Are you color blind?

krevo

Newly Enlightened
Just tested it. I'm not colorblind. (my wife would disagree though based on how I dress :nana:)

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I'm shy on red reception and some green reception according to the tests.

PayBack

Enlightened
I'm shy on red reception and some green reception according to the tests.

I haven't done the test but know I'm a bit shy on red. For instance my friends pointing out my red laser dot at long range, and me going "where?... where?" and it not being a particular "bright" colour as it supposedly is.

benthiccracker

Enlightened
I am surprised this thread is getting so many hits. I am glad to be a help in some small way, so many people on CPF are so helpfull to me!

Richub

Enlightened
I know I have deuteranomaly (less sensitive to green light) but this doesn't bother me at all in daily life. I didn't even know I had deuteranomaly until I was well in my thirties.

For me, my colorperception is as good as any others. Only when I do the tests I notice how insensitive I am to green light.

For instance, green and red lasers of the same power have almost the same brightness for me. For most people, green lasers are a lot brighter than red ones of the same power.

OCD

Enlightened
Another test proving what I've known for 20+ years....severely red/green color blind. Found out as a kid at the eye doctor's with the same kind of test. Whenever I take tests like these, I'm always hoping that maybe I'm really not color blind, but the results of every single test are the same. Oh well. :shrug:

Side note: there's a website that sells shirts with some pretty messed up things printed on them. I ran across one that had one of those colorblind test plates on it. I asked my wife what it said since I couldn't read it. Once she managed to stop laughing, she told me it says "f%$k the colored blind!" Kinda made me mad and laugh all at the same time.:ironic:

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
While most of us are not color blind and are considered normal Trichromats, some of us might be Tetrachromats. That is, rather than being deficient in color perception and therefore, color blind, you might have "super taster" color vision and be able to see colors that others cannot. Tetrachromacy is a very rare genetic mutation, more common in women, whereby you have four types of receptor cones in your retina instead of the usual three. View the image below and report back here if something happens. Also learn more about this HERE.

Last edited:

PayBack

Enlightened
I know I have deuteranomaly (less sensitive to green light) but this doesn't bother me at all in daily life. I didn't even know I had deuteranomaly until I was well in my thirties.

For me, my colorperception is as good as any others. Only when I do the tests I notice how insensitive I am to green light.

For instance, green and red lasers of the same power have almost the same brightness for me. For most people, green lasers are a lot brighter than red ones of the same power.

That's what I find strange. I'm supposedly Red/Green deficient, but green is way bright for me, Red is hard to see.. I found out early at school in science class.

Some evidence suggests this is a feature, not a fault due to the number of people with this deficiency beeing too high. It may be an evolved trait to help people spot camoflaged predators etc... which is why the Army have found we can spot comoflaged gear better than the average person. (hey it makes me feel better so I'll believe it :D)

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
While most of us are not color blind and are considered normal Trichromats, some of us might be Tetrachromats.

The interesting bit to me is how relative everything is. If 85% of the world was a Tetrachromat, Trichromats would be called blind.

Being a Trichromat married to a Tetrachromate, its handy to ask for razor sharp color differentiation, but decoration is work!

Course the tables are turned with sound, as she's tone-deaf while I can hear things dogs miss and whistle with perfect pitch.

Richub

Enlightened
That's what I find strange. I'm supposedly Red/Green deficient, but green is way bright for me, Red is hard to see.. I found out early at school in science class.

Some evidence suggests this is a feature, not a fault due to the number of people with this deficiency beeing too high. It may be an evolved trait to help people spot camoflaged predators etc... which is why the Army have found we can spot comoflaged gear better than the average person. (hey it makes me feel better so I'll believe it :D)
Looks like you have protanomaly, you are less sensitive to red light. This is a 'brother' of deuteranomaly.
Try a google search on protanomaly for more information.

benthiccracker

Enlightened
This thread has been a fantastic source of information! I didn't realize what i was getting into. It's great, thank you all for contributing.

Ragnar66

Enlightened
I am. I had to pass a test called the D-15 to be hired as a cop. I dont see anything in the "ishihara?" tests. The test is different on a computer screen as well so I'm told.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still pass the test with flying colors. Thanks for the link, I like to double-check once in a while.

Bone_Enterprise

Newly Enlightened
Nothing wrong with my color vision, although I must say the Ishihara tests screwed with me especially since I just dove into it and was looking for numbers, was getting concerned when I saw nothing at first, hehe.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: are you color blind?

No but I already knew I was not C/B. The USAF does not allow color blind folk in my former career field.