I'll also start including a little bit of 1/4" copper tape with veleno dropin orders :) I was under the impression that Steve got the fit pretty well but it seems that Surefire has been having some odd levels of tolerance.

Craig

No worries. I think the fact that the E1E I had was from 2008 might mean it was part of the older batch. Not sure if the newer lights are tighter but it's almost impossible to get a more recent build of the E1E anymore. It hasn't had a single hiccup since I secured with a bit of copper tape.

S1LVA

Enlightened
I found that I have to tighten the head a good bit to get a solid contact. Not like I needed a vice grip or anything, but just beyond snug.

Gravelrash, I have one for sale in the custom b/s/t section!

S1LVA

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I added copper tape to mine as well. Copper tape will work. I've used mine a lot and have had zero problems with it.