Aspherical Lens new source

willieschmidt

Newly Enlightened
Lately I have been dissatisfied with the "Aspherical" offerings from the usual Chinese suspects. Their 50mm and 75mm lenses had swirls, bubbles, multi-image with rejects running 4 to 1 good. I am into larger color emitters so p60 platform isn't what was needed. Found Optolife. Ordered several lens 50mm, 52mm & 80mm. The 50 and 80 rock for flashlight use. Dimensional and optical quality is first rate. The 50mm (A293) can be order with AR coating. The 80mm (A142) comes just plain Pyrex. I tried to order the 60mm but it was out of stock. Although I haven't tried any MG (Melles Griot) lenses the Optolife seem to be a good option. Cheers, Willie

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good find.

I think the MG ones I purchased were 52mm and $27 each. Then with $7~$10 dollar shipping to the U.S. it was almost $37 delivered for just 1 Aspheric. Expensive for just one lens, but alot better than DX or KAI.

bigC

willieschmidt

Newly Enlightened
Current price for the MG is $29 plain $70 AR coated VS Optolife 50mm is $12 plain $16 AR coated. The MG are a Cadillac lens . As bigC says they are the best. The Optolife lens I have received are better than the best of the dozen junk DX,KD, well parts and the rest of the usual Chinese suspects lens.

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah thanks for the heads up on that one. The 50mm one I got was a good performer. Not as good as the MG I had at one point but much better than the DX lenses. The 60mm lens from optolife was atrocious though. Don't bother. Haven't gotten any of the others. Been buying lenses from many different sources lately and getting nothing but junk. Edmunds, Thor, and Rolyn among others. Absolute junk they are selling but you pay top dollar for them. Very frustrated right now.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
What host would u guys recommend for a 50mm lens?

I'd probably want to just epoxy a head to an 18650 light battery tube I've got already.

AR for 16$ is pretty affordable.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been talking about automotive replica lenses. I don't care about throw enough to try them. Maybe someone else does, though. Also, since your aspherics are molded glass, I'd imagine those swirls are hard to cheaply avoid.

willieschmidt

Newly Enlightened
I have been talking about automotive replica lenses. I don't care about throw enough to try them. Maybe someone else does, though. Also, since your aspherics are molded glass, I'd imagine those swirls are hard to cheaply avoid.

Optolife and MG (Melles Griot) are not cast. I believe these are ground lenses.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ahorton 28mm lens is fantastic for its size.
I quite like the DX 44mm aspheric too. Its not that clean but it sure can throw.

What I really want is something inbetween that will work as a MR11 replacement (35mm??)

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^^I think the small sun aspheric is 35mm
It's a got a long focal length compared to the Ahorton.
The whole light is ~16$ so u could just harvest the lens ;)

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
Lately I have been dissatisfied with the "Aspherical" offerings from the usual Chinese suspects. Their 50mm and 75mm lenses had swirls, bubbles, multi-image with rejects running 4 to 1 good. I am into larger color emitters so p60 platform isn't what was needed. Found Optolife. Ordered several lens 50mm, 52mm & 80mm. The 50 and 80 rock for flashlight use. Dimensional and optical quality is first rate. The 50mm (A293) can be order with AR coating. The 80mm (A142) comes just plain Pyrex. I tried to order the 60mm but it was out of stock. Although I haven't tried any MG (Melles Griot) lenses the Optolife seem to be a good option. Cheers, Willie

Do you know if the Optolife 80mm (A142) lens fits in the Gordon 109 LED (Deft) head with just a little grinding of the edge down to 78mm? Or does the edge not have that much to spare, in which case, grinding the inside of the bezel ID would also be necessary? Most importantly, what's the exact distance from the back of the lens to the base of the LED? If that magic number is within reach of what I've built already based on the DX 75mm light, I'd be tempted to gamble the $30 shipped. Thanks.

willieschmidt

Newly Enlightened
The 80mm does have a slight lip. Lip OD is about 79.75mm, ID (start of curvature) is roughly 77mm, rim is 2.6mm thick. I don't have a fixed focal length as I was free handing focus with my PT120 and an XR-E. Plan on 80mm for the big PT54/120. Sorry wish I could be more help. The shipping is a pain but I always ordered at least two or more lenses when possible. Even the 52mm I ordered might have possibilities with a secondary lens.

Last edited:

bigterk

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the post , ordered a couple to try out .

ganz-lite

Newly Enlightened
so what size aspheric on melles griot is recommended for a 3-D maglite? (I am thoroughly confused by the site)

Jason